Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remainder Theorem for higher level maths?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I can't find it in my text book anywhere so can somebody link me to a proof or somewhere in past exams where t'was asked?

It's a possibilty on paper one not two right?

Regards :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

there is no remainder thoerem proof??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

there is no remainder thoerem proof??????????

really?

my grinds teacher told me to learn it!! maybe he's go mad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

It's not on the syllabus.
    It says it here

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN

Use of Remainder theorem not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

alan4cult wrote: »
    It's not on the syllabus.
    It says it here

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/lc_maths_sy.pdf?language=EN

Use of Remainder theorem not required.

oohh right , thanks everyone!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Any website that has all the proofs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya really stuck on what proofs there are for paper 1 ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

factor thoerem
    de moivre & de moivre for -n (which could come up even though the + part was on last year)
    First principals - (u+v) (uv) (u/v) (x^n) ..(x^2) (x^3) (1/x) (sq root of x) (sin x) (cos x)

trig identities cos (a+B) is overdue

how nice am i ?

Yah, it's not on the syllabus. It's a pity it isn't, because there's a nice proof of the Factor Theorem using it.

As for the proofs on the syllabus: give a search back through the the last few pages, because there was a full list posted about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

factor thoerem
    de moivre & de moivre for -n (which could come up even though the + part was on last year)
    First principals - (u+v) (uv) (u/v) (x^n) ..(x^2) (x^3) (1/x) (sq root of x) (sin x) (cos x)

trig identities cos (a+B) is overdue

how nice am i ?

trig identities rnt on paper 1 are they? Im pretty sure theyre on p2. Also the differential rule by induction is a proof for p1 and it hasnt been asked recently.
    Most r expecting quotient and/or product rule proofs for diff and maybe sinx from first principles;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

zodac wrote: »
    trig identities rnt on paper 1 are they? Im pretty sure theyre on p2. Also the differential rule by induction is a proof for p1 and it hasnt been asked recently.
    Most r expecting quotient and/or product rule proofs for diff and maybe sinx from first principles;)

No, trig equations are on Paper 2, so no need to worry about them for tomorrow.

Don't forget about proving the Volume of a cone and sphere in Q8-Intergration

• Advertisement

If proof of the quotient rule comes up, do people think it would be "safe" to just prove the product rule from first principles, and then rearrange it algebraically to get the quotient rule? It's far less time consuming than proving the quotient rule straight out. And, you're still basing your quotient rule derivation technically on first principles (as you've proved the product rule that way).

I'm ignoring the natural log method for the moment, I think it's too risky.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

I only know the natural log method, we were never taught another way and its the only method in my book...

why is it risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

I only know the natural log method, we were never taught another way and its the only method in my book...

why is it risky?
    It ain't from first principles because you're assuming ln(x) differentiates to 1/x.

alan4cult wrote: »
    It ain't from first principles because you're assuming ln(x) differentiates to 1/x.

aaahh gotcha.
    thanks.

well i'm a bit screwed if that one comes up then!

As far as I know, they're accepting the natural log method until the next syllabus change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Can the induction proofs come up outside the induction question?

I'm not gonna do any induction tomorrow, can they ask an induction proof in a calculus question?

Got my first principals DOWN though :)

As far as I know, they're accepting the natural log method until the next syllabus change.

phew!
    hope your right.
    i'm sure they'll throw me a few attempt marks if i do that one right anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Can the induction proofs come up outside the induction question?

I'm not gonna do any induction tomorrow, can they ask an induction proof in a calculus question?

Got my first principals DOWN though :)

There's the induction proof for the differentiation rule.

Fringe wrote: »
    There's the induction proof for the differentiation rule.

I know that. I'm asking do they put that in Q5, or in Q6/7.

I know that. I'm asking do they put that in Q5, or in Q6/7.

I've never seen it in question 6 or 7, and I highly doubt they would put it there. Questions 6 and 7 are for differentiation only (as far as I'm aware); the proof of the differentiation rule using induction isn't differentiation.

P.S. Anyone know if the only volumes they can ask are of the cone and the sphere? Or can they give spin-offs of those two?

• Advertisement

I've never seen it in question 6 or 7, and I highly doubt they would put it there. Questions 6 and 7 are for differentiation only (as far as I'm aware); the proof of the differentiation rule using induction isn't differentiation.

P.S. Anyone know if the only volumes they can ask are of the cone and the sphere? Or can they give spin-offs of those two?

Well, they're the only two we were told to learn off. Can't they do random curves like an area question? So you just stick in (pi)|y^2dx?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Well, they're the only two we were told to learn off. Can't they do random curves like an area question? So you just stick in (pi)|y^2dx?

Yeah, the only specific volumes we need to learn are sphere and cone. The vol of a cone came up in 2005 so a sphere is due. They could also ask the area between a curve and a line.

2006 Q6 (c) was the proof of the differential rule by induction.

so yup they do put it in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

2006 Q6 (c) was the proof of the differential rule by induction.

so yup they do put it in there!

it's bad that I don't know what this is isn't it?
    we never did proof by induction/binomial thereom and all that stuff

Crap. Going to have to go over that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Crap. Going to have to go over that now.

Just did it. It's fairly simple.

And DeMoivre came up last year in Q3 so..

Advertisement