Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 broadband

Options
  • 04-06-2009 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

I got this white o2 broadband device about 4 months ago... I was under the opinion that you had 9 days to return it I RANG ON DAY 7 and it turns out its only 5 days so now i am signed up for 18months.

I have rang them several times with problems etc etc and said i dont want it as its too problematic etc etc and they just keep saying you signed up for 18 months so hard luck.... this is all true, but the thing is wrecking my head now...

... do i have any rites or ways to get out of this so i can go with a regular broadband supplier

many thanks paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

you could always return it to them and say you want out regardless and claim they are in breach of contract because of poor service. Worked for me before when NTL tried to force me to stay in a contract.

check teh fine print of what you signed not what some guy is saying over teh phone

full terms are http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About+O2/Terms+and+Conditions/O2+Broadband/Mobile+Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Say you are worried about how much radiation comes off them and you are afraid you will get cancer. Worked for my friend, he said it and no questions asked - contract suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

paddyc wrote: »
    Hey folks

I got this white o2 broadband device about 4 months ago... I was under the opinion that you had 9 days to return it I RANG ON DAY 7 and it turns out its only 5 days so now i am signed up for 18months.

I have rang them several times with problems etc etc and said i dont want it as its too problematic etc etc and they just keep saying you signed up for 18 months so hard luck.... this is all true, but the thing is wrecking my head now...

O2 are generally quite good when it comes to customer service, so I am surprised to hear that you are having problems with them. And I have found their data support team to be exceptionally knowledgeable and friendly.

Anyway, according to their own website, you have 7 days to return the device if you are not satisfied.

Either way, there is an O2 company rep on Boards.ie and has helped lots of Boardsies out. His username is Talk2O2: Daryll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I have actually cancelled my O2 broadband account (slow speed, no way to fix it etc) and in fairness to them they were great. They agreed that I wasn't getting the service that I should be getting, but they couldn't fix it, so they let me out of my contract.

Don't know if that helps you, but I have found them very reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hey folks

... do i have any rites or ways to get out of this so i can go with a regular broadband supplier

many thanks paddy

Its 7 days for returning the broadband from the day you bought it, get back to them again and explain you were told 5 days,if its noted on your account and the info is incorrect they should see about removing the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Hey folks

By law you have 2 weeks cooling off period. Now you are too late to do anything. Only way out is if you can prove that you are not getting the service you signed up for. Speed and download etc. If not sorry..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Since you wanted to cancel after 7 days and they lied and said it was only 5 days you have still the right to return the modem. The device as it is not able to deliver the service as they are contracted to for and you made your request to cancel within the original timeframe

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    By law you have 2 weeks cooling off period. Now you are too late to do anything. Only way out is if you can prove that you are not getting the service you signed up for. Speed and download etc. If not sorry..

Cooling off period is 7 working days, and only applies to distance selling. It can be extended to 3 months if the retailer denies the existence of the cooling off period, which they seem to have done, but since it's now been 4 months, I don't see how this really helps. The OPs only hope is if he can now claim that he was lied to in the beginning, but waiting 4 months is not going to help his case.

Advertisement