Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else doing Eireman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm not doing it this year because I had already entered DE and CH when I heard about it but I'll definitely be up for it next year. How is training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I have not signed up yet, but i am strongly considering doing this HIM race. I have just completed my first triathlon (olympics), and from that experience, the 21km run after the 90km cycle of the HIM needs a lot of TLC!
    Though running 21kms itself is not an issue as i do this once per week. My leg muscles just cramp after the cycle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I was entered for the IM in Roth but decided to stay at home and signed up for the full. Id like to say Im doing it but until I physically putting my goggles down for the swim we'll see ;)

Personally the closed roads was a big draw. Eoin and the other organisers have had a major coup in closing a section of the N11. Route is relatively flat for both bike and run.

I did the half at Ireman last September. Not having closed roads was for me a bit of a pain but for others a major gripe. Additionally the scenic run along the coast can test your patience in addition to your endurance at the rear end of a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Doing the HIM myself. One of my 3 main race objectives for 2009.
    Fingers crossed should be a good day out. Its set in a nice area and course seems favourable.
    Will hope to get in a bike ride or two on the planned bike route before the event.
    06:30 am race start will be interesting.

Abhainn wrote: »
    06:30 am race start will be interesting.

breakfast at 3am is always tough. I generally try for a nap afterwards but rarely get back to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

911sc wrote: »
    I have not signed up yet, but i am strongly considering doing this HIM race. I have just completed my first triathlon (olympics), and from that experience, the 21km run after the 90km cycle of the HIM needs a lot of TLC!
    Though running 21kms itself is not an issue as i do this once per week. My leg muscles just cramp after the cycle..

Ah so you're new to the triathlon scene, I thought you'd been around alot. Explains alot actually (i.e. unwaivering support) :)

Which muscles cramp?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

breakfast at 3am is always tough. I generally try for a nap afterwards but rarely get back to sleep.

Dave's Lesson Learnt The Hard Way #2678:
    When having breakfast at 3am for a 6:30am start and when planning to go back to sleep - do not include copious amounts of coffee in your breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

There are 315 entries signed up to date....
    The breakdown is as follows 47 'Ironmen distance' 223 doing the Half, 43 Olympic and 5 relay teams.

I do expect the numbers to rise - perhaps double and some... I really hope they do!! It may have gone unnoticed that we are giving out a Total of 12k in prize money so every entry counts (and i really mean this!!). In light of not getting a big sponsor (I've not given up yet - its a daily trawl) and having advertised internationally in the main magazines and tradeshows - the break even line is a good bit away.
    Begs to ask the question - why in Gods name would you do that....?!

The answer is simple. This race course is World class... Several Ironman ppl who I would hold in high reguard have echoed as much.
    I've been reading the boards and listening to Triathletes for a long time. A few key things have always cropped up.
    Closed Roads
    No Drafting
    Good under foot surface
    Safe place to Race - no funnies
    Proper distances
    (this is not a go at any other races in Ireland or elsewhere btw - this is just what ppl have expressed) Pls don't take this out of context.

I believe Eireman ticks all these boxes. So much so that we have invested in the editor of Triathlete magazine to come over from the States to do a feature on the race in Triathlete magazine. They have a 64k subscription globally. Roll on 2010...

Long story short we have a potential diamond of a race that in a few years will rival the best of them Globally. The 3 year plan is to turn it into a full IM distance - but we'll play that one by ear... This might be the first and only year we do the Olympic - so nows your chance (yes that is a plug/ hint...)

There are a few Pro's humming and hawing about entering (still)... I could have had some real big names back in Jan but the budget would stretch to their requests. Nice that we were approached by them - we are on the radar! We were also going to be on Setanta sports but i had to pull that for the same reason

So to end my Broadcast on behalf of the 'highly Strung but optimistic race directors Party.....' I hope ppl will take a considered look at the Eireman race on Polling day 23rd August
    www.eireman.org

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am considering the Olympic as an alternative to Dublin, and with the chance of a top 50 finish now it seems :D

Ran the Wexford half you organised a few months back and if these are as well done it should be a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Thinking of doiing the HIM myself. I haven't done one before but I am having problems staying injury free to allow me get enough run training in, old age is kicking in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

I have just started OW swim for the year and have my first tri (olympic) on Sunday. I have already done a longer cycle ride than what I did for my two Ironman races that I have done. I will do a HIM in the build but Bala is too early in the year for me.

In the build up to the IM races that I have done I gradually over a week changed the time I was waking up to get up at 4am on race day.

Eoin, is there a route profile of the run and cycle courses?

Have you tried the company that is celebrating 250 years the month after the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

"It may have gone unnoticed that we are giving out a Total of 12k in prize money so every entry counts (and i really mean this!!)."

What is the break down of the prizes? Is it for pro's or AG's? Whats the split and likely prizes for AG podium places?

Its one shoe fits all.... We don't differentiate between Pros and AG's (this year)

breakdown of prizes is here http://www.eireman.org/prizes

Eoin, is there a route profile of the run and cycle courses?

Have you tried the company that is celebrating 250 years the month after the race?[/quote]

There will be shortly.

Yep - i tried them. Interesting you should say that. Thats what all the Yanks were saying to me and a few Brits. They all thought it was a perfect fit.... Plus with the international exposure we will get... I thought so too
    Went straight to the Head Man of Ireland and got a letter back.
    No joy - I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Offer a prize for slowest finish and I'll sign up today :)

I'll sponsor that prize just to see Amadeus in rubber and lycra :-)
    Do you even own a bike A.?

Eoin, you're going to have to stop posting here:pac:. Had a look at the entry list and can only see 6 women, but it's a week after the 100miler so just not possible. Torture though.

Slowest finisher gets instant fame...
    More ppl what to know about the poor sod who spent 17hrs on the course than the winner. Check out any IM dvd - they get equal exposure....
    So instant fame it is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I do own a bike as it happens, a trusty but rusty MTB that slogs in and out of Limerick City when I'm feeling green. As for your rubber and lycra fetish there are websites out there for that kind of perverted and kinky thing!

InstaFame.....hmmm tempting but I'll have to pass, looks like my tri cherry will remain unpopped :D

(admit it, you clicked on the link didn't you? :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

I'm signed up for the full IM

I've done a few half's, but this will be my first IM distance, so currently mixed feelings of excitement / fear :)

Looking forward to it.....just hoping I can get enough training done before it!

@ Eoin, I didn't notice the race in the triathlon 220 magazine race calendar.....the ireman in groomsport was though??

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

I really hope it'll take off.

I used to spend my summers down there when I was younger and its a great spot. There should be a great buzz around Courtown and Gorey as it'll be full of people during the summer.

I know quite a few people in my club who have been thinking about signing up, and I think the fact that there isnt a closing date anytime soon, is just leading them to put off signing up. As a result I think you should get alot more entries as it gets closer to the date.

Anyways looking forward to the 23rd.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    Which muscles cramp?

Tunney,
    Don't want to hijack this thread so stuck some info in this one
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Hows the training going I have done 1 HIM a few weeks ago and tested some stuff out for this race.
    I am sure there are easier ways to go sightseeing in this part of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 savaloy

eoin ryan wrote: »
    ........ Roll on 2010...
    </p>
    Eoin, any ideas on dates for 2010 yet?</p>

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Planning on doing the olympic but haven't signed up yet...really looking forward to it!

So were getting closer.... eh!

There have been some improvements made for all the races. Transition and finish are now in a closed carpark in the heart of the village. We have introduced a Sprint. Which was a pure fluke that there happens to be a junction at the correct location on the Motorway.... Sweet! ;)
    There are more things coming down the line yet to be confirmed but i'll let you know as the boxes are ticked

I really think ppl are going to like this course. If you wanna race.... we have the platform. If you wanna do your first open water swim and complete a triathlon - yes to this as well.

2010...errr! Round about the same time. Can't give a fix on it yet. Sorry

Every entry helps so pls pass the word. You don't get closed motorways for free...!!! It would be something if we could walk away in 2009 having broken even at least for all the efforts. :)

I have signed up for the half.
    Covering the distance will be my challenge as i have never done it. But i still have timing expectations:
    Swim 40min
    Cycle 3hours
    Run 2hours
    T1 & T2 2*5min
    Total 5h50min.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced and was the second entry in for the HIM. However on Friday I shredded my Achilles and will be in a cast for months recovering from surgery. My surgeon said it will be tough but if I work hard I can be back to full fitness within a year. So, next stop, Eireman HIM 2010. Don't make it too early in the year Eoin - I need all the time I can get!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

911sc wrote: »
    I have signed up for the half.
    Covering the distance will be my challenge as i have never done it. But i still have timing expectations:
    Swim 40min
    Cycle 3hours
    Run 2hours
    T1 & T2 2*5min
    Total 5h50min.

Hoping for exactly the same times for the half!!! worried\concerned about the swim - have heard that there can be pretty bad currents - anyone else heard anything about that???

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

SucCes09 wrote: »
    Hoping for exactly the same times for the half!!! worried\concerned about the swim - have heard that there can be pretty bad currents - anyone else heard anything about that???

Ditto for me on the times, really hope to go under 6hrs but I think the run could be my downfall as my run training has been hampered by injury.

• Advertisement

Courtown is reguarded as a safe place to swim.
    I've never heard any of the locals refer to "bad currents" and these ppl are boating people.

You hope for total calmness... And I've often seen that down there.
    But you could never bet the house on the sea anywhere being totally calm. C'est la vie

Advertisement