Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geog HL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

why is everyone saying human impact on biomes is coming up this year when it was on last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

What has everyone studied for geog? im quite worried about what will come up on the regional section..for the written part on physical ive learned :

-Limestone and limestone pavements
    -Human interaction with rock cycle
    -plate boundaries/techtonics
    -earthquakes

gonna learn formation of a waterfall tonight!

then for the patterns and processes in the human environment:

-urban functions
    -population/overpopulation
    -migration

then for the option:

-biomes

ive learned some parts of the regional but im just worried the parts ive learned wont come up!

what have you all learned?

secondary and tertiary in sub continental region have never come up so i'd learn them.

and as for the biome there's due to be 2 soil q's and one biome q this year if it follows the pattern.....!

so much to learn so little time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Becuase 1 of the biomes have to come up..Last year it was 2 biomes 1 soil. This year it will be 2 soil and 1 biome. So it could be either characteristics of an biome or human impact on a biome.

or how plants and animals adapt to a biome...came up in 2007!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

I will be spending a half hour or so practicing sketching regions (Mezzogiorno, Belgium, BMW/GDA, Paris, Brazil), a few minutes to remind myself of a few waffley bits for historic settlement, definitely human interaction with the rock cycle (mining, in my case), revise problems that a city can face as it grows, diagrams that illustrate mass movement, plate tectonics and volcanicity are quite important, know my subcontinental regions and human impact on soil. Desertification and other bits and pieces I have saved here to read over on the PC are a must for me, too.

^That's probably a bit of a mess to read but it's what I'm looking out for to get high marks in, I have a good general knowledge imo so I can do at least "ok" in the rest and really nail certain things that can come up if they do.

I wouldn't stress at all to be quite honest with you - think of it logically and calm yourself down. The project is a big chunk - you only need a third to a half of the written for a good grade (at least from my PoV - I'm just wanting to get into my course, I don't know what you're after).

Be calm, learn it in chunks and make sure you understand what you're reading rather than going "Ok this this this" and learning off exact sentences. Know the ideas behind your SRPs - you won't have any trouble putting words on them when you know the odd statistic and a useful heap of facts.

You don't have much time but what I would do would be: primary/tertiary west of ireland, secondary dublin. Primary india and cultural. Messogiorno - primary, paris basin - secondary and maybe tertiary. do the problems all all 4 and hope for the best :D

please god let it be characteristics of a biome!!!!!

please god let it be characteristics of a biome!!!!!

There's a lot of choice, just revise another one at least to have an idea of it. Maybe one soil, one biome? They can overlap within those two sections quite frequently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

ImJohn wrote: »
    Becuase 1 of the biomes have to come up..Last year it was 2 biomes 1 soil. This year it will be 2 soil and 1 biome. So it could be either characteristics of an biome or human impact on a biome.
    does it have to be this way? can they leave out the biome????????:o

• Advertisement

galway.gaa wrote: »
    does it have to be this way? can they leave out the biome????????:o

There's always one of each methinks. Don't fret so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

Better to be safe - it's actually very quick to learn the basic soil characteristics and make-up, and you'll save yourself a bit of worry.

Personally I'm hoping for characteristics of a biome, too, but it came up last year - I don't think they'll put up such a vague, easy biome question again this year :(

Better to be safe - it's actually very quick to learn the basic soil characteristics and make-up, and you'll save yourself a bit of worry.

Personally I'm hoping for characteristics of a biome, too, but it came up last year - I don't think they'll put up such a vague, easy biome question again this year :(

Quoted for truth, the soil stuff is very logical once you know the terminology involved.

:(:(:(

oh no!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

for the regional i know dublin,mezzogiorno and south west usa.i'm studying global warming,deforestation.desertification but as back up i'm going over the aid debate

oh no!

No, I didn't mean to scare you! ;) Biome questions do seem to be repeated a lot, and they are always quite open. You'll be fine. (Just learn some soil to be safe!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

in the med biome if you said
    average maximum temperatures are 28deg C (august) and average minimum temps are 12deg C(January). The Range of temperatures is 16deg C.

is that 1 SRP or 2 or 3

so confusing :(

No, I didn't mean to scare you! ;) Biome questions do seem to be repeated a lot, and they are always quite open. You'll be fine. (Just learn some soil to be safe!)

right il try to cram a soil in tonight with the rest of the regional!

it will work...i think
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

If i cover: characteristics of a biome, proccesses that affect soil characteristics and how soil characteristics can be influenced by human interference will I be safe??

oh and is anyone studying the development of an Irish soil?

I'm vaguely studying Brown Soils, Phase-3.

I think you should be fine with those choices, you can maybe fit them into another essay indirectly if you have to - an SRP is an SRP, at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

anyone wanna give me their opinion real quick please please please

laptop battery about to go and if i go get the charger ill never get any study done

I think it depends how you phrase it.

If you squash it all in one sentance you might just get marked for one SRP, but if you spread it out a bit - "In winter is it x degrees. However in summer is is x degrees. All in all Ireland has a x temp range" you might get two or three.

phase-3 wrote: »
    If i cover: characteristics of a biome, proccesses that affect soil characteristics and how soil characteristics can be influenced by human interference will I be safe??

oh and is anyone studying the development of an Irish soil?
    You should be fine if you cover those.

I'll literally vomit if characteristics of soil or impact on a biome doesn't come up :(

I think I might look over characteriistics of a biome and soil processes now.

What actually came on your pre's for the geocology section???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Characteristics of a biome has come up every year so far but I'm learning human impacts too just in case. Anyone only started today? :rolleyes:

right il try to cram a soil in tonight with the rest of the regional!

it will work...i think
    :pac:

Tbh cramming a soil in sounds painful ;o
    Characteristics of a biome has come up every year so far but I'm learning human impacts too just in case. Anyone only started today?

Human impacts is defo a good backup. I've been doing bits over the past fortnight but going to revise what I have tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

On a question on migration, If you dont give an example of a donor or reciever region do you lose marks (even if it doesnt ask you to name an example)

Even for any question if it doesn't ask for an example do you lose marks.

Because our teachers corrected the mock papers themselves and if I never gave an example she just gave me 0 marks.. Surely thats wrong especially if not asked to name the area?

Kiara. wrote: »
    On a question on migration, If you dont give an example of a donor or reciever region do you lose marks (even if it doesnt ask you to name an example)

Even for any question if it doesn't ask for an example do you lose marks.

Because our teachers corrected the mock papers themselves and if I never gave an example she just gave me 0 marks.. Surely thats wrong especially if not asked to name the area?

You wouldn't get 0 marks. If it's like most questions though you do get 2-4 marks for kind of saying "Yeah I studied x and z and blah blah blah" as a leader sentence to your entire answer, with the remainder of the marks allocated according to the number of "proper" SRPs you include (in the examiner's eyes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kiara.

Yeah didn't think she marked it right!!

Just wanted to make sure though then so I don't make too many mistakes tomorrow :p

• Advertisement

Kiara. wrote: »
    Yeah didn't think she marked it right!!

Just wanted to make sure though then so I don't make too many mistakes tomorrow :p

Learn good comprehensive facts that you can work into SRPs and you can't go wrong, best of luck D:

Advertisement