Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it continues........................

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭

I have now got banned from the soccer forum for six months for accumulating six yellow cards.

Where to start this.....

I have never abused anybody to the best of my knowlegde. I've gotten yellow cards for very minor offenses imo. You can check my yellow cards yourself, if you feel they are serious then so be it.

But I do want to get this off my chest.

I was on the Soccer forum the other day and there was a mention of the Helix thing. I had been thinking about it for a few days, I made a comment about it in the Aston Villa thread in response to other comments by other posters. I then decided to start a feedback thread on that very subject. I went back to the Aston Villa thread and while posting I included a note about the Helix thread. I put a spoiler around it just so that it would have to checked out and also so that it wasn't 'in your face'.

I got banned a short time later and was informed of this by GuanYin. I was told my ban was for 'Discussing moderation/bans in thread'.
    I think MON has to spend big this summer, you see that City have already started and you don't want to fall away. Who do people want to see being bought thats realistic.

PS. Spoiler: Check out feedback re a helix thread.
    Is this discussing moderation?
    I haven't been in the soccer forum since yesterday but I believe the above was also deleted. She says that she deleted a post I made and that I noticed this and then proceeded to continue to go off topic.

Of course we all know that this is the same Guan Yin who reported Helix. The same Guan Yin who I have complained about in a helpdesk thread in the past. The same Guan Yin who called me a liar in this very forum in the past. The same Guan Yin who has called me a liar again in a pm yesterday.

Now I got a two day ban for this according to the pm by GuanYin.

I just got another pm that says I have received a yellow card and as such I am now banned for six months.

I don't think thats fair, and I think that GuanYin wanted me to get this yellow card as punishment for starting a thread on feedback regarding the Helix situation. I started that thread before I was banned from the soccer forum and my post on the soccer forum that I am getting a yellow card for was after I started the feedback thread.

I said in response to GuanYin that I didn't notice that any deleting had been done.
    GuanYin responded to this by telling me she did not believe that. This shows a real lack of class and respect imo.
    I take great offense to being called a liar.

I cannot provide links here as I've been banned. However the quoted bit above is the post thats at issue here.

I am not happy at being banned and feel its all about the Helix thread that I started in feedback. In fact I'm certain of that in my own mind. I will admit that I have since being called a liar in a previous helpdesk thread taken an immense dislike to GuanYin. I detest the person now after being called a liar again.

Anyways there is my piece said. If you want the pm's then I will post them up but only if you request them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Are you neglecting the part where I didn't give you the yellow card, I specifically refused to do so, told you I referred the case to my co-mods and they made the decision to issue you another yellow card and hence your 6 month ban.

Yes, yes, I think you left that bit out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

eagle eye

All of the Soccer mods discussed you and came to the decision that you deserved a yellow card.
    GY did not give you the yellow card, all of the Soccer Mods did.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GuanYin wrote: »
    Are you neglecting the part where I didn't give you the yellow card, I specifically refused to do so, told you I referred the case to my co-mods and they made the decision to issue you another yellow card and hence your 6 month ban.

Yes, yes, I think you left that bit out.
    I didn't neglect anything, you banned me and brought it up for discussion, then you get the other soccer mods to back you up. Nothing new there.

You also called me a liar by pm. That shows that you had your mind made up about me. You lack class, you lack common sense, its unsurprising that so many people detest you.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    eagle eye

All of the Soccer mods discussed you and came to the decision that you deserved a yellow card.
    GY did not give you the yellow card, all of the Soccer Mods did.
    As I've said, this is the norm, GY uses her powers and then gets the other soccer mods to back here decision.

I asked how this post is discussing moderation? Can you explain that to me?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

eagle eye wrote: »
    As I've said, this is the norm, GY uses her powers and then gets the other soccer mods to back here decision.

Ok, your paranoia has gotten the better of you.
    The Soccer Mods have a private forum for discussing moderating decisions.
    I went in there this morning.
    They ALL discussed giving you a yellow card.
    It was a joint decision.
    GY expressly commented in that thread that she was leaving the decision to her fellow mods so there would be no come back.
    You cannot not pin this on her.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Ok, your paranoia has gotten the better of you.
    The Soccer Mods have a private forum for discussing moderating decisions.
    I went in there this morning.
    They ALL discussed giving you a yellow card.
    It was a joint decision.
    GY expressly commented in that thread that she was leaving the decision to her fellow mods so there would be no come back.
    You cannot not pin this on her.

I'm sure that whatever way she posted that comment had a 'Its up to you but you know what I want' to it.

Also its been clear for some time that the moderators in the soccer forum all back each other up. It has nothing to do with the merits of the case either.. I'm not saying they are always wrong but there are times.
    You still haven't explained to me how I was discussing moderation with that post.
    Also the fact that she has basically called me a liar for the second time in a couple of months is another serious issue.

Imo, and as I have stated before this has all to do with my starting at thread in feedback. I didn't start the discussion on the Aston Villa thread, I just responded to something I read and then started a thread in the right place about it. I just let those people who were concerned know about it while posting.

You would swear I was some evil person or something the way I've been treated.
    I'm called a liar and I'm banned twice over the same incident. Two day ban, then yellow card and six month ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,354 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

For the record, assuming that we always see things the same way / merrily fall into line would be terribly incorrect. On this occassion however, we did come to an easy consensus.

Your ban stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

We do not always agree on things and any admin who cares to can jump in on our discussions, or read over previous ones anytime they like to confirm that for you, although I think that at this stage you are not going to believe anything that anybody says.

GY clearly stated that she was stepping away from the decision and left it for the soccer mods to decide. She did not say (or intimate) that she was looking for a decisions one way or another, just that she had temp banned you until a decision was reached.

You had less than a month to go to behave yourself and the yellows would have been wiped, you have not racked up 5 infractions in a season by accident and it is unfortunately only you that you have to blame for your ban, regardless of where you point your fingers.

The usual soccer forum rally round and support the other mod syndrom.

I still don't see what in that post constitutes discussing moderation.

You see the problem we have is, if we do not pop on and inform you then we are accused of hiding from the questions and if we do then we are rallying around in support of a mod.

No win situation if there ever was one.

Would you prefer that you do not hear anything from the mods and just speak to the admins? That can be arranged.

And FWIW, this is the first time I have ever posted on helpdesk so this is far from "the usual"

• Advertisement

You see the problem we have is, if we do not pop on and inform you then we are accused of hiding from the questions and if we do then we are rallying around in support of a mod.

No win situation if there ever was one.

Would you prefer that you do not hear anything from the mods and just speak to the admins? That can be arranged.

And FWIW, this is the first time I have ever posted on helpdesk so this is far from "the usual"
    Well if you are going to reply, you could at least explain what in that post in considered discussing moderation?

Can somebody please explain to me how this is discussing moderation?
    I think MON has to spend big this summer, you see that City have already started and you don't want to fall away. Who do people want to see being bought thats realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Looks like a dig to me..

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Looks like a dig to me..
    Why would you think that?
    I wasn't having a go at anybody. I was only trying to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dude, you're missing the point. You didn't get banned for referring other users to a different thread - but it was a cheeky thing to do and the mods infracted you for it - not even with a red card, with a yellow card. It wasn't a direct enough flouting of the rule about discussion moderating issues to deserve a ban, but you did get a mild infraction for skirting through the rule - you linked people to a thread on a different forum discussion the moderation issue on soccer - so you weren't discussing a moderation decision directly, but you were referring to it indirectly.

So you got a yellow card.

If you weren't apparently predisposed toward acting the maggot, I doubt you'd have even opened a thread on Help Desk. This thread isn't about the nitty gritty of whether or not you should have been mildly infracted. This thread is a reaction to the fact that entirely through your own actions, you've managed to get yourself banned for six months.

It's not our fault you have five other yellow cards for acting the maggot and the addition of a sixth got you automatically banned for six months. Perhaps practice a little restraint in future, and you won't end up in the position again where something minor becomes your downfall.

I did get banned from the forum immediately by GuanYin. It didn't happen after they consulted and gave me a yellow card.

I don't go around calling people out. For instance I got a yellow card for back seat modding, where I was just advising we continue a conversation elsewhere. My intentions right there were to show respect to the Everton fans but I got a yellow card for it. I didn't insult anybody. Thats one yellow card.

I also previously got a yellow card for a fail pic. I was told it was off topic but I disputed this as the wording in the picture was relevant to the Liverpool team at the time and their draws. It was an inoffensive joke and I get a yellow card.

I now get a yellow card for letting people know about a feedback thread. This is very harsh imo.

I don't try to be a troublemaker, I've been called a liar by a moderator twice now, that is hurtful, and I'm very serious about that.

If any of you people knew me, you'd know that I'm far from a troublemaker or a person that stirs things up. I don't do that.
    The only one of you I've ever met is Dev, a nice guy from what I've seen of him. I even gave him a lift back to his hotel when I met him, because it was a nice thing to do rather than let him pay for a taxi.

Maybe with the way I've been treated here and the fact that he is ultimately responsible I might just let him get that taxi if the same situation arises again.

I respect others until I feel they no longer deserve it, thats why I've said what I feel like saying about GuanYin on here. Calling a person a liar is quite serious to me and she has done that twice and with no good reason for it. Its time you got rid of her as a moderator. Tbh I don't undertand how she keeps doing it when its clear that she is so hated by so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Now I got a two day ban for this according to the pm by GuanYin.

I just got another pm that says I have received a yellow card and as such I am now banned for six months.

You got a two day ban to remove you from the forum temporarily so that we could make a decision without you getting yourself into any more trouble in the meantime (and helping make our minds up for us)

I personally think it was a very good decision.

The 6 month ban came about because of your 6th yellow card, and in the opinion of each of us your post so soon after a deleted one was worthy of a yellow card.
    I'm sure that whatever way she posted that comment had a 'Its up to you but you know what I want' to it.

You're not sure, you just like to think that because it suits your argument that GuanYin went out of her way to get you for starting the Feedback thread. That is patently not the case.
    Imo, and as I have stated before this has all to do with my starting at thread in feedback.

Let me make one thing straight: I and the other mods positively encourage soccer forum users to take their complaints to either help desk or Feedback as they see fit. We do not allow discussion of moderation decisions by us on-thread, and by extension decisions made by Admins. That is a boards wide policy.
    Can somebody please explain to me how this is discussing moderation?

Your first contribution to the Villa thread was discussion of an Admin decision. That post, plus a number from other users was deleted, but no infractions were handed out. You then moved to Feedback to start your own thread, and returned to the soccer forum to inform the Villa fans of said thread.

You used the soccer forum to drum up support for your complaint. Now as I said above, I encourage users to take their problems to Feedback or Help Desk if they are unhappy with the soccer forum, in this case you were unhappy with an Admin decision to lock a thread (a decision which an Admin and the Community Manager both explained by saying they were in continued discussion with other Admins about), protested claiming a right to your say, then used the soccer forum to further that protest.
    eagle eye wrote:
    I really want to start about this moderator

I consider that a dig at a soccer forum mod, again that is your right, but when you chose to publicise your complaint on the soccer forum you were judged to be in breach of the charter.

In short, if you had said nothing about the Feedback thread with your spoiler, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    I don't go around calling people out. For instance I got a yellow card for back seat modding, where I was just advising we continue a conversation elsewhere. My intentions right there were to show respect to the Everton fans but I got a yellow card for it. I didn't insult anybody. Thats one yellow card.

I also previously got a yellow card for a fail pic. I was told it was off topic but I disputed this as the wording in the picture was relevant to the Liverpool team at the time and their draws. It was an inoffensive joke and I get a yellow card.

Shall we complete the picture by mentioning the yellow for calling Alex Ferguson a "horrible orange cnut"? Or the yellow for trolling the Man Utd superthread with pictures of Ronaldo diving and stating "Great footballer but a knacker all the same."?

That last yellow was from me, and should have been a red card as I pointed out to you when I banned you for 14 days. With your permission I'd like to post the content of the PM I sent you at the time, I think it might prove illuminating.

So now we have four soccer forum moderators posting in this thread. I didn't ask any of you to post in here at all. Weird how you all have to take your turns and yet you say you don't circle the wagons when it crops up in other threads.

Answer the question. Can therecklessone post the PM or not?

And lay off the 'circle the wagons' rubbish - the soccer mods have come on here to make it clear that the one you're making digs at actually had nothing to do with your six month ban.

Answer the question. Can therecklessone post the PM or not?
    I don't know what is in the PM. I don't have it any longer. I can't remember what its about.
    And lay off the 'circle the wagons' rubbish - the soccer mods have come on here to make it clear that the one you're making digs at actually had nothing to do with your six month ban.
    One of them was enough to say that, the more of them that come in saying it...............

Edit to add, what has this got to do with anything anyways, he brings up incidents that I didn't even mention. I didn't say that any of these incidents that he mentions did not warrant yellow cards. I mentioned incidents where I feel I was hard done by.

• Advertisement

Of course you did not mention these incidents. It would have dented the image you were trying to portray of the good lad who is just misunderstood. Are you saying you will or will not allow TRO to publish the contents of your pm conversation?

Now if you do not want the mods input then just say and we will withdraw from the thread. If you do then please stop banging the circling the wagons/all for one one for all drum.

Of course you did not mention these incidents. It would have dented the image you were trying to portray of the good lad who is just misunderstood. Are you saying you will or will not allow TRO to publish the contents of your pm conversation?

Now if you do not want the mods input then just say and we will withdraw from the thread. If you do then please stop banging the circling the wagons/all for one one for all drum.

I can't believe you come back in supporting your fellow mod yet again, but didn't have the courtesy to respond when I asked you a question yesterday.

Whats the plan here? Keep coming in and attack me? Do you all feel this way over the feedback thread or something?

This attack from all sides by the soccer mods is unfair. Its actually a form of bullying. I've said this forum is quite unfair in the past, I can't have others to speak for me, but all the mods can come in and take pot shots.

I'm getting quite fed up of this.

To Dev, I really think you personally should have a good look at the soccer forum. As I've said here, I met you before and you seem like a decent, reasonable guy. You also need to take a look at the moderation on some of the forums. I have no complaints about any moderator in any of the other four forums that I post in very regularly. I have never had problems in any of them forums. Three of them are sports forums.

Either every other sports forum is being badly moderated, or as I personally believe there is just a terribly over-zealous approach by one particular person and its rubbing off on the rest of them in the soccer forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think it's fair that they can come and give their view on what happened. After all, they were the ones who made the desicion.

It would be hugely inefficient for an Admin to be going back and forth for their views and comments. If you're argument is robust enough, it will stand up to scrutiny. We're here to adjudicate, but not mollycoddle.

So I'd suggest you stop with the victim approach and accept that the fact that this was a group desicion, not one that was taken by one person, or lead by one person as a vendetta against you. Until you come to that realisation, you're not going to get very far.

Now, can the PM be published or not. A simple yes or no will suffice :)

I have never abused anybody to the best of my knowlegde. I've gotten yellow cards for very minor offenses imo. You can check my yellow cards yourself, if you feel they are serious then so be it.

That appears to suggest that none of your infractions were for serious offences, apologies if I've misunderstood your intentions but I felt a little balance needed to be introduced.
    So now we have four soccer forum moderators posting in this thread. I didn't ask any of you to post in here at all. Weird how you all have to take your turns and yet you say you don't circle the wagons when it crops up in other threads.

You repeatedly asked that somebody explain your infraction to you, I posted to do just that...there is no circling of the wagons here, I merely answered your question and addressed a couple of points you levelled at me as part of the body of soccer mods.
    Whats the plan here? Keep coming in and attack me? Do you all feel this way over the feedback thread or something?

This attack from all sides by the soccer mods is unfair. Its actually a form of bullying.

Now you've accused us as a group of attacking you, and bullying. I have done neither, I'd appreciate it if you toned down your replies please.

Finally, I have PMed a copy of the original ban PM to you for you to take a look at and jog your memory, may I post it's contents here?

Will you give four people of my choice access to this thread to assist me? Or does that not seem fair to you?

Ok, I finally got this sorted. This is the post I put up and this is considered serious abuse. Its just a joke by the way. And I have also put up the pm requested by therecklessone.

I have to say, imo if you don't get a good laugh out of my post then either my sense of humour is too harsh or else you guys have a problem.
    I really don't see the big issue over this. So you have your pm now.

I hope he goes to Real Madrid, We'll have less of this

Ronaldo%20dive.jpg

and this

article-1155726-039D89FD000005DC-278_468x421.jpg

rongrab_516x311_19303a.jpg

Great footballer but a knacker all the same.

Hi eagle eye,

You have been banned from Soccer for the following duration:

14 Day(s)

for the following reason:

Trolling and abuse. Your post on the Man Utd superthread which earned you a yellow card infraction is the reason why you are getting this ban. That post deserved a red card, which would put you on 6 yellow cards and earned you a 6 month ban.

Hopefully this break from the forum will act as a reminder to you to observe the charter rules before you post on the forum again (after your ban has expired of course)

Your infraction record is here if you are interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=132333&tab=infractions#infractions

All infractions earned on the soccer forum since the 14th July 2008 count towards your tally.

Unfortunatley for you, the PM you post just shows how clear the soccer mods made it to you that you were on your last chance. They even gave you a yellow instead of a red card for your post, so really you've had two last chances, not one.

But regarding whether or not your post is funny - there are rules on the forum. If you breach those rules, it doesn't matter whether or not you've been funny, you're still in breach of those rules.

As an aside, did you complain about your yellow card infractions at the time you got them, and if so, in what way?

Thank you, as you can see from the PM I sent you at the time of the 5th yellow I believed the post was worthy of a red card for trolling and abuse (the knacker comment)

Instead of giving you a red, I opted for a yellow and a 14 day ban so that you would hopefully rethink your approach to posting on the soccer forum, and try to avoid earning a 6th yellow and a 6 month ban.

In summation, you were given some leeway in the past to try and help you avoid a long ban from the forum, you were warned that further breaches of the charter would result in a 6th yellow.

I fail to see how we are at fault here.

I intend leaving this thread to the Admins or any of the soccer mods who wish to continue engaging with you, you are unhappy that we have access to this thread so I see no reason for me to continue.

Thank you, as you can see from the PM I sent you at the time of the 5th yellow I believed the post was worthy of a red card for trolling and abuse (the knacker comment)

Instead of giving you a red, I opted for a yellow and a 14 day ban so that you would hopefully rethink your approach to posting on the soccer forum, and try to avoid earning a 6th yellow and a 6 month ban.
    And so I did, I didn't post anymore funny pictures of any footballer. I didn't do anything like that.

This time I've got a yellow card for informing people who were obviously concerned that I had started a thread re the Helix issue. This was being discussed in the Aston Villa forum at that very time.

I still don't see where I went wrong there.

I still don't see how this proves the mods were being fair in the other situations, for instance the time I was yellow carded for 'back seat modding' for simply trying to show respect to Everton fans, or the time that I was yellow carded for a fail picture which had some relevance to the thread.

Meantime you have a moderator LuckyLloyd posting a facepalm picture on more than one occasion and its doesn't seem to warrant any cards. You have Xavi who used a cartoon character of somebody jerking off and that doesn't warrant a ban. Imo the latter should be an automatic long term ban.

I mean its clearly different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement

So its clear there is no interest in responding to my post above. I mean you have moderators who don't get yellow cards for posts very similar and more serious than mine.

We've had moderators come into this thread with these requests to show a pm which is really of no consequence to the matter at hand. I am here stating that I don't feel that my post warranted a yellow card and you try and tell me I had been warned.
    I didn't discuss moderation in that post and I've got a yellow card for doing that.

Also I'd like to know where I go to make a complaint against a moderator for pretty much calling me a liar on two occasions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement