Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

euros

• 04-06-2009 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

was unsure as to where to put this thread but anyway... does anyone else think that the uk should adopt the euro as their currency? just a thought. if they are part of the eu like the say they are i think they should have to change it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

It was their choice to opt out of it, nobody is obliged to adopt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lallychops wrote: »
    was unsure as to where to put this thread but anyway... does anyone else think that the uk should adopt the euro as their currency? just a thought. if they are part of the eu like the say they are i think they should have to change it.
    yes they should adopt it and also get rid of those horrible yellow registration plates and that auld queen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm, let's try the Economics forum for this one.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

dudara wrote: »
    Hmm, let's try the Economics forum for this one.

Thanks. A million.

No, they should not be made to accept, nor can they be. Not all countries in the EU are members of the Euro. They want to maintain their independent monetary policy for good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

1, 2, 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

not one person i have ever met in england,wants to have the euro,any british goverment who may try to push the euro,will without doubt fail,in fact most people in the uk,if ever they had a vote on the EU would wish to pull out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i think they are isolating themselves from the eu . most other countries have adopted it. if they dont want to accept legislation passed by the eu (optional or not) why did they join in the first place. it took them ages to accept the smoking ban.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Why would they? At the moment they can control there interest rates and devalue there currency.
    Something that would suit us at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

lallychops wrote: »
    i think they are isolating themselves from the eu . most other countries have adopted it. if they dont want to accept legislation passed by the eu (optional or not) why did they join in the first place. it took them ages to accept the smoking ban.................
    without getting to far from the subject ,the pound has always had closer links to the dollar than the euro,also the UK is the largest foreign invester in the US . when the uk joined the EU it was then a far different body, recently the US and canada changed there north american trade laws ,to allow other countries[i e the UK] if they opt out of the EU, to be able to join their trade org[this was by the request of a UK member from the house of lords,] and you dont need me to tell you that most in the UK feel that they are closer to the US than the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

If as forecast the UK continues to incur deficits and runs up the national debt then there will come a point where the cost of money will become more than the country can bear. Ireland would have reached that point more than a year ago if we were not in the Euro zone. Our Punt would have depreciated as much as 2/3 and we would be paying over 15% to borrow abroad. Life will become uncomfortable in the UK and when it does they will reconsider their relationship with the EMU. The benefit of the pound is to the financial centre in London along with lax oversight of the financial sector which has now bitten them in the derriere. Italy used depreciation of the lira as a tool for decades. It leads to short term gains followed by downturns followed by another round of depreciation like a roller coaster or not so merry go round. The Germans learned the hard way to insist on a low inflation, stable currrency environment. Let us benefit from their mistake and follow their advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement