Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bliss/urban decay type cosmetics in Penneys

• 03-06-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Has anybody bought the new cosmetics in Penneys. They are packaged almost the same as Urban Decay and Bliss so obviously they look good. The look is so similar I was standing there today wondering how they get away with it:eek: Everything seems to cost €2 or €2.50. I didn't have time to queue and I don't need any of the stuff but a few things really caught my eye. The pretty blue showercap that looks like something Benefit would make, a bronzer that has stripes like a Bobbi Brown shimmerbrick, mascara called "9 1/2 winks".

But can cosmetics this cheap be any good? Has anyone tried them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Didn't see any looking like Urban Decay stuff, but did pick up the white packaged little duo shadow dust pots, stayed on through hiking in 35degrees in Portugal last week without primer so gonna pick up some more colours soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I would never buy make-up from Penneys. Ever.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I bought some of the Opia makeup they had there a few months ago (eyeshadow quads, eye pencils, lip and cheek tint) - very impressed by the quality for the price, so I wouldn't have any qualms in buying more from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

i was in pennys in blanchardstown last week and noticed they've done a total rehaul on the makeup. Their nail varnishes, lip gloss and body creams are great

i bought that collosall mascara from mabelline and find it is appauling total waste of €12.. but i put a cheapo pennys mascara underneath and it makes all the difference :D

they are defintiely worth trying, for €2.50 each, wots the harm? i dont wear alot of make up, i like to keep my good make up products for work/going out, the rest of the time, these products are ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Had a look at them the other day and all the eyeshadows and blushers and stuff were smashed and the powder was everywhere. Can't be very good quality if they break that easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I bought an opia pink blush which was lovely, no complaints.

Haven't tried anything else yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Cheek highlighter from Opia is awesome! I got mine on sale for 50c, every bit as good as my No.7 one, if not better. Wasn't mad on the Opia mascara, too thick a formula for my lashes. I don't see what's so terrible about buying make up in Penneys, fine you might be a bit dubious but for the price its worth a shot!

moonflower wrote: »
    Had a look at them the other day and all the eyeshadows and blushers and stuff were smashed and the powder was everywhere. Can't be very good quality if they break that easily.

I've seen plenty of people complain about how Mac MSF's break very easily - would that be a quality issue too?

Jaysis that sounded mean :rolleyes: Just meant that it can also be down to people not having respect when in a shop and don't care if they let a load of eyeshadows fall on the ground, which then get stood on by other people. It's not always down to quality :pac:

I found the eyeshadows I have to be pretty good quality for the price. The colour payoff is great even though a bit of fallout can occur. Definitely a damn sight better than some more expensive products I have anywho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

The range was reviewed in one of the papers/weekend mags and the reviewer raved about them. Especially for the price.

I'm heading away in a few weeks and rather than bringing a heap load of make-up with me (I'm flying Ryanair with hand luggage only), I'll be making a stop at Primark and buying a few bits. Then throw it away before I get back on the plane! :)

To help stop your eyeshadows/powders from smashing, put a small wad of tissue in the case and this will help stop the breakage due to rough handling/bashing in make-up bag. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I loooove Penney's new range of make up! I wouldn't use the foundation or anything like that 'cause I have really sensitive skin but I have to say their retractable eye liner is one of the best I've ever used, it's really nice and black and it stays on for AGES. Eye shadows are fine too, can't really go wrong for one or two euro! Also, Benefit's High Beam is one of my favourite products ever and Opia now have one that looks exactly like it. The consistancy is slightly different but it's not bad at all and 1.50 compared to about 25 euro is amazing value for money!
    I'd definitely say try it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭rockchik

I have to say I think some of the new penneys make up is quite good!!I got a few things there, ok the liquid eye shadow "Eye Shine Brightly" is crap it literally creases after 1 blink, their mascara "9 and and half winks) is actually fairly good! I usually use Estee Lauder double wear mascara and I would defo use the penneys brand instead for a while, and their blusher stick is really nice!! their range of coconut cosmetics is gorgeous!!!!:eek: I got the body scrub(not so great) and I got the lip balm.....gorgeous and the body butter....gonna go and stock up on that big time!!It was 2.50 for the tub, its the same size as the big tub of The Body Shop body butter and its so soft would defo recommend it! And it doesnt smell too strong either! As for the make up smashed on the ground....that can happen with any brand if people drop them on the ground and they get kicked around so that would not reflect on the quality of the make up!!Anyway I am well impressed with the new range and cant wait to try out more products!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What is the eyeshadow colour quality like? When I worked in Zara, I used to buy the makeup in the sale, the eyeshadow colours looked amazing in the pot, but went on so watery and faint. I just don't reckon the cheaper makes have the same depth of colour as the dearer makes. In saying that, €2.50 is hard to beat, especially for 'experimental' colours that you might want to try, but don't want to fork out a fortune for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

ncmc wrote: »
    What is the eyeshadow colour quality like? When I worked in Zara, I used to buy the makeup in the sale, the eyeshadow colours looked amazing in the pot, but went on so watery and faint. I just don't reckon the cheaper makes have the same depth of colour as the dearer makes. In saying that, €2.50 is hard to beat, especially for 'experimental' colours that you might want to try, but don't want to fork out a fortune for.
    No idea about the palette type ones, but the shadow dust pots are as good as the Barry M ones, nice pigmentation, long lasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Bought two paletes of eyeshadows there today, very good! Just tried them there, really soft, don't actually need to use as much as i though (thought they'd be very faint).Great value for money! Also bought a chunky blue eyeliner, and i have to say, it's fantastic! The colour is very vivid and it's reallllly soft.
    Bought the mango body butter and grapefruit showergel too, they smell yum! They've loads of handy things that cost a lot anywhere else, bought a load of nail files for €1.50.
    Great for stocking up with stuff for holidays.

So I went a bit mad in there today - eyeshadows, liners, lip stiff, blush stuff :rolleyes: Let me know if any of you would like swatches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Swatches, yes please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Seen the new packaging today, it looks gorgeous! The Opia liquid eyeliner is savage, bought a few eyeshadhows there. Bought a duo pack of blue nail varnish last year, still hasn't run out and the pigment in it is far better than the Rimmel I bought which was meant to be the same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭jenny retro

i agree on the retractable black eyeliner, its loverly!! i also got a pot of whitey goldey eye shimmer (for 1.50) its really nice and sparkley as well and soooo cheap. got a travel set of brushes yesterday (its like one stick and about 8 "tops", like diff size eyeshadow brushes, eyebrow comb, smudger etc that you put on the stick), its a tacky pink but handy for 2 quid!

Swatches, yes please!

The sad thing is, I actually did do swatches! If I remember in two weeks, I'll upload them then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

jenizzle wrote: »
    The sad thing is, I actually did do swatches! If I remember in two weeks, I'll upload them then!

...What're swatches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

...What're swatches?

It's a picture of the colours of the makeup on skin if that makes sense? like if you were testing it on your hand but neater

Advertisement