Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Dive sites

• 04-06-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

can anyone provide a list of the best dive sites around Ireland. I am a fairly experienced diver but with a limited budget and therefore not prepared to dive to see a shopping trolly in dublin bay.

all my experience has been in foreign locations and therefore i have absolutely no knowledge of Irish dive sites - all advice on sites and how to minimise the costs are welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

can anyone provide a list of the best dive sites around Ireland. I am a fairly experienced diver but with a limited budget and therefore not prepared to dive to see a shopping trolly in dublin bay.

all my experience has been in foreign locations and therefore i have absolutely no knowledge of Irish dive sites - all advice on sites and how to minimise the costs are welcome.

Belive it or not there's a lot more to see in Dublin bay than shopping trolleys, however for a long weekend i'd always try get off to the west coast. Any dive centre you go to will have a list of specific sites that they dive. You could also join a club and learn the sites that way. Most clubs i know have a huge library of sites that they dive.

As regards keeping costs down It really depends on how much you want to dive. If less than 10-15 times a yr i'd probably just go to a dive centre, If you want to dive more often than that i'd join a club, It'll work out cheaper in the long run and can also offer more flexibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hector Holmes

Thanks for the advice - you seem like you have a fair bit of experience diving in Ireland. What are your top 3 dive sites in Ireland - and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Hi Hector check out this site as well
    http://www.mydivelocker.ie/index.php?name=divemap
    What side of the city are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

What type of diving are you looking for?

What level of diving do you do?

What is your experience?

Might help to narrow it down a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Contact CFT at:

http://www.cft.ie

and ask them for the book "Underwater Ireland"

It has a wide variety of divesites - location/details etc.

Seadeuce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hector Holmes

Hi Guys,
    I am a divemaster PADI and have about 200 recreational dives but i have not dived for about 2 years. I know i need a refresher but then i want to engage in some good diving.
    I used to work in a dive shop and do not trust them to recommend dive sites as obviously whereever they are going on their next trip has wonderful diving.
    i just need some pointers on where are the best dives around - i could easily recommend my top 3 and that is what i ask from you guys - some unbiased advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

1. Kowloon Bridge, Baltimore
    2. Middle Rock, Kilkee
    3. The Pinacle, Kilkee

I reckon you'll get a long list here... it might be more cost effective to just go dive yourself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

St johns point Donegal, and Malinbag in Donegal well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

Head for Ballycastle in Antrim for a weekend. Some serious wreck diving up there if that is what your into. All shallow enough too mostly 30m dives. From, there you can also dive the north wall of Rathlin Island, I think it's somethin like 140m deep there, beautiful scenic wall dive. I went with Richard from Aquaholics, most helpful in fairness to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

+1 on St Johns, plus just across the bay Tom's Rock in Mullaghmore Co.Sligo is pretty good too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭denismc

For scenic diving go to the West coast, The Skelligs, Blaskets, Aran Islands and what the others mentioned.
    For wrecks Baltimore has the U260 and the Kowloon, there is the Aud in Cork, The Folia off youghal, up North there is The Loch Garry, Laurentic and a few more i cant think of.
    Of course the quality of the dive will vary a lot depending on the weather conditions, plankton etc
    Denis

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'm diving Murphys Rise on Sat. Any info. on the site or is it much the same as maiden rock, mugglins etc.
    Also this is my first summer of drysuit diving, would a day like today (about 23c) be too hot for the drysuit (shell) and 200gm undersuit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Can't comment on that site.

No problem wearing the drysuit in that temp. Unless you plan on doing a lot of hauling, ie launching boat, lifting gear, etc. while wearing it.

Leave it half-off until you are about to board, will be much cooler when you hit the water. 200g is average for the undersuit.
    If you want to get colder wear a tee beneath. It conducts all moisture/heat away from the body and will probably give you a chill.

Enjoy

Seadeuce

Cool-a-boola! :D

Very cool dive today @ Murphy's Rise. Great topography & lots of life, even managed to get bitten by a lobster on my shin!(He came at me from behind, sneaky sod...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Very cool dive today @ Murphy's Rise. Great topography & lots of life, even managed to get bitten by a lobster on my shin!(He came at me from behind, sneaky sod...)

Sallys Alley In Doolin was beautiful today. Lobbies, blennies and small schools of fish. Lots and lots of life down there. Its west side of the little island just off doolin pier.

Advertisement