Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get enough protein

• 04-06-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I'm currently reading Anita Bean's food for fitness book and trying to eat a better diet.

In the book she says that if you exercise regularly (which I do - triathlon training and marathon training) that you should aim to get 1.2 to 1.4g of protein per kg.

I'm currently 124kg so thus should be eating between 148.8g to 173.6g of protein a day. I have to admit that my diet is far too "carb" heavy at the moment.

What foods do people eat to up their protein intake?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Steak, chicken, tuna, eggs, peanut butter, salmon, cheese, nuts, cottage cheese.

Ptotein shakes are always handy if you cant get the food into you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'm dairy free at the moment so cheese isn't an option at the moment.

Thanks for your feedback though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Actually if anyone has a dunce hat - I'm actually 56.3kg (or 124 pounds d'uh).

Which means 67.6 to 78.9 g of protein, which I can see is doable. Was wondering how I'd mange 140-ish g of protein on 1550 calories a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Esse85 wrote: »
    Steak, chicken, tuna, eggs, peanut butter, salmon, cheese, nuts, cottage cheese.

Beans, certain types of seaweed and millet are other excellent sources of protein. (some beans more so than others.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

You may not need to focus on protein dense foods as much as you think, there's protein in just about everything and even high carb foods like wholemeal bread can be good sources. if you're a vegan try tofu, tempeh, quinoa, nuts and seeds, vegan yoghurt and plenty of beans and lentils. You shouldn't need to focus too heavily on it though most people get too much protein anyway and most are insecure that they're not getting enough despite their over consumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

If you're a vegan try tofu, tempeh, quinoa, nuts and seeds, vegan yoghurt and plenty of beans and lentils.

Is there any way of making quinoa or millet so that they are nice?
    I've always hated both of them but have made an effort to force them down me for a few months during a health kick. I usually just cook then like porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

to be honest I don't eat either really, I'm really allergic to quinoa and I don't eat millet because it dosn't do my IBS any good. I'd just google em for recipes sure there's loads of gode ones online. My sister just eats boiled quinoa as a side dish like rice with veg etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Get yourself a soya based protein shake then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

chilly wrote: »
    Is there any way of making quinoa or millet so that they are nice?
    I've always hated both of them but have made an effort to force them down me for a few months during a health kick. I usually just cook then like porridge.

Try making millet burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭baybike

For tasty quinoa try adding some curry powder to oil in the pot and fry up the quinoa for a couple of minutes before adding the boiling water. This is a great base to throw a load of veg and chicken into and eating it either hot or lunchbox cold...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gram flour is high in protein, see my post on it here.

I make spicy or curry chicken pancakes with it. I cut chicken up really small with a scissors, fry in a saucepan, turn the heat off, pour in gram flour mixed with flour or water (and an egg if you want), pour this over the chicken and very gently swish it around. The chicken should be spaced out evenly so it is even in the pancake. I put the lid on and let it all set, then turn it into a pancake pan to cook the other side. Makes a big pancake which is like doughy chicken balls from the chinese.

Also check the protein powder supplements in my signature link, they have non-milk based ones, and have reviews regarding tastes etc.

Advertisement