Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web/tech help needed

• 03-06-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

A friend of mine has been running a soccer prediction league whereby members predict the scores in the ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea games each week in aid of the Niall Mellon Trust.

The league has grown to 200+ members so it has become too much administration for my friend to take. The problem is that he has been copying and pasting information from a standard excel file he sends around each week with the matches, and people email back the sheet with their predictions.

He then uses a series of clever "if" statements to figure out everyones score for the week.

So all this work has become too much for him due to family commitments, and he has asked me to take it over for a few months. As a fellow Niall Mellon volunteer I have said yes, but would prefer not to have to do all that work!

So... anyone willing to help me come up with a better solution?

I was thinking of a small website where people get a login and password. Upload their predictions using a series of dropdown menus, and the information is fed into some sort of database at the backend which does all the calculations.

Any better ideas?

Anyone willing to help me set it up? I'm useless at that sort of thing...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

it should be easy enough to whip up something in PHP. i might be able to do it, dunno yet thoughh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

Just don't forget that chances are if you are going to have a website with a database etc that you will in all likelihood have to fork out for a web-hosting package & domain name....not necessarily all that expensive but just an additional cost you will have to think of.

Like towel401 says though, what you're suggesting isn't overly complex

Advertisement