Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Elections Poll

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

I know it's a bit late,

but who will you vote in the Euros?

Who are you giving first preference to in the European Elections? 71 votes

Pat “The Cope” Gallagher (FF)
    0% 0 votes
    Declan Ganley (Lib)
    2% 2 votes
    Marian Harkin (Ind)
    26% 19 votes
    Jim Higgins (FG)
    23% 17 votes
    John Francis Higgins (Ind)
    12% 9 votes
    Thomas King (Ind)
    0% 0 votes
    Noel McCullagh (Ind)
    1% 1 vote
    Pádraig Mac Lochlainn (SF)
    0% 0 votes
    Michael McNamara (Ind)
    5% 4 votes
    Paschal Mooney (FF)
    1% 1 vote
    Susan O'Keefe (Lab)
    1% 1 vote
    Fiachra Ó Luain (Ind)
    22% 16 votes
    Joe O'Reilly (FG)
    1% 1 vote
    Atari Jaguar (O)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ganley for sure.

No, I jest;

O'Keeffe (Labour)
    Mac Loughlainn (SF)
    Harkin (Ind)
    And so on down the list with Ganley getting my bottom choice.

I'm trying to vote strategically to keep him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

Declan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Giving everyone a preference except Ganley and the Shinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

This poll is probably not representative of the type of people that vote IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm doing the same as kickoutthejams only giving Marian Harkin my first pref :) Haven't decided on the rest yet.

What does the O after Atari Jaguar mean? :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why is Ganley's name in italics and the rest is normal script?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

snubbleste wrote: »

Ha ha! you just gave away your vote!

Libertas? Seriously? :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Because he was your selection in the vote.

Everyone see's their selection in italics, so you can remember what you voted.

So for me Marian Harkin is in italics, because I selected her.

This poll is probably not representative of the type of people that vote IMHO

Yah but it might be fun to compare the actual results for Galway city, to see just how representative or unrepresentative boardsies are of the general population!

cornbb wrote: »
    What does the O after Atari Jaguar mean? :D

Other!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Expect a press release out of HQ accusing the country of running a concerted campaign against him and his international brigade of euro fighters.

It also means you voted for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Oh ok, i had a very blonde moment there :D

Yeah i'm voting for those who advocate a No to Lisbon, so Ganley, MacLochlainn and then some independents from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Do any of the independents (except Harkin of course) stand any chance of even taking a credible % of the vote?

O'Luain seems to be a good candidate with solid policies from what ive read about him (interviews etc..)

As for Ganley - not a hope in hell and tbh im absolutely amazed at the no. of people i have met and know personally that are considering giving him a tick this Friday - transparency in Europe, what about transparency in how Libertas is funded and aside from that how Mr.Ganley makes his money

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Oh ok, i had a very blonde moment there :D

Yeah i'm voting for those who advocate a No to Lisbon, so Ganley, MacLochlainn and then some independents from me
    It's an election not a referendum. Moreover, how do you expect an MEP to go about opposing the Treaty if elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Jugs82 wrote: »
    As for Ganley - not a hope in hell and tbh im absolutely amazed at the no. of people i have met and know personally that are considering giving him a tick this Friday - transparency in Europe, what about transparency in how Libertas is funded and aside from that how Mr.Ganley makes his money

People (well some) don't have this problem with the Shinners, what makes you think some won't with Libertas?

I voted against the Lisbon Treaty but frankly we have much more important issues in the EU at the moment than the treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

surprised at the vote for harkin, shes ff-lite. imo A vote for harkin is a vote for this gov.

Its ganley for me, the easiest way to hurt ff, if he gets elected it will be a pr disaster for the gov, happy days
    ganley/fg/lab in that order

skelliser wrote: »
    surprised at the vote for harkin, shes ff-lite. imo A vote for harkin is a vote for this gov.

Its ganley for me, the easiest way to hurt ff, if he gets elected it will be a pr disaster for the gov, happy days
    ganley/fg/lab in that order

I hear your face likes your nose, you might want to cut it off to spite it...

Boards.ie polls are always strange; anyone remember the 2007 election thread where it was polled that Pighead would be the next taoiseach?

I hear your face likes your nose, you might want to cut it off to spite it...

What are you on about?!!
    Are you that scared of ganley that your reducing yourself to dry insults.
    I'm entitled to my opinion and my vote. This is a democracy.

I couldnt care less if ganley is a cia spook or whatever hatchet job ff or rte pull, i listened to most of the nw debates and the vast majority of the time was spent attacking ganley with all sorts of nonsense rather then any issues. It shows that the established crowd are scared of him. Also ff last week called on fg supporters not to give ganley any transfers! cause they now they will need all the transfers they can get. Desperate to hold onto power at any cost.

I say let ganley have a go, shake up the system, stir the pot, whatever.
    In reality the european parlaiment is a talking shop anyways. This misguided propaganda that libertas is some sort of evil party thats gonna take over and spread throughout the eu is folly. Just look at their polling in other eu countries. Its a protest vote, nothing more.

Anything that shortens the term of this ff/green farce has to be weighed into your decision in these elections.

Sure look at Pat "the dope" gallagher, couldnt wait to get outta europe the last time and run back to the dail, now that this gov. is screwed he's running back to europe!! Only interested in saving his own ass!

A vote for ff/green or harkin is a stamp of approval of the current state of the country.

• Advertisement

What are you on about?!!
    Are you that scared of ganley that your reducing yourself to dry insults.
    I'm entitled to my opinion and my vote. This is a democracy.

It's not an insult. You said you wanted to vote in Ganley to make a "PR Disaster" for FF. Where is that PR disaster? In Ireland? No. It's a "PR Disaster" for FF in Europe, and by extension a "PR Disaster" for Ireland, and in particular a "PR Disaster" for the North West who elect him on his wreckers charter.

I would go as far as to say if Ganley get's his way it's more than a "PR Disaster", it's an actual disaster for Europe, given that he is out to weaken the EU, and keep it mired as much as possible in a bloated unworkable form. But sure if that annoys FF, well then whoop de do.

If that isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face I don't know what is?

well that depends on your view of europe which i can see is different then mine.
    I dont see any viable future to libertas. Dont worry libertas wont destroy europe.

My point is that a pr disaster for ff in europe means more pressure on ff at home, thus shortening there lifespan.

well that depends on your view of europe which differs to mine.

Indeed, thank you for your honesty, Libertas could learn a thing or two from you...
    Dont worry libertas wont destroy europe.

Given that you want to elect him, it might be better if they did, North West isn't about to 'make friends and influence people' in the EU if he goes over to represent us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd be inclined to agree with skelliser that this country needs a change in administration but if anyone could take us from bad to worse I believe it must be Declan Ganley. He is very sparing with the truth and his motives and policies are completely unclear. He is the unelected billionaire leader of his party and is trying to buy his way into power via spindoctors and scare tactics. Everything he claims is a contradiction of reality, he claims that his party is pro-Europe and is neither to the right nor the left but all the signs and alliances point to them being a fringe right-wing Euroskeptic party or worse. Just today in the Galway Advertiser he claims that Ireland still has its commissioner because we voted no to the Lisbon Treaty. This is an extreme distortion of the truth, for reasons that have been covered many times in these forums and elsewhere, and it is typical of his tactics. Even Naoise Nunn, Ganley's former right hand man during the Lisbon campaign, came out recently and admitted much the same thing.

Our current leaders are dire but at least we know where we stand with them. Declan Ganley is worse than that, he is sinister. I appreciate that people might want to use their vote to protest but there are safer ways of doing this than by voting for Ganley. And don't try claiming that I'm part of this imaginary conspiracy against Ganley, I'm not aligned with any party, I'm voting based on the facts as I see them. If you think that other parties and the media are all uniting and rounding on Ganley are because of some conspiracy, perhaps you should consider that they are extremely wary of him because of the dishonesty and spin that he is bringing into Irish politics that makes Fianna Fáil's sins look trivial by comparison. And believe me, I'm no Fianna Fáil fan.

Im not aligned to any party neither.
    If you want spin I recall peter sutherland (i think) before the nice treaty saying that we would have our comissioner for 150 years!

I dont wanna reduce this thread to a debate on lisbon, so back on track from now on.

Personally I'm looking forward to giving FF a good kicking in the locals.

If party members aren't being elected to the councils they are more likely to rebel against Cowens leadership, possibly resulting in motions of no confidence and if we're lucky a General Election.

That's the best way to kick FF.

Im not aligned to any party neither.
    If you want spin I recall peter sutherland (i think) before the nice treaty saying that we would have our comissioner for 150 years!

He's not 'our' comissioner, Charlie McCreevy (the current comissioner nominated by Ireland) is legally obliged to represent the interests of the EU as a whole. If he was caught giving favouritism to Ireland he would be removed from his post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

toiletduck wrote: »
    People (well some) don't have this problem with the Shinners, what makes you think some won't with Libertas?

Still alot of people who have problems with SF - The whole emergence of Libertas scares me and TBH im delighted that the polls have them going so badly across Europe - remember Ganley predicted over a 100 seats, then creating a Libertas group within European parliment - he's now predicting 6 which is still wildly optimistic IMO

Its the ties to the US military, their stance on Immigration, their financial backing - where does it come from, their blantant manipulation of situations to gain votes (Shell to Sea, Fishing rights, immigration etc..) Also, their policies and v.wishy-washy (forgive the english) - Libertas Policies - littered with typo's i may add

Also on their homepage - they have Transparency and Accountability as two key principles - where is the transparency within Libertas itself?

Whatever you may think about the Lisbon treaty, i dont think been No to Lisbon should become Yes to Libertas

Personally I'm looking forward to giving FF a good kicking in the locals.

If party members aren't being elected to the councils they are more likely to rebel against Cowens leadership, possibly resulting in motions of no confidence and if we're lucky a General Election.

That's the best way to kick FF.

Thats a given but add in a smiley headed elected Ganley and its even more bad news for ff.

• Advertisement

He's not 'our' comissioner, Charlie McCreevy (the current comissioner nominated by Ireland) is legally obliged to represent the interests of the EU as a whole. If he was caught giving favouritism to Ireland he would be removed from his post.

i know man and i agree with you, i was just highlighting the spin both sides use. but the reality is quite different. people percieve that we need "our man" at the table.

Advertisement