Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press Release from the SEC regarding LC English Paper 2

Options
  • 04-06-2009 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

I contacted the press office of the SEC last night to see what, if any, advice they could give the students who read this board. Here's what they came back with:
    Late this afternoon the State Examinations Commission (SEC) was made aware that the Leaving Certificate English Paper 2, Higher and Ordinary Level, scheduled to take place tomorrow morning, was distributed in error to candidates in one of our examination centres. This was given to candidates instead of the Leaving Certificate English Paper 1 which was scheduled for examination this morning. The error was noticed quickly, the question paper was retrieved and the correct paper distributed to the candidates.

However this error allowed time for some of those candidates to become aware of significant key elements of the contents of the Leaving Certificate English Paper 2 and therefore the SEC has decided, in fairness to all candidates taking this subject and in order to protect the integrity of the examination process to defer tomorrow’s Leaving Certificate English Paper 2, Higher and Ordinary Level.

The SEC has detailed contingency arrangements in place to cope with unforeseen circumstances (including the preparation of alternative papers). The compromised papers have been replaced and the Leaving Certificate English Paper 2 examinations will now take place on Saturday 6th June 2009 from 9.30am to 12.50pm.

This decision was taken following contact with the Education Partners and the SEC is very grateful for their assistance and support in this regard. This is the earliest opportunity that the papers could be re-scheduled because of the significant logistical difficulties in getting alternative papers to over 2,000 examination centres in about 800 schools and examination halls nationwide.

The Department of Education & Science is making arrangements with Bus Eireann to ensure the provision of the regular week day post primary school transport service on Saturday.

The candidate is at the centre of our considerations and we are doing all that is possible to minimise stress and concerns for them and their families at this time.

While the SEC was reluctant to make any changes to the timetable, particularly given that the examinations have commenced, this is the only option open to us when the integrity of the English examination has been compromised.

The SEC wishes to stress that all of the other examinations scheduled for tomorrow are going ahead as planned.

If you have any queries on this matter please contact: 1800 713 913

I'll let you know if I get any more from them.

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Part 2:
    Below is a list of questions and answers that we hope will provide information to those affected by this change i.e. Candidates and their families, school authorities and superintendents.

Candidates / Parents

I am a Leaving Certificate student due to take English Paper 2 tomorrow Thursday 4th of June – What should I do?
    1. The examination session has been deferred until Saturday 6th of June at 9.30am.
    2. An alternative examination paper is being provided.
    3. You should not attend for examination tomorrow morning however you should continue to prepare for your examination in the normal way.

I am due to take LCA exams or Junior Certificate exams tomorrow or the Leaving Certificate Engineering; what should I do?

All other examinations on the timetable are unaffected by this change and will proceed as scheduled.

What is the standard of the alternative exam paper?

All of our examination papers, including our alternative papers, are prepared in accordance with our published principles and protocols. The SEC would like to assure candidates that the alternative paper is of an equivalent standard to the paper that was withdrawn.

What if I am unavailable to attend on Saturday?

Our approach to arranging to defer this examination to Saturday 6th June was that this was the earliest opportunity, given the logistical constraints, to hold this examination as close as possible to Paper 1 in that subject. Candidates are expected to attend for the rescheduled examination.

How will I get to the exam centre?

You should proceed to the centre in the normal way. Candidates that normally use the post-primary transport service will have access to this service on Saturday.

How will this paper be marked?

This is a deferred sitting of the Leaving Certificate English examination. The paper will be marked in accordance with the established standard.

I have been granted a reasonable accommodation for Leaving Certificate English. How will this change apply to me?

This is a deferred sitting of the examination; all of arrangements that you have been granted for Leaving Certificate English will be provided to you on Saturday.

School Authorities

What should schools do now?

A letter will be sent from the SEC tomorrow to all school principals about the arrangements for the deferred Leaving Certificate English Paper II examination now taking place on Saturday morning. This letter will accompany the alternative examination paper.

Who will open the school on Saturday?

The Commission understands that schools will operate as on a normal exam day. If they have any queries in relation to school opening arrangements they should talk to their managerial body representative.

Superintendents
    What do I do tomorrow morning if I’m a Leaving Certificate Superintendent?

You should attend the examination centre as normal. Your role is to advise candidates who may attend at the centre for their exam that LC Higher Level English Paper II and LC Ordinary Level Paper II is now taking place at 9.30 AM on Saturday 6th of June.

What if I’m not available on Saturday morning?

It is expected the superintendents will superintend in the normal way. If this is likely to cause any particular difficulty for an individual superintendent they should liaise without delay with the school Principal of the school in which they are superintending.

How will I get the new paper?

The packets containing the alternative examination papers are being provided to schools and will be given to you by the school principal on Friday.

What do I do when I get the alternative paper?

The packets of the alternative examination paper must be added to the examination paper box and securely stored under the normal arrangements that apply to your centre – either in the school or at the Gárda Station.

How do I return the scripts to the State Examinations Commission?

You should follow the instructions on the General Instructions for Superintendents; see Part 14, Paragraph 5 on Page 24.

How should Saturday’s exam be conducted?

The rescheduled exam should be operated under the exact conditions as prescribed in the General Instructions for Superintendents and the Day-to-Day Instructions for Leaving Certificate English Paper 2.

Will I be paid for this additional work?

Yes. Please claim on your Form of Account in the normal way.

Will I require the attendant?

Yes. The attendant should attend and should be paid as normal.

Advertisement