Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths (O) what formulas are given in exam

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi
    Can someone please tell me what formulae are given in the exam (or in the maths tables) and which ones we need to learn off. I spend loads of time learning of the differentiation ones (product & quotients ones) and then someone told me they are on page 42 of the maths tables which we are given in the exam. I am 30 and repeating the maths exam as I failed it the 1st time about 10 years ago so didn't get a chance to do a pre but someone else told me you are given a sheet with formula on it but not all the formulae you need only some, but I don't know which ones I need to learn and which ones we are given.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

off the top of my head:

simpsons rule is given
    all area and volume thingies are given
    product and chain and quotient rule, given
    standard deviation and other stuff for statistic - NOT given
    all your regular line and circle stuff is NOT given, and basic stuff like midpoint, length, slope, etc, you have to learn all those

er thats all i can think of without a maths book in my hand but to be honest you'd have an easier time of it if you could pick up a copy of the log tables from your post office/stationary place, they only cost a euro or two and it'd put your mind at rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Richlp5

thanks Deex great help to me.

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

the simps rule is really hard to under stand in the log tables, best just to learn off h/3 (1st + last tofe) or something along those lines :D need to have a check on that again before monday

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

you're welcome, not a bother! good luck to you too!
    if you want me to have a proper look through my textbook and log tables and come up with a more definitive list, just let me know!

and yeah, simpsons rule is really complicated in the log tables actually... the way we remember it in my school is with toffee... TOFE = two x odd + four x even

h/3 (first + last + two x odd + four x even)

:)

thanks Deex a definitive list would be great and would be a help to other people aswell but no bother if you havn't got the time as I know you are probably very busy yourself and the what you have told me already has been a great help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

http://www.rte.ie/tv/ttv/ttv/leavingcert/Copy%20of%20formulas%20file%2009.pdf

All formula needed is there, and it tell you what is in the log tables and what page. The "Thank You" button is below this post.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

If you use the formula to do Sequesnces and Series they are NOT given and must be learned

thanks gavin saved me a lot of time. appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I'd strongly recommend, as already suggested, that you go to your nearest bookshop and pick up a set of tables (€2).

Apart from knowing which formulae are in it, it's also important to have a look through the actual book, so you know where to find everything.

By the way, the person who mentioned to you that they got a sheet of formulae was probably doing foundation level. They get a formula sheet separately from the standard tables book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

Do they give us free log tables? Because my current set would probably get me in jail if they read what people wrote on them. :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

They give you log tables in the exam - you're not meant to bring your own in. They're also supposed to get them back at the end, *cough cough cough*.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

They give you log tables in the exam - you're not meant to bring your own in. They're also supposed to get them back at the end, *cough cough cough*.

They have new ones this year too!

YOINK

During the JC, the set of Log Tables I was given had all the formula/some of the theorems written in!

Madness.

Pity I actually learnt them.........

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭don101

Do they give us free log tables? Because my current set would probably get me in jail if they read what people wrote on them. :S

they supply tables on the day!
    what if you replaced what would land you in jail with the formulas that arnt included? easy way to cheat so they suppy em to ya!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

diff from first priciples i think ya need to know .
    anyone out there doing the x+h method explain it if ya can cant get it to work out for me

Tom1991 wrote: »
    diff from first priciples i think ya need to know .
    anyone out there doing the x+h method explain it if ya can cant get it to work out for me

Just say, we're differentiating 3x^2.

f(x) = 3x^2
    f(x+h) = 3(x+h)^2 [Just replace the x with x+h]
    f(x+h) = 3(x^2 + 2xh + h^2)

Now, we subtract f(x) from f(x+h):

f(x+h)-f(x) = 3x^2 + 6xh + h^2 - 3x^2
    f(x+h)-f(x) = 6xh + h^2 [as the 3x^2's cancel]

Now, we divide everything - on both sides - by h:

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h = 6x + h [the h divides in, and cancels, the h in 6xh and the second h in h^2]

Now, we take the limit as h tends towards 0:

lim(h->0) = 6x (because the h on it's own just "disappears"]

So, the answer is:

f'(x): 3x^2 = 6x

If you've any particular problems, just say.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What question is that far, as ive never seen all that before :eek: (we don't/didn't learn question 6/8)

I'm not too sure for ordinary level, it would come up in one of the differentiation questions, anyway. I think ye only have to know nx^2 + nx (where n is just some number).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

thanks the lack of subtracting x is what threw me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Be careful with the differentiation forumlas in the tables - they don't make reference to using the chain rule, you have to know to do that yourself

For example, according to the log tables

if y=sin(x) (where 'x' is the angle) then dy/dx = cos(x)

but in reality, if y=sin(x), dy/dx = cosx * (derivative of the angle)

e.g y = sin4x
    then dy/dx = 4cos4x

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Do we just need to now the Sequences and Series formulae and the Chain Rule for paper one.

Are all others in Tables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Kournikova wrote: »
    Do we just need to now the Sequences and Series formulae and the Chain Rule for paper one.

Are all others in Tables.

This!

• Advertisement

Looking over a paper now!

Bear in mind that |x+yi| means modulus which is the distance formula using the real as A and the imaginary number without the i as B!

That's all I can notice myself from my severely lacking math skills! I think we'll be needing a few formulae for the sequence and series, can anyone please post the ones we need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Make sure you know your law of indices for tomorrow.

And the compound interest formula and differentiation from first principles.

I only vaguely remember first principles... We did the stupid delta thing... Can anyone post a reminder on how to do it this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Omg yeah diff by first principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

because of the huge failure rate last year will this maths exam be easier??

f(x+h) sub this in for x

f(x+h) - f(x)

f(x+h) - f(x)
    h

lim --> 0

K4t wrote: »
    Make sure you know your law of indices for tomorrow.

And the compound interest formula and differentiation from first principles.

what chapter is law of indices in?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Claypigeon wrote: »
    I only vaguely remember first principles... We did the stupid delta thing... Can anyone post a reminder on how to do it this way?

i know how to do it it i have no idea what i am actually doing. out teacher just made us learn it. i will try to explain.

y=x2 + 3x + 4
    y +deltay = x2 +2xdeltax + deltax2 + 3x +3deltax +4

now cancel out the first line, you are left with,

deltay = 2xdeltax + deltax2 +3deltax

delta y over delta x = 2x +deltax + 3

dy over dx = 2x +3.

tazbars wrote: »
    f(x+h) sub this in for x

f(x+h) - f(x)

f(x+h) - f(x)
    h

lim --> 0

..what

• Advertisement

Claypigeon wrote: »
    ..what

pffffft ha well thats my formula not too good at explaining, think someone else explained it on the previous page

Advertisement