Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggling and vouchers?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 1:42am

Hey all,

I was just wondering, would it be in bad stead to haggle someone on a price for an item (we'll say a TV or laptop or something electronic) and once agreed on a price, try to pay part of it off with vouchers for that store?

Or when people in stores haggle down prices, is it more the norm to just stick with cash as the sole means of paying?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

depends o the voucher. if its an instore voucher then it shouldnt be a prob but the likes of one4all where the company actually has to pay 6% of the voucher then i wouldnt say so. A good salesman should ask ya how ya plan on paying early on in the convo anyway, so ya both know whats happening

It's a voucher for the particular store. Whilst I want to get a decent price, I don't want to look like a cheapskate in the process (though it's inevitable, really :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'd like to know what the done thing is too. I have some vouchers that I'd like to exchange for a nice big TV :cool:
    Can get them for DID or Hardley Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

i dont know weather the guy will think it is cool but u could give it a shot but then there is a chance that because you haggeled with him and you try to use the voucher he could put it back to original price and you woulld only get what the voucher entitles you to so in that case which is the better value the haggeled tv or the voucher tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

always haggle with cash if possible ,if buying a car for say 3000 go down with 2500 in €10 notes

it will look like a brick of money and people go week at the knees for large wads of cash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 drog5920

like i used to work in currys, we wernt allowed haggle. we always had to find a manager, but if it was our voucher then the money has already been paid on it and we didnt loose, whereas the one4all costs the company 6% of the price of the voucher so hed b reluctant to even entertain. same in harvey normal with their interest free. the staff who can haggle at will wont reduce the price of a tv because its them that actually pay the interest, and the rates for creation finance are like 16%, dnt care wat anyone says theres no electrical product nowadays with that kind of margin on it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hey all,

I was just wondering, would it be in bad stead to haggle someone on a price for an item (we'll say a TV or laptop or something electronic) and once agreed on a price, try to pay part of it off with vouchers for that store?

Or when people in stores haggle down prices, is it more the norm to just stick with cash as the sole means of paying?

With vouchers for the store someone has already paid cash for them so they should be treated just like cash when you deal with the store.

Generic vouchers you'd be better off mentioning at the start that you have them and see what they say as you start haggling

Cash will always be king, but then you loose out on some of the protection you may have on a CC, so it depends on what you want
    It's a voucher for the particular store. Whilst I want to get a decent price, I don't want to look like a cheapskate in the process (though it's inevitable, really :o )

There's no harm in asking, the worst they can say is no and you walk away with nothing gained or lost. If you really want it then pay full price then or wait a few days if you want and try again with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

delllat wrote: »
    always haggle with cash if possible ,if buying a car for say 3000 go down with 2500 in €10 notes

it will look like a brick of money and people go week at the knees for large wads of cash

Most fellas go weak at the knees on sight of a large wad....but that's another thread.

I don't think the cash/voucher thing makes any odds. In this day and age does anyone even know the difference for the retailer in being paid by cash/cheque/credit card?? Will a big chain store really make cash disappear before it goes to the company account? I don't think so,that's what well paid accountants are for, haggle away and if the rep tries to change the state of play at point of sale just ask for the manager. They won't want the aggro and it's no aggro to them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I'd imagine the main problem with haggling (with store vouchers as payment), is they have already made the sale when you bought the vouchers....

They don't need to lower the price to entice you.. they already have your money. Your not really in a position to take your business elsewhere.. Best chance may be at the end of a sales cycle, when the salesman is trying to hit targets..

Advertisement