Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Marketing (Smurfit or DIT or other)

Options
  • 04-06-2009 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm interested in doing a full-time masters in marketing but would appreciate some feedback on the best masters out there, my options and chances of getting accepted.

I have a 2:2 from TCD in English Literature and a distinction in a post-grad diploma from Dublin Business School in Marketing, Advertising and PR (called MAPR). I have been working in marketing for the past 5 years and in the past three have been involved in strategy and planning but not in any of the glam areas (i.e. brand management/FMCG etc).

I rang Smurfit and I was told that I should apply (once she heard that I had a post-grad) but there are three courses there and I'm not sure which is best for me (I intend to stay in Ireland so am thinking of doing the MBS in Marketing).

All the masters in this area are obviously quite pricy so I'd like to ensure I make the right choice!

I believed Smurfit Business School would be the best masters to apply for (even though it's a bit out of my way - I'm based on the Northside) so am also looking at DIT's programmes.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding these options and programmes?

Would really appreciate hearing back on it as I have to get application in tout suite :)...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rossli

Hi if you want please call 017168910 and you can talk to the Smurfit Roadshow team. Ask for Don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dblstudent

You should check out Chartered Institute of Marketing courses. I think there's a postgrad diploma that you can do in Dublin. 2 place have got the courses Alternatives and the Carlyle Institute. They're a good bit cheaper also!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

rossli wrote: »
    Hi if you want please call 017168910 and you can talk to the Smurfit Roadshow team. Ask for Don

Rossli, please familiarise yourself with the charter if you work for a college & make sure to say so if that's the case. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

op - you are based on the northside and not considering DCU's MBS in Marketing? It is at least on par with UCD's and has imo a better reputation than DITs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

Well I got an offer from Smurfit MSc in Marketing (they don't have the MBS anymore) so I'm chuffed.

I have a friend who lives on Carysfort Avenue/Road near Smufit and I am currently helping her with her start-up business, creating a website and SEM plan, co-ordinating flyers, establishing systems and have put together a marketing strategy for her. As it's a brand new area it will need a good bit of adaptation and fine-tuning so I will be staying over at her place during the week (for a couple of weekdays) and helping her with the company. Also I have a car so can commute - I don't mind early mornings!!

Anyone have much feedback on the course before I accept the offer? I appreciate its just got a bit of a facelift but looks to be essentially the same as the MBS in all but name.

It's a lot of money to pay out and I hope it's worth it but I'm sure it is (as with most things in life) a case of what you put into it is what you get out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

I have had friends do the masters in ucd and tbh they enjoyed it and probably worth the money. That said they were fresh out of undergrad with no experience and were using it as a means of getting a marketing job (some did some didn't). Since you've already stated that you have 5 years exp in marketing I do wonder why your taking on the marketing masters now, would you not be better saving a bit more and taking on an MBA? That would be my choice anyway with your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jewelsster

Well if you look at most jobs they are looking for a business/marketing degree. My undergrad is in English Literature so I wouldn't be completely comfortable with a business masters (though I'm confident enough my knowledge of marketing is good, it needs additional marketing theory and broader experience to really make the leap).

Also, an MBA is quite a bit more expensive and marketing is really where my interest lies.

Does that make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thriller

Sounds like you are making the right decision, The MSc will compliment your Post-Grad in MAPR and is far more specific and relevant to your career than the MBA if you intend to remain in the marketing area.

I'm due to begin the MSc in Marketing at Smurfit on Monday week which is a bit scary since I graduated in 2000! I have heard good things about the course namely that there are a lot of presentations with about 12-14 hours per week of classes.

I'm sure your experience helping your friend with her new business start up will also help you with the project part of the programme which takes place next May.

Good luck with the course, hope you enjoy the UCD experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fredericos

hey thriller, how is that course going for you now? have been looking into it also but not 100% sure about commiting due to the hefty price. a lot of the other master on offer are a lot cheaper. seems to be a good 2 year part course in DIT (Marketing executive) any1 heard anything on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

fredericos wrote: »
    hey thriller, how is that course going for you now? have been looking into it also but not 100% sure about commiting due to the hefty price. a lot of the other master on offer are a lot cheaper. seems to be a good 2 year part course in DIT (Marketing executive) any1 heard anything on this one?

I did the MSc in Marketing in DIT last year. I did the full time one. Excellent course, I'd give it 9.5/10...one module I think I could have done without but other then that it's brilliant.

In smurfit you pay a hell of a lot more money, and it's for the smurfit brand name if you ask me. During my studies I spent a lot of time in Blackrock lib as it was closer to my house and I looked through a lot of the thesis in there when I was doing mine. I was so surprised at the standard I came across. It was certainly a lot lower than what I and some of my colleagues submitted in DIT. Take from that what you will :p. Although having said that, those few I know who have gone to Smurfit have really enjoyed it and employers do like that brand name too.

I attended some seminars during the year with the Exec Marketing in DIT. As expected the class was made up of older individuals who were in the industry for some years with a good few being self employed. My old lecturer Aileen Kennedy coordinates this course (well did last year) and trust me, call her, she is so helpful and she will give you all the info you need.

Long story short. I think the business school in DIT is excellent and so are the staff. You give 100% for the 2 years and you will never regret it. My class have done really well despite the tough ecomomy. 2 have got jobs with Google, and others have gone to Ricesteele, CommScope, BOI and I got a job in Facebook...not bad considering the state of the industry eh? :D

Any other questions just ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fredericos

thanks for the info, thats great. was actually planning on calling aileen tomo anyway....got her name from another lecturer in DIT. going to discuss the exec course....its great to know that she is very helpful so:)

going to try and drill you for more info now. i am looking to do marketing course as stage 1 of a career switch into that area (am currently in IT). Trying to figure out what day-2-day entry/graduate level marketing positions would entail.....i.e. what would you actully be doing? i have my idea of what marketing means but have a feeling i am thinking of all the 'nice n exciting' things (like radio, tv ads etc) and maybe ignoring the more admin/research/boring side of things which i am sure takes up some time. could you enlighten me on this in anyway? dont need any specifcs but looking for a % breakdown of diff tasks that come up every day/week. thanks in advance for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

fredericos wrote: »
    thanks for the info, thats great. was actually planning on calling aileen tomo anyway....got her name from another lecturer in DIT. going to discuss the exec course....its great to know that she is very helpful so:)

going to try and drill you for more info now. i am looking to do marketing course as stage 1 of a career switch into that area (am currently in IT). Trying to figure out what day-2-day entry/graduate level marketing positions would entail.....i.e. what would you actully be doing? i have my idea of what marketing means but have a feeling i am thinking of all the 'nice n exciting' things (like radio, tv ads etc) and maybe ignoring the more admin/research/boring side of things which i am sure takes up some time. could you enlighten me on this in anyway? dont need any specifcs but looking for a % breakdown of diff tasks that come up every day/week. thanks in advance for this!

That's good. She'll let you know all about the course. Ok well I was in the same position as you, I had worked in the financial services industry in a compliance role and was looking to move into marketing but had zero experience. So the conversion masters was of a huge appeal to me.

In terms of what a marketing graduate, or what a marketing job entails...I would have to say that is a rather difficult question to answer. From what you've said it seems you are attracted to the creative advertising side of marketing which is cool (DIT also has a dedicated Advertising masters if that's really what you want to focus on - you can choose creative or exec route). 'Marketing' and marketing jobs cover so much more than advertising though...they can include market research, product or service design, business to business marketing, merchandising, consumer or industry sales, customer relationship management, strategic management, PR. But if creative advertising is where you want to be then you could go on to work for an ad agency such as Ogilvy or Cawley Nea etc, or there are many smaller, more market specific agencies out there too. You could be working on coming up with creative advertising measures for lots of cool brands and products.

One area that is becoming so crucial is online marketing, which you should def choose as a module if you do the DIT marketing course - trust me. If you have a look at marketing jobs online you will see a huge emphasis on online and search marketers. I work in the industry now and I love it.

Basically as a marketer you can do so much. It's about finding what part of marketing you love and running with it. For me it was online. Hope this helps somewhat.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MagsMogli28

I was hoping to pick your brains please Roro!

I'm obviously new to this thread, and I know it's an old thread now at this stage.... but I also work in Marketing, and have worked in FMCG for the past 3 years...I have always been interested in Online Marketing, albeit I only dipped into it in my final year in college...any advice on next steps that might help me make the transition into online from pure FMCG marketing? I was thinking of doing a Masters in EMarketing in DCU??
    Any advice much appreciated! Thanks a lot in advance.

Advertisement