Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody else doing Eireman?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Outlaw is a definite possibility. The organisers have a good reputation in other events (and I quite like Nottingham).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JonHotchkiss

911sc wrote: »
    Thanks...and a half marathon new world record was set at 58:08:)

yes my first words as i crossed the line were that i think I'd broken the world or certainly the British record for a half-mary ;)

glad they're up now though. thought i should also defend the delay from Eoin as i know he had about 2 hours sleep from Friday morning till Monday morning. i think he has probably been (or i hope for his healths sake he has been) sleeping for most of the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cu cullainn

Am wondering if anyone else had a bad experience at Eireman. Have to say that the half event that I entered was devoid of organisation as soon as 'plan C' was implemented. The first run barely split the field which left a situation of riders drafting, unintentionally, as there was nowhere else they could go.
    Second run, some athletes only covered about 10 miles as they were directed in the wrong direction. It felt that the marshalls were not briefed.
    A banana and a bottle of water at the finish line.
    No results yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Looks like povisional 'timing chip' results are now available on the Eireman home page!

Where on the home page are they, I cant see any link to results.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Cu cullainn, I've merged your post with the others on the same topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

27th in the sprint (excluding the relays).. I'll take it :D

Where on the home page are they, I cant see any link to results.

Thanks

got them, just needed to refresh a few times.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rubycube

Looks like the top 44 were sent the wrong way - based on the time gap from 44th to 45th.

Ah well... I just thought that was an interesting observation of the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JustTriIt

I think RubyCube is about right with that.

So if those 44 or so didn't complete the course - are they DQed or not?

Who gets all the lovely cash that was up for grabs at Errorman?

In response to Jon's statement that Eoin only had two hours sleep - maybe some prior organisation and delegation might have avoided this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Larryf

Can't find the link for the results - can someone post up the link please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

JustTriIt wrote: »
    I think RubyCube is about right with that.

So if those 44 or so didn't complete the course - are they DQed or not?

Who gets all the lovely cash that's up for grabs?

Not, they followed the marshals instructions. Cannot be DQed for that. Can be DQed for not doing it.

Plus if they were to be DQed it would had to have been done on the day by the race referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

****e, should have done the sprint and not the HIM - would have had my first top 10 finish based on times (and position of friends I know I'm faster than):p 5hrs45- for the HIM, a long day!!

Look, I think the point has been made forcefully at this stage about the many organisational failures in the race. People have also highlighted the many good points about the race. I think its now up to Eoin to come back and give us an explanation of what went wrong. If he does this and it makes sense and they are issues that can be overcome for next year then I'll come back and do it again next year. I've done some of his other events (Eireman X and Wexford Half Marathon) and apart from some minor niggles I've had no big issues. IMO we need a quality long distance event like this one on closed roads in Ireland. From a purely selfish point of view it's also close to home and means I dont have to travel to Kerry or up North to do a HIM (which was my plan for 2009 until Eireman came along).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Bambaata

had been thinking of doing the sprint myself as it seemed like a good chance for a podium. where are these results people are speaking of? i cant see anything of their site?

EDIT: i see them now. maybe my cookies were still displaying the old page but i just refreshed now and i got them

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

I 've had a look at the results and can't help but notice that no DNFs are included?

Considering the bad weather, the cancelled swim, and the usual hiccups that occur during any race - I would have expected to see quite a few people with only run / bike times etc..? (and these people paid just as much to be chipped and get their results)

Maybe it's me, can anyone else see them?

(I know these are just the provisional results - but thinking that they must be waiting to see their times too)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kruger73

I think Griffin100 is right.
    Points have been made about the issues (including by myself), but there were some great positive things about the event which if kept, and the issues resolved, it could be a superb event next year.
    I think the organisers will front up and say, okay the following went wrong and we are going to address these issues as follows........
    Theyll be very unlucky to get the weather a second year.

The cycle course was unbelievably good.

I will strongly consider it as my first long distance event for next year.

I 've had a look at the results and can't help but notice that no DNFs are included?

Considering the bad weather, the cancelled swim, and the usual hiccups that occur during any race - I would have expected to see quite a few people with only run / bike times etc..? (and these people paid just as much to be chipped and get their results)

Maybe it's me, can anyone else see them?

(I know these are just the provisional results - but thinking that they must be waiting to see their times too)

I think the DNF's are at the end of each list of results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciaran.H

Despite the difficult weather I enjoyed doing the middle distance Eireman.

A few suggestions which dont seem to have been mentioned on this thread
    - Recommend making the area just after the bike mount line wider if possible. A meandering cyclist looking down at their pedals cut across me and there was little width available.
    - Bike aid stations should have a track pump and some other bike maintenance bits. Lost over an hour when my CO2 nozzle would not pierce cartridge. Eventually got to primary aid station but there was no pump available. People at the aid station were most helpfull and phones Rob from Wheelworx who was on course. He saved my day, thanks Rob.
    - On the last 5km from bypass back to Courtown I ended up sharing the coned off left hand lane with runners going in the same direction. These were probably the 40 or so runners who were sent the wrong way. Had to proceed slowly with a lot of care in case a runner stepped out.
    - Perhaps best to avoid scheduling Eireman the same weekend as Gaelforce if this can be planned.

Cycle course is excellent. Found the cycle with the tail wind more challeging than the headwind, particularly later in the day when the wind seemed to be stronger and more gusty. A bit of a white knuckle ride on the aerobars. Believe many exceeded 60km/hr.

Run had lots of variety. The out and back course gives lots of contact with other competitors. The steep descent and steps at wooden bridge just around 2km from the finish would be a great location for photos as the change of terrain is unsettling.

Also the Tara Vie Hotel served good pub grub which was keenly priced. Had a good feed here after the finish.

This is a race venue with great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Iron Enthusiast

Thanks Highway,

I've checked the results again but still can't see any of th DNFs listed anywhere?
    (and there are quite a few people missing when you sort the data by 'Bib Number')

Appears all of the DNF's are missing?:confused:

It might be a case of Did Not Start, I saw a few people pack up their bikes after the swim cancelation was announced and the bad weather could have put off some people from even getting out of bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Some people seem to have trouble getting the results
    Here are the HIM results attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Ciaran.H wrote: »
    Despite the difficult weather I enjoyed doing the middle distance Eireman.

A few suggestions which dont seem to have been mentioned on this thread
    - Recommend making the area just after the bike mount line wider if possible. A meandering cyclist looking down at their pedals cut across me and there was little width available.
    - Bike aid stations should have a track pump and some other bike maintenance bits. Lost over an hour when my CO2 nozzle would not pierce cartridge. Eventually got to primary aid station but there was no pump available. People at the aid station were most helpfull and phones Rob from Wheelworx who was on course. He saved my day, thanks Rob.
    - On the last 5km from bypass back to Courtown I ended up sharing the coned off left hand lane with runners going in the same direction. These were probably the 40 or so runners who were sent the wrong way. Had to proceed slowly with a lot of care in case a runner stepped out.
    - Perhaps best to avoid scheduling Eireman the same weekend as Gaelforce if this can be planned.

Cycle course is excellent. Found the cycle with the tail wind more challeging than the headwind, particularly later in the day when the wind seemed to be stronger and more gusty. A bit of a white knuckle ride on the aerobars. Believe many exceeded 60km/hr.

Run had lots of variety. The out and back course gives lots of contact with other competitors. The steep descent and steps at wooden bridge just around 2km from the finish would be a great location for photos as the change of terrain is unsettling.

Also the Tara Vie Hotel served good pub grub which was keenly priced. Had a good feed here after the finish.

This is a race venue with great potential.

Very good post. A few more similar constructive posts should go a long way towards helping Eoin with next years event.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

and the rest while i am at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rubycube

Thanks Highway,

I've checked the results again but still can't see any of th DNFs listed anywhere?
    (and there are quite a few people missing when you sort the data by 'Bib Number')

Hey, just check your spedo on your bike for teh split if you didnt do the run..... a(and add your watch time for the first run).... if you have one.

You could be along time waiting for that to be sorted out.

Thats my best suggestion !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cu cullainn

Completely agree about constructive criticism but the fact that over 20 nationalities were competing and the event was broadcast on RTE, TRI247 and advertised not only within local media but international press also meant that the event attracted international participation. Bringing that element in means that any contingency plan needs to be thought out thoroughly. That was not the case unfortunately.
    It started badly when Full distnce athletes were being asked to run 50k altogether. The initial 8k for the 1/2 distance to just over 3k. Transition was bedlum.
    As I mentioned in my last post it seemed that Marshals were not briefed, too many small errors.
    Also too many different races on the same course at the same time on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi All,

As an active boards member I apologies for my absence when people were looking for me. I have no doubt it was noticable!! It certainly wasn't intentional.
    I have flicked straight to writing this message without reading anything. I will go through it all and take notes - its the only way i can catch up.

There is a short post on the website along with provisional results.

I'm going to need a bit of time to do this so I would ask once again for people to bear with me. I never imagined to be in this situation. But here I am and thats it.

As per website - I will come back to the competitors (some of whom read boards) with a proper response.

Thank you
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

just reading this now that Ive arrived back online after my first efforts and going long. I planned the season around going long and can hand on heart say that Sunday was for me the worst Tri experience Ive had since I took up the sport. Thats my personal feeling and based on my experiences of the day.
    After my efforts on Sunday I feel I deserve my rant - that follows.

BTW, I can happily report that one of the Pirates was well on his way in his fetching yellow T-shirt on lap two of run and was in good spirits. They're class T-shirts ;)

No one can do anything about the weather but you can sure as hell show people who took up the challenge to enter the first Long distance event for some time in Ireland some respect - the people who were left on the N11 when the Oly, HIM distance bikes were gone as the wind got worse - the people who were out in the woods and on the back roads in driving rain and wind with each other for company along with those poor souls heroically manning the aid stations.

In the goodie bag there was a complimentary copy of Triathlete Europe (see Page 94, Classic Race: Ironman Lanzarote) - about kenneth Gasque (race organiser) 'Every year he stands at the finish line and shakes the hands and welcomes every finisher from the winner to the last person at midnight. He even waits around for the unofficial finishers who come in after this cut off'. - I didnt see Eoin Ryan after the briefing at 6am in the dark. Lots of things might have been out of control for Eoin on Sunday due to bad luck or whatever but where was he then? Id have taken an official clock running so someone could take a photo of me under it, Id have taken a bottle of water if someone had offered it to me after my first marathon. I was lucky enough to get a hug from a very patient Mrs Interested and some good club mates and friends. I was lucky to be back in one piece and I bloody well knew it.

What really starting to sink in is comments I got first hand from people out on the course, spectators on the day when I finished and in Courttown the day later.
    People from England/Wales were openly mocking Irish Triathlon. Several of them asked me 'Is this how things are normally done?', 'is it a case of 'ah sure, we'll make do', with everything in this country?'

Positives:
    • Im still in one piece and injury free after my first marathon.
    • I got it done and arrived back in the middle of the finishers according to the provisional results.
    • Id no GI problems and felt my nutritional strategy worked well.
    • I raised alot of money for a worthwhile charity and learned a stack load about myself over the course of the year as I prepared for this event.
    • I also know that Im capable of taking the challenge on again in the near future based on the shape Im in. Since I could probably kick the 3.8k swim Im not too worried about adding that before the bike and run.

Negatives:
    Since the swim is my strong point it was unfortunate it was cancelled but inevitable based on the storm. With a public pool being less than 50 metres from transition Id have happily paid towards access to a lane at 6.30am on a sunday to knock out my swim. The bad weather was well forecast but the contingency was never mentioned.

Gripes:
    • After coming off the bike at the dismount 'line' I headed up through transition and had to ask two children (about 7 years of age and unaccompanied) could they move as I headed to rack the bike. Not really safe for me or them or secure in any way.
    • A changing tent for long distance athletes male and female should not be someone's marquee with see-through windows with both ends open (one onto a kids play ground). At the briefing there was talk of a divide for privacy for both sex'es but given what was on offer as a tent this wasnt to be. I think that if a suitable tent cant be found for use by 66 competitors then the idea should have been scrapped.
    • The run wasnt what Id expected. Doing the 'Wall' towards the end of the forest trail and accompany steps at the bridge 4 times was torture in addition to the rolling inclines up to Gorey. As a competitor its my job to know the course. Id no problems with turn arounds and cones but in the torrential rain that was coming down it was dark and very dangerous under foot in the woods when I was departing at the start of the run, never mind how it was after 9 pm for the final few finishers.
    • I finished at a couple of minutes past 7pm (ironically in a few rays on sunshine), there was no e-timing mat - chip guy arrived from van and took my number and name with my chip. There was also no clock other than what was on my arm. There was no water on offer. The remaining crowd (and fair play to them) were huddled under a makeshift shelter and looked a sight for very sore eyes.
    • In addition to no timing or official clock as I trudged over the line I felt more like it had been the final metres of shame rather than a feeling of elation after completing a long day in the rain and wind.
    • Mrs Interested had been there for the entire day and deserved a bit more shelter, entertainment, race information etc that was offered. She said she saw Eoin Ryan once during the day as he asked bemused spectators had the last runner going long gone through the turnaround. Race organiser asking crowd who's where on the course is definitely a first.
    • I read previously that someone had driven over a loudspeaker just before the HIM briefing. If thats true then it should have been available for the announcement for the full but it wasnt employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Yep heard this about Kenneth also. Seems to be ingrained in Ironman folklore.

Funny, he must have been going to the toilet when I crossed the finish line as there was no handshake or greeting from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gickna1

I was one of those sent off course by the marchel in the hIM, i think that the weather had a huge part in the problems of this event throwing up so much confusion. One thing that has to be said is fair play to Eoin Ryan for attempting the event it took a lot of balls, but i also think that with a little more planning about the event itself ie km markers, proper signage etc rather than eireman banners would have been a lot better.
    This could be a great event in the future if the issues we have complained about can be addressed, lets not forget its his 1st attempt and how many of us would attempt to organise such an event.
    Also i was very dissapointed at the finish line the only ones there were the man and woman from the timing chip co. plus no gatorade, clock etc

as for the kids event my daughter did her first race came in second (first female as i was informed) and is now a better triathlete than me - thanks for that Eoin my 7 year old slagging me off.

Well done to everyone who completed their distances i know we don't do this because it's easy but challenging ourselves to be better / faster. Lets put this down to a learning experience for everyone and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What does hIM stand for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Half Ironman
    1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 mile run, all in old money of course !

Secman

Advertisement