Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE CRUCIBLE - General vision and viewpoint

Options
  • 04-06-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get notes on the general vision and viewpoint of the crucible? (seeing as we have an extra two days :) I tried skool.ie but they didn't have anything on it. I'm also studying Cinema Paradiso and Jane Eyre for my comparative... any pointers would be much appreciated especially on gv and viewpoint. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thread title is actually a clever play on words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

the crucible is pretty easy to write about

-women dominated by men
    -bleak lives
    -no future
    -they work 'female' jobs such as nurses and stay at homes
    -physical environment is hard to live in
    -restrictions on freedom, they are ruled by religion
    -key moment, when elizabeth lies for john and then she refuses to try and get him to sign his name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Key moment: When Proctor refuses to sign the confession to protect his name.
    Fear - Everyone is controlled by the fear of being hanged etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mrpeech

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    the crucible is pretty easy to write about

-women dominated by men
    -bleak lives
    -no future
    -they work 'female' jobs such as nurses and stay at homes
    -physical environment is hard to live in
    -restrictions on freedom, they are ruled by religion
    -key moment, when elizabeth lies for john and then she refuses to try and get him to sign his name.

You see my problem is I'm confused with the above and issues and themes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

general vision and viewpoint is basically if the tone is optimistic or pessimistic.

so pick a key moment from the beginning, middle and end and demonstarte if this portrays an optimistic or pessimistic vision (try not to use them words over and over - eg. dark and bright, bleak and hopefu..etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mrpeech

piggies wrote: »
    general vision and viewpoint is basically if the tone is optimistic or pessimistic.

so pick a key moment from the beginning, middle and end and demonstarte if this portrays an optimistic or pessimistic vision (try not to use them words over and over - eg. dark and bright, bleak and hopefu..etc)

Thanks a mill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Overall, The Crucible is pessimistic. It shows how much destruction society can cause. There's a glimpse of hope though at the end so it isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Google covers it well for a quick revision.Re.Jane Eyre and Cinema P.Social/cultural areas...compare/contrast novel v. film.Each effective in its genre...how environments are presented/recreated to us.Both authors/artists revisiting past.Film uses camera/music to create ambience of Toto's childhood environment.Bronte's language[few quotes]Relationships/pursuit of happiness /crucial decisions/sense of loss/characterisation/religion/humour in CP.In J.E?Both works are,maybe ,indelibly etched in our minds through artists' skill/ techniques as are their memories [and ours]/Just a few quick points.Not very familiar with Millers play.saw it.powerful.represents his views on McCarthyism/he had a run in with same,it seems.Inflexible religious/political views and the crushing of the individual may be one of many themes.George Bush probably never saw the play

Advertisement