Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sat System Need Help Start to Finish inc Pics

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hey folks!

Have been posting for a while now on this topic but want to set up a base to post in so this will be it.

I will be posting my findings and all info including pics here so any help you could give me would be great!

This is the deal. My local club (Rugby) wants me to set up a new TV system to get the rugby on open sat's. Ok I said cant be much harder than the job I did no my ntl box in Belfast. (oh how I was wrong!) just when I think I have it covered some one else suggests something new.

Let me give you the lowdown on the site. There is no phone line so no BB I could set up a los like from my hose though about 2 miles away but sure I could find los if needed. South facing wall looks over two pitches so should be no problem with the dish.

What I want from my research is this. A motorised system with at least a 1meter dish. Where I am stumped is the receiver. Some swear my linux due to updates comming for encription others say just get any one you want and use the Cams on your PC. I am not the best with Linux ok im a n00b with linux but pretty sure I could pick up the bits needed.

I am not really worried about the price aslong as it does the job I want. It will be connecting to a Samsung 40" Plasma which I got for the club recently. the mount will be directly about 20 meters from the dish but need about 50 meters wire to be safe.

I also have a question about sat finders as in are they worth it? I will try to keep the posts comming and will give any info and or pics you may want.

I am going to italy on monday till the 19th ao if I coudl at least get my order in before this it would be great. I am also going to install ne Digital ariels and coax beacuse I will but up the roof anyway.

I am on msn a bit so if anyone is wishing to talk and add me just shout and i will pm you my addy but I would like to keep what i can on this post.

Thanks for listening and hopefully I will be responding to your replys soon

1Love

Jonny
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

Hello mate. Just a quick one to maybe give you a start. There is little to none Rugby available for free (FTA) across all sats. Without broadband your Linux box will not be any better than a standard CI enabled box.

All channels that were available via "keys" are gone and won't be returning for a while. Some cams will get some channels but the reliablity won't be good enough for a club setup.

Any questions on the above let me know and I'll try to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

tomslick wrote: »
    Hello mate. Just a quick one to maybe give you a start. There is little to none Rugby available for free (FTA) across all sats. Without broadband your Linux box will not be any better than a standard CI enabled box.

All channels that were available via "keys" are gone and won't be returning for a while. Some cams will get some channels but the reliablity won't be good enough for a club setup.

Any questions on the above let me know and I'll try to help out.

HI!!!

Thanks for the reply. I dont know how to put this as not to break rules but ill try. So i take it keys are like the ntl keys and they changed thats ok im all for legal views ;) i really dont want to set up the internet if possible but i could use my 3g stick if it only needed to be connected for a few mins at a time to 'update' or is it to stream the whole thing? You sound like you know your stuff when it comes to rugby on sats. any suggestions as to which way i should go?

Cheers

Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Either a subscription or Free To Air channels.

Anything else is Theft. This is not a copyright issue but theft of service. However often the companies sue under copyright infringement as there is no limit on the money (€180,000 payouts in Ireland). Theft of service criminal prosecution is "only" up to about €8,000 and/or 6 months jail.

In addition you wish to involve a Club and do it in public.

Feel free to start a new thread with no mention whatsoever of illegal activity.

BTW UPC and Virgin read forums and give due cause can get court order for time/date/IP from boards then get subscriber details from ISP.

Even the garda have sussed this stuff out, staking out a Dublin Internet café for return of a scammer. They caught him redhanded on Web and sucessfully prosecuted. The Internet is not anonymous and this site as it's in Ireland must observe Irish Law.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement