Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€10k+efficient+reliable = ?

• 03-06-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Sorry for yet another suggestion thread but don't want to leave any stone unturned in the search for a new car... and I would trust the opinions of the majority of posters here.

Currently drive an e30 320i bmw, love it to bits and don't want to get rid of it, might even hang on to it for a while but need to upgrade to something that I know will last me and is easier on the juice as I will be doing a lot more mileage with work for the forseeable future.

I've €10k to work with and just looking for the best value for money I can find.

I would like a diesel, new enough car (not a plate snob) with low enough mileage considering year and type of car ... the usual suspects. Oh and air con, definitely need some a/c, my own car may as well be a sauna in this weather.

I've been looking at Mondeo's, Focus', Octavia's and possibly Golf's so far but im sure I am missing something...

Any suggestions out there to throw into the mix?

Appreciate any help, thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I have a 07 Nissan Note 1.4 petrol, has air con and one month tax left. I know you said deisel but this might do the job at €9k ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Vikings wrote: »
    I've €10k to work with and just looking for the best value for money I can find.

Why not keep the car you like and put the €10K towards petrol? Should be good for a few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Thanks for the offer but it wouldn't really be my style!

Should also add that engine size i'd like to keep in and arond the 1.9/2.0l range.
    Zube wrote: »
    Why not keep the car you like and put the €10K towards petrol? Should be good for a few miles.

I never thought of it like that :D not a bad idea!! Ah no, it's got 151k miles on it already and developing some rust in hard to reach places.. it would do me as a daily driver for quite another while but don't want to be dumping €100 petrol into it each week, that €10k would only last me a year at that rate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

don't want to be dumping €100 petrol into it each week, that €10k would only last me a year at that rate!

Whatever you buy, you'll have to put fuel into it. Do your sums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

CianRyan wrote: »
    That one is 11500 ex VRT. VRT is an additional 4750.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Whatever you do keep the e30 if you have space to store it, I regret getting rid of mine every day :(.

What about a Fabia VRS or Ibiza Cupra TDi, both fun cars with a bit of poke.

Either that or one (up north) of these if you still want rwd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

JHMEG wrote: »
    That one is 11500 ex VRT. VRT is an additional 4750.

Ah, you're right. I missed that, fairly out of price range. The others are nice though.

I'd keep the E30 too, and when you have the time and money, restore it and you'll have a gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

I quite like the look of that, but I'm driving a f@cking Kangoo! Don't do it. False economy.

Double check your numbers: €100 a week is €5K a year, not €10K.

• Advertisement

Ticks all the boxes. Low mileage, ("whispering") diesel, power, and obviously reliable! Top spec too.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1410811

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ticks all the boxes. Low mileage, ("whispering") diesel, power, and obviously reliable! Top spec too.

I was going to suggest an Accord too but the OP wants to keep the engine size down to 2.0 litre or below though.

Gorgeous car, i'm only round the corner from that at the minute so might pop in have a look at it this evening or tomorrow.. nice spec on it too. Was looking at keeping it to under 2.0 so not as to pay more on tax but that is a very nice car and would tempt me to spend the extra €200 a year on the tax.

Had been looking at the diesel BMW's a fair bit, especially after having the e30 it seemed logical but to get a nice example within my budget i'm looking at high mileage - I know its not necessarily a bad thing but thinking a little of resale value at the same time.

Going to take a loot at the car now after 5 to see whats what, any particular questions I should ask considering the car that it is?

Also what do you would be a reasonable price to pay for it, i'm thinking in or around the 8.5 to 9.5 range? Want to go in with a little knowledge, won't be buying there or then but nice to have some heads up on things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I have a 2001 318Ci if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭tommycahir

The honda accord definitely ticks all the boxes and the Honda diesel engine has got excellent reviews for both reliability and for economy.

Would be definitely be one that I would recommend and actually I am looking for one but at a little below your budget. :-D

Regards
    Tommy

JHMEG, you may have just bought me a car :D A fine salesman you would make.

Going to mull over it for a few hours before dropping a deposit down this evening but everything seems to check out so far.

Only thing was the VSA (vehicle stability assist) was changed in March, had some fault and a new one was put in, receipts included so not sure if its something to worry about.

I take it you like it then!? I spent most of yesterday driving one.

If you're worried about anything haggle an extented warranty out of the dealer. There is a recession on you know, and all going well the warranty shouldn't actually cost the dealer anything.

Loved it yeah, was a really nice drive.. I didn't want to get out of it afterwards. Very comfortable car.

He's offering 6 months bumper to bumper which isn't too bad and knocked a few hundred quid off it. I'll see what more I can get off it but she could be mine by next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

He's offering 6 months bumper to bumper which isn't too bad and knocked a few hundred quid off it. I'll see what more I can get off it but she could be mine by next week.

That's not a bad warranty deal at all for a 5 year old car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement