Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

knocking sound + timing belt

• 04-06-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

any ideas what is the cause of the problem. Every time I turn sharply (90 degrees) to left or right, I can hear a knocking sound from the suspension.

Car is Daewoo Matiz.

Also does someone know what is the timing belt change limit with the same car, internet says 36k (honestjohn.co.uk), owner changed it on 40k but manual says 60k. I am a bit confused what would be the right info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

The turning could be your CV (Constant Velocity) Joints. - These can be changed easily.

About the timing belt, well it really depends on the car. My MG ZS is every 60,000 or 5 years I think, which ever comes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I know the timing belt depens from the car, but should I trust the manual or the internet, that is the problem,

the current belt has changed around 34k (miles) before.

I personally would trust the manual as it was made for the car (Assuming you have the correct manual for the correct model/litre engine!)

What's the car out of curiosity - you sure you have the exact same engine/spec as the ones on honestjohn etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

For timing belt I'd go by whats in the manual, after all its what the maufacturers who know the car best recommend.

Just looking at numbers is is possible one is kilometeres and one is miles as 36 miles is nearly 60 km. Might just want to check that out.

I double check the manual and maybe open the timing belt cover and check the belt myself.

The car is Daewoo Matiz, year 99, 798cc.

• Advertisement

Yeah - well, like Gillo says, the manufacturers know best so stick with them.
    Even if it was 40k, you would want to be very unlucky if it were to snap before 60 or even 80k. It just a precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Webmonkey wrote: »
    The turning could be your CV (Constant Velocity) Joints. - These can be changed easily.

About the timing belt, well it really depends on the car. My MG ZS is every 60,000 or 5 years I think, which ever comes first.

+1 on this it sounds like your CV joints. With the TB it does vary a bit for manufacturers but is very important to do it as stated as most engines but not all can be severely damaged if it snaps!

Hi just to tell you, in the manual this is mentioned, timing belt needs to be changed at 40 000 miles or 60 000 km.

So both internet and manual were right this time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

It might be worth checking with a dealer regarding the timing belt interval because manufacturers often revise their recommendations.

I think I will drive the car trough summer and then it can retire to nearest scrap yard with rest of the Korean junk:)

• Advertisement

Ok, one more question,

if I would go ahead and change the timing belt and cv joint, can someone give an estimate how much it would cost?

I am thinking 150e for cv joint and 200-250e for belt, would this be correct?

Advertisement