Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geog HL

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

can i be assured that global warming or deforestfication or desertfication to come up?.looking through exam papers i noticed it comes up every year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

flag123 wrote: »
    looking through exam papers i noticed it comes up every year.

That's why we cannot be sure.

I'm still learning it off anyway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

If I study both biomes Questions will i be covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

One thing I learnt about geography LeavingCert is to have a brief knowledge of it all, yes you can predict some stuff, but you're better to cover your backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

smndly wrote: »
    If I study both biomes Questions will i be covered?

Characteristics of a Biome and Human Interaction with a Biome? Yea, should be.

Even if you just learnt one question you could easily manipulate it anyway.
    But study to understand, not study to memorise....

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

For geography am i taking a big risk or a calculated risk by only know the bmw for irish region and mezzo for european with South west usa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Yeah, I'm going to look at Biomes, too!

For geography am i taking a big risk or a calculated risk by only know the bmw for irish region and mezzo for european with South west usa?

I don't know how you couldn't be prepared for GDA too......primate city, core region, nodal point, people migrate from west, change in urban land use (docklands), Primary activites, secondary activities, tertiary activities blah blah.... it's not that hard to think up things about the GDA.
    They could ask you to compare two regions in Ireland etc.
    If they ask you about urban expansion etc. in a european non-Irish region, it'll be hard to do it on Mezzogiorno.

What I'll be able to write about:
    BMW
    GDA
    Sambre Meuse (Belgium)
    Mezzigiorno
    Paris Basin
    Brazil
    India
    Northern Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

I'm going for the deforestation/desertification combo. There's really no point in doing a half assed attempt at learning more than one option. DOUBLE OR NOTHING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

will i be save leaving out the sambre meusse and cultural qs.
    i dont have time to learn them now!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm learning the two human impact answers for biomes and soils and praying to allah for it to come up! I might glimpse over characteristics of a biome just incase.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    GDA?
    You're in it....:p
    Greater Dublin Area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Uaschamóg

if the question says to desribe an irish landform

can you write about a waterfall? or a v-glen? or does it have to be the burren?

Uaschamóg wrote: »

If it doesn't specify the type e.g fluvial, coastal, volcanic, plutonic..... you can do anything.
    Waterfalls, Sea stacks, Batholith, Ox-bow lake, cirques etc.

Lads. Does anyone have a clue what's coming up for the economic elective? MNC's, Colonialism..etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

Uaschamóg wrote: »

yup waterfall, ox-bow lake, etc.
    just as long as you have an actual irish example of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

any ideas for human elective ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

flag123 wrote: »
    can i be assured that global warming or deforestfication or desertfication to come up?.looking through exam papers i noticed it comes up every year.

Well it's come up every year since it got changed in 2006. I'd be 90% sure it would beup, otherwise I'm fecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Lads. Does anyone have a clue what's coming up for the economic elective? MNC's, Colonialism..etc?

Cheers.

theyre the popular ones and Im hoping for em!

So if I know the CAP (example of EU policy), MNC's (Dell), Colonialism (Portugal + Brazil)...I should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

Beau x1 wrote: »
    So if I know the CAP (example of EU policy), MNC's (Dell), Colonialism (Portugal + Brazil)...I should be ok?

well thats what i'm doing so i hope so!

though they can ask about two EU policies so maybe knowing the CFP wouldn't be of harm.

oh and sustainable development nearly always comes up too, you know, the conflict between exploiting natural resources and not harming the environment etc.
    so the corrib gas line case study..

those three topics you've picked could come up, one in each question and then you'd be fcuked if you didn't know the other part so just be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

ok because my teacher is a bum, im trying to cram an entire course that i havnt learned today for the exam tomorrow!

anyways, im workin on exam questions.
    "referring to any one of the following, examine how humans interact with the rock cycle:
    Mining
    quarrying
    oil/gas exploration
    geothermal energy production"

so i was going to do gas but would i talk about gas in general (formation ect) or would i just talk completly about the corrib gas field and the problems and benefits of it ect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

wel im doin oil and gas exploriation in the north sea

Lads I'm so worried that deforestation/desertification won't come up. It's come up in the past 3 years. :/

halp

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

awhir wrote: »
    any ideas for human elective ?

I'm covering Overpop,
    2 urban land use theories
    Probs in developing cities well+developed briefly
    Central Place theory
    Settlement+Historical patterns
    Could prob bull**** on population demographics(birth rates etc)

Overpop should hopefully come up since migration came up last yr and they seem interchangeble. CP theory hasnt come up since 06.

Any one doin the Culture nd identity option?
    I have only religion as a source of conflict covered and have no idea wat else to cram for!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Anyone read the answer for characteristics for soil on the Irish times? I'm telling yeah that will come up, why would they put it on the front page and a perfect answer for it? And they did a sample for soil processes sooooo me thinks both of them are coming up and one biome question (prob impacts on a biome, well hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

ImJohn wrote: »
    Anyone read the answer for characteristics for soil on the Irish times? I'm telling yeah that will come up, why would they put it on the front page and a perfect answer for it? And they did a sample for soil processes sooooo me thinks both of them are coming up and one biome question (prob impacts on a biome, well hopefully).
    This in today's paper?

Nope few weeks back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

ImJohn wrote: »
    Nope few weeks back.

is it online?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Im doing a similar thing. They've always asked a general Irish/Euro question so fingers crossed but im going to have a read over the others just in case... After all the paper is written by a different person this year so you never know!

• Advertisement

strongr wrote: »
    is it online?
    I don't think so :/

If you want I can scan it on for ye..

Advertisement