Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else doing Eireman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Thinking about logistic now...
    Registration & Race briefing is at 6pm on Saturday (thanks Eoin for your prompt reply to my PMl), hence I'll have to drive down on Sat afternoon and stay overnight (originally was thinking of driving on Sunday morning). I will drive down on my own, wife and boys staying home this time.
    So, where are you guys staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

The website is currently being updated with a new Timetable to show the sequence of events on the Sat & Sunday. Its under Race Week - Sequence of Events.http://www.eireman.org/node/12
    Note: There is no registration for Long & Middle on the Sunday - that hasn't changed (it was same on previous schedule)

The run route has been changed. New map is up. You just go further up the Ballymoney road then take a left and there isn't a loop in around Gorey town. This is an improvement for several reasons....

I guess at this stage people know we have opened a Sprint distance...?!

There are a few fast feckers taking part in the Long & Middle. I shall name no names for now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭milligank

Do anyone have a map my ride / run for the bike and run courses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi eoin

Just a question re the bike for olympic - is it 42km or 40km as bit confused from website.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Also another question.

For the swim for the long distance do you have to go up on to the beach before starting the second lap?

• Advertisement

Not sure where you got 42km but the Olympic is 41km....
    Can't reduce it to 40 as its a single loop.

For the Long distance you do two laps - haven't decided yet if we will do an out of water. Meeting this week to decide... ;) Prob not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

eoin ryan wrote: »
    For the Long distance you do two laps - haven't decided yet if we will do an out of water. Meeting this week to decide... ;) Prob not

That'd be great. I reckon Ill be doing enough walking/stumbling later on in the day ;)

Eoin,

As out of the water will be cool for the spectators !!!

If the laps are the same it may be hard to arrange with the other distances also taking place.

I did IM Nice last year where you came out of the water 2/3 round to then go and do a shorter loop. It can be useful if you have any kit issues such as googles leaking or they have got knocked off. However you should be getting into a good stroke rhythm by then and more spread out.

Won't be doing out of water... Have to agree with Irontractorboy - its the time to be relaxing into your stroke, helps keep heart rate down and makes for a faster swim generally speaking

Entries are closing on Wed 19th no more swaps from friday 14th...

Looking forward to this now..... 1 years solid work soon to kick into life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hey Eoin, mind me asking what the sprint/olympic numbers are at the moment... undecided between the two.

Sprint stands at 75
    Olympic at 125
    Middle 291
    Long 65 souls

Would like to see more entires into Kids race on Sat 22nd. Its now open to the public and the 2FM roadcaster will be down covering it... If people know any families that might be interested please direct them to the website www.eireman.org Its a swim and run competition. Prizes etc

Thanks

Eoin... I knwo you read this so sorry for the mistake in advance

All,

I have completed a map my run for the cycle course. I have tried to follow the map on the eireman site but got a little lost (so the link below is 15km short)

Basicially the link below shows the general bike course.If you click on the elevation checkbox (usually in the top right hand side) you will see the elevations on the course.

From Map my run site, it indicates 1% of clumbs (0-85m).

So this cycle seem flat with some dragsbut no climbs. Next 2 weeks will be spent on the TT bars for over 3 hours. I get a funny feeling that I won't be out of the saddle much.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/courtown/104124921030749370

Dude,

You have not covered the Middle distance course accurately.....
    If you know its wrong the best thing to do is not post it :confused:
    This causes confusion!!

If i get the time I'll post a correct one but for now can ppl ignore this.

Eoin

Eoin, don't you mean 65 eejit's? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

eoin ryan wrote: »
    If i get the time I'll post a correct one
    Eoin
    That would be great... I cannot figure out either the exact route based on route details on Eireman website.

911sc wrote: »
    That would be great... I cannot figure out either the exact route based on route details on Eireman website.

Was down around courttown over the weekend and can say a couple of things:

a) the route is straight forward - with the description and map it makes sense but I guess a mapmyride map will clarify things further for people.

b) the road that the half and full will be on is the best piece of road that Ive ridden on in the country to date. The best word I can use to describe it is 'slick'. Based on this and some of the names entered for the half Id say its gonna be a seriously fast course come the 23rd.

Shames Ive to go for a run after the bike - it'd be a great place to do a proper bike TT ;)

How undulating is the main bike section?

How undulating is the main bike section?

Hmm ... gentle rolls - with the surface being so slick its fine. Never needed to get out of the saddle or the like. Hoping this helps but I dont have a % gradient.

Its more likely the wind will be a factor but since for both the half and full its up and down it'll all balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

+1

Once you are out on the main road, lie down on the bars and go asleep for a few hours:-)

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    +1

Once you are out on the main road, lie down on the bars and go asleep for a few hours:-)

... or keep one eye open and see how the HIM competitors are tearing up the bike course - Id guess fastest bike split for the half will be around or under 2.20

I may stop for the occasional roadside picnic :)

So my training on a more undulating routes will make it seem easier on the day apart form the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gingerfurball

Morning!! :)

I'm looking for a HIM for next year and this looks like a good one - only posting about next year 'cos I saw other people showing interest....do you know if there are cut off times for the swim/bike/run. I know I'd get round the swim happily enough and if I start running I'll not stop till I'm finished. I'd just be worried about the bike cut off time (speaking from experience like!!):(

Eoin, will roads be fully closed from 6am? Will it be possible to drive to court town from gorey direction on the morning for the sprint race?

I'll answer that with a question...
    Did you get the email about road closures and how to get around them? (assuming you have signed up...)
    That gives the low down on roads/ closures/ times / how to divert etc.

Short ans is 'yes' you can get from Gorey to Courtown after 6am. But it won't be along the courtown road R742

Cheers Eoin, just signed up last night so didn't get a mail yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

What's the latest date to apply for the Olympic race?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Does anyone know if the loops for the cycle in the full distance race go back past transition each time or are the loops only on the dual carriageway?

jaymack75 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the loops for the cycle in the full distance race go back past transition each time or are the loops only on the dual carriageway?

Nope.
    Loops only on dual carriageway.

• Advertisement

jaymack75 wrote: »

It is loops on the Motorway.

Best place to have a look is Exit 22 (the Inch turn off) and will also be the Gorey turn off from 6am from Dublin.

From Dublin - Suggest you take this exit/ cross the flyover and then take the second EXIT to Inch and park up on the left hand side of the road. Please park here on the left side facing Inch otherwise you will be in the way of Sprint & Olympic ppl. Then walk back to the Roundabout and down to motorway. B a 400m walk.
    So in practice you could see the cyclists b4 you go to Courtown rather than driving around in circles.... ;)

Advertisement