Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited Canvassing

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So i recently added my details to the suplimentry registry, so i can vote in the town where i work and live, have always headed home (parents) to vote, so thought it was about time i updated my address details. Ticked the box so that i'm not sent the usual marketing/advertising material, confirmed my registration by phone with the local registration office, and by the polling card received.

Today, received in post, in a sealed envelope, headed paper addressed to me by name from one of the political parties, party concerned not important, to inform me that i had been added to the register in my local area, and to advice me of the local representives for the party, surely this is a form of unsolicited canvassing and falls under the marketing material that i had requested not to receive.

Was quite annoyed by this at the time, as basically, dont want a load of leaflets being posted to me, advicing me to vote for this one or that one, considering as i requested not to, and am wondering do i have a right to complain and who would i complain to if i wished to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Unfortunately it seems like the political parties have an exemption for this, whether it's official correspondence or unwanted "vote for me, I'm brilliant even though you've never heard of me before" headed-for-recycling-unread rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i've spoke to one or two at the door, asked them about their policies, etc, have no problem with that, but when you reveice something in post with your name and address on it, regardless of who it came from, if its a form of marketing/canvasing material, personally directed at you, if you have asked not to receive this, surly theres a breech in the marketing laws in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

irish-stew wrote: »
    surly theres a breech in the marketing laws in place.

As I said (and I got the info here on boards when I asked a similar question), unfortunately the politicians have an exemption from that law.

Advertisement