Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Wireless Router to work with UPC

Options
  • 04-06-2009 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Gonna be getting a UPC broadband connection soon but don't want to have to use the Netgear wireless router they sell.

Used it before and found it heartbreaking at times.

Can anyone recommend a wireless router that will work with the connection or what I should look for when shopping around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

You can't go wrong with a Linksys WRT54GL.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244108592&sr=8-1

If you don't like the firmware on it, you can install a Linux based one like DDWRT or Tomato, which will give you much more features. We have one with Tomato firmware in a student house serving 6 people (who torrent) sharing a 20MB connection. It's rock solid and is well able to handle the traffic.

mobius42 wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with a Linksys WRT54GL.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000ETX928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244108592&sr=8-1

If you don't like the firmware on it, you can install a Linux based one like DDWRT or Tomato, which will give you much more features. We have one with Tomato firmware in a student house serving 6 people (who torrent) sharing a 20MB connection. It's rock solid and is well able to handle the traffic.

+1
    Especially if you fileshare. It is not so much traffic load that causes problems for most routers but simultaneous open connections. The third party firmware will avoid nat table overloads.

If you dont fileshare then any of the newer models from linksys or netgear will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Ha ha perfect, actually I had my eye on that one. Thanks

Edit: Oh is there is any problem with using windows with it as its Linux based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Just a heads up.
    Some customers have reported that they're being installed with a new Cisco wireless modem from UPC.
    Not sure if it's just a test, or what.
    This takes the Netgear out of the equation.
    Not enough reviews in yet to say how good it is, but the first few seemed happy.
    With this you can use the wireless built in, or you can connect up your own router if you want to use the that wireless instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Ha ha perfect, actually I had my eye on that one. Thanks

Edit: Oh is there is any problem with using windows with it as its Linux based?

I'm not sure that the firmware it comes with is Linux based, but you can put Linux-based firmware on it yourself.

Either way, that makes no difference as to what computers work with it. All routers and OSs use the same TCP/IP protocol, what OS you use is irrelevant. We have Macs, PCs, iPhones, DSs and even the odd Linux box on our network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

mobius42 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that the firmware it comes with is Linux based, but you can put Linux-based firmware on it yourself.

Either way, that makes no difference as to what computers work with it. All routers and OSs use the same TCP/IP protocol, what OS you use is irrelevant. We have Macs, PCs, iPhones, DSs and even the odd Linux box on our network.

Thanks man.

Advertisement