Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Provisional Exam Results- how to calculate degree GPA?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hey,
    I am just wondering if any one knows how to calculate the overall degree GPA when the provisional results come out on Friday? My second year results were worth 30% and final year- 70% but not quite sure how to work out whether i got a 2:1 or whatever, many thanks in advance, your help would be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 freshtodeath

Do you already know your 2nd year results, or will these be your second yr results?

If you know your 2nd yr GPA multiply it by .3 and multiply this year's by .7 and add them, a 2:1 is 3.08 - 3.67, a first is 3.68+...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Well now,
    Add up the gpa's of your 6 best modules from 2nd year, divide by 6, there's your gpa, now take that divide it by 100 (so for example you have 3.6, divide it by 100 and you get 0.036) then multiply your figure by 30 and you should get the estimate of 30% of your gpa (e.g. 0.036 X 30 = 1.08 = 30% of your degree).
    Do this exact same system for your 1st semester exam results and instead of 30, you use 35 to give you your marks for half of your final year (e.g. Best 6 modules, added divided by six equals cumulative gpa of e.g. 3.6, then divide this by 100 X 35 = 1.26 = 35% of your degree marks, then add this with stage 2 final result and you have 65% of your degree marks sorted).

I think this is how it works, I stand open to correction as I'm only fully aware of the current situation of the final year students in arts operating under the 50-50 system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

I dont want to start a new thread for this but i'm confused as to what exactly are these 'provisional' results we are receiving on friday? How likely is it that there will be a change between the provisional and final results? and what effects this change?

I dont want to start a new thread for this but i'm confused as to what exactly are these 'provisional' results we are receiving on friday? How likely is it that there will be a change between the provisional and final results? and what effects this change?

This might be wrong, so again correct it at your will as I'm not 100% sure on the matter. Provisional results mean that they're not the finished article, they can still be changed, modified etc... not final being the key words here. Now You're receiving provisional results of the 2nd semester of your final year thus affecting the total final year results and also your degree result, really these results tomorrow reflect what you did in the summer exams (of course) and that this last 25% or 35% of your degree really affects the kind of degree you get, either a 1.1, 2.1 etc... The provisional as far as I'm aware, change relatively little from the final results, it is a period where you the student can contest your grade (i.e. they could bump you up if you complain enough). I think also the external examiner has a look at a few papers before the final results are given out (i.e. he/she can downgrade or upgrade based on the general grades of the class). You can take it though that what you see tomorrow is what you get on the 18th. Don't panic, tomorrows results can change in your favour if you contact UCD straight away if you feel you deserve a better grade, the likelyhood of being downgraded is slim but not zero. You can assume though, tomorrow is D-Day.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

El Siglo wrote: »
    ...it is a period where you the student can contest your grade (i.e. they could bump you up if you complain enough).
    You have to wait until the final results are out before you can contest a grade. There's lots of info here - http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/studentfaqs.html

• Advertisement

You have to wait until the final results are out before you can contest a grade. There's lots of info here - http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/studentfaqs.html

Cheers Grimes for clearing that one up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

snap

is 2nd year only 30%? or is this only for people finishing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

snap

is 2nd year only 30%? or is this only for people finishing this year?

2nd year is 50% for everyone. It was 30% for the year that finished last year as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

cool

i thought i just wasted my year there for a sec - thank ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Where did the 70/30 thing come from?

for people who did 2nd year in 2006/2007, it's "based on the best 6 modules from Stage 2 and ALL modules from Stage 3, with the modules equally weighted."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Im a 3rd commerce student who has just missed out on a 2.1 by .02 of my GPA. If i dont get a 2.1 in the final results I'm going to miss out on a paid masters and job after that. I feel a few of my results were lower than I expected. Any idea who I should contact to see if I can get brought up to a 2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Im a 3rd commerce student who has just missed out on a 2.1 by .02 of my GPA. If i dont get a 2.1 in the final results I'm going to miss out on a paid masters and job after that. I feel a few of my results were lower than I expected. Any idea who I should contact to see if I can get brought up to a 2.1?

nobody... these are provisional. I think you'll have to wait 'til the 18th to start getting into appeals and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I'm still having problems getting to grips with the GPA system. What is the minimum GPA for a 2.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

convert wrote: »
    I'm still having problems getting to grips with the GPA system. What is the minimum GPA for a 2.2?

Pass degree 2.0- 2.47

2.2 degree 2.48- 3.07

2.1 degree 3.08- 3.67

1st degree 3.68 and above

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Brimmy wrote: »
    2nd year is 50% for everyone. It was 30% for the year that finished last year as far as I am aware.

Sorry - this is incorrect. It depends on what degree you are doing. Some degrees only use the final year, some weight the last two years the same and some weight second year at 30% and the final year at 70%. You need to find out how your own degree is calculated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SuperBelly

I need 0.01 GPA to get a first. How do I go about this? I am on exactly 3.67

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nheil

sorry if this has already been answered i'm really just double checking and trying to get my head straight!

my question is this: as a ucd arts student in final year this year, how will my GPA be calculated? i know its 50/50 but will this mean all 12 grades from 2nd year along with all 12 grades from 3rd year will be counted, or is it just my 6 best from 2nd year, along with all 12 from 3rd year?

i'd appreciate anyone who could clear this up!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

nheil wrote: »
    sorry if this has already been answered i'm really just double checking and trying to get my head straight!

my question is this: as a ucd arts student in final year this year, how will my GPA be calculated? i know its 50/50 but will this mean all 12 grades from 2nd year along with all 12 grades from 3rd year will be counted, or is it just my 6 best from 2nd year, along with all 12 from 3rd year?

As an Arts student, they will calculate your final GPA from all the 24 modules you did in 2nd and 3rd year.

nheil wrote: »

50-50, every module counts, the best six racket applied only to the year previous in a transition system, our year is the first year with all modules from 2nd and 3rd year counting towards our final degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nheil

El Siglo wrote: »
    50-50, every module counts, the best six racket applied only to the year previous in a transition system, our year is the first year with all modules from 2nd and 3rd year counting towards our final degree.

ah. i was afraid of that. thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

taz70 wrote: »
    Sorry - this is incorrect. It depends on what degree you are doing. Some degrees only use the final year, some weight the last two years the same and some weight second year at 30% and the final year at 70%. You need to find out how your own degree is calculated

Thanks for that. Like I said it was only as far as I was aware :)

I know mine (arts) used to be 30/70 and is now 50/50. Wish it was 30/70 as my 2.1 would be a lot higher but I can't complain either way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Themightydoosh

So just to clear things up for an arts student finishing this year add your stage 2 GPA and Stage 3 GPA together and divide by 2, this will give me my overal degree GPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

If I have a gpa of 4.2 and in my last exam I only score 50% can someone tell me what my overall gpa will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GusFring

Can anyone tell me if UCD has a discretionary band for a 1.1?

I did my undergrad in UL and a 1.1 was a QCA of 3.4 but there was a possibility of getting it with a QCA of 3.3+

Advertisement