Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Oil in lawnmower

Options
  • 04-06-2009 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I put the wrong oil in my lawn mower a while back, and I also over filled it.
    Now after putting in the correct oil (SAE 30) and to the right level, it wont start.

Im going to change the spark plug, but is there anything else I should do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Assuming it was running OK before. Check the air filter, it may have become contaminated with oil. If it has, take it out, clean out the housing and try to start without the air filter. If it starts then, simply clean (if a sponge one) or replace the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bmaxi wrote: »
    Assuming it was running OK before. Check the air filter, it may have become contaminated with oil. If it has, take it out, clean out the housing and try to start without the air filter. If it starts then, simply clean (if a sponge one) or replace the filter.

i'm having the same problem with my lawnmower, i put in regular motor oil >didn't realise that the oil type was important

btw whereabouts is the air filter in a push mower:confused: (briggs & stratton engine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

fryup wrote: »
    i'm having the same problem with my lawnmower, i put in regular motor oil >didn't realise that the oil type was important

btw whereabouts is the air filter in a push mower:confused: (briggs & stratton engine)

On most B & S engines the air filter is in a boat shaped housing on the left front, looking from the front.
    Most 10w 30 motor oils are fine for lawn mowers, just make sure you change it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

lawn mower is back working again TG
    i spilled out the wrong oil and put in the correct SAE30 grade
    it still wouldnt start after this, so I took out the air filter, it was sopping in oil
    i tried starting it without any filter, and it did first time
    stuck in new filter and away she went

the briggs & straton website is very good, details of where filter can be found and how to change stuff is on there

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/routine_maintenance/changing_air_filters/paper.aspx

Advertisement