Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia no longer send out MMS/GPRS/etc settings to your phone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

no unfortunately they've removed it, i had it saved as a bookmark and now it only gives the wizard. Its a pain in the ar$e now. I'd love to know why they changed it- maybe due to the fact companies use different access points for cheaper access, ie vodafone live, people might download the wrong one and use the vodafone isp or something instead. What a pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

My theory is that it was removed due to cost. Imagine having to send out hundreds of thousands text messages daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

blaz wrote: »
    My theory is that it was removed due to cost. Imagine having to send out hundreds of thousands text messages daily.

I'd agree that that's probably it. To provision an AP takes about 2 (maybe 3) messages. So you're probably talking about a cost of at least 10c per user of the service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

matrim wrote: »
    I'd agree that that's probably it. To provision an AP takes about 2 (maybe 3) messages. So you're probably talking about a cost of at least 10c per user of the service
    Sure they are automatically send to your phone now whenever you use a new one. I just popped my SIM into a test phone last week and I got the settings within a few hours. Also, most Nokia's either have a Wizard or you can get them OTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ye most, if not all new nokias have a settings wizard which will update the settings in a few seconds. Normally under the tools folder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Sure they are automatically send to your phone now whenever you use a new one. I just popped my SIM into a test phone last week and I got the settings within a few hours. Also, most Nokia's either have a Wizard or you can get them OTA.

They (Nokia) do, or the operator does?

I know Meteor at least send you settings when you lash your sim in a new phone.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    They (Nokia) do, or the operator does?

I know Meteor at least send you settings when you lash your sim in a new phone.
    Meteor do but Nokia have the software on most phones now to download them OTA.

Meteor do but Nokia have the software on most phones now to download them OTA.

Perhaps the S60 models (N series, E series, etc.) have it, but not the S40 models.

blaz wrote: »
    Perhaps the S60 models (N series, E series, etc.) have it, but not the S40 models.
    Got an Nokia 5220 here, has the option in the settings.

Menu > Settings > Configuration > Connect to Support.

Got an Nokia 5220 here, has the option in the settings.

Menu > Settings > Configuration > Connect to Support.

Nokia 3120 classic: "Service provider support not found. Contact your service provider for settings."

• Advertisement
Advertisement