Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

geog HL

Options

Comments

I am well and truely screwed for geography tomorrow.

I only know:

The three possible biome questions
    All of physical pretty well, including landforms etc.
    Cultural region and a region of industrial decline
    Sort of know the Mezzo and India
    As for the elective, I only know overpopulation...

God damn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Desertification + Forestation. Chances of that coming up? It came up last 3 years in a row..so wouldn't after the 3rd year be the massive 'turnaround'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

Beau x1 wrote: »
    Desertification + Forestation. Chances of that coming up? It came up last 3 years in a row..so wouldn't after the 3rd year be the massive 'turnaround'?

I would jizz in my pants if that came up.:D

I just wasted a whole ****ing day learning it and now its not gonna come up. AGGGH.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

if global warming/deforestation etc doesn't come up in the eighty marker do people think it'd be a safe bet that the aid debate will?

i'm not even sure what else they can ask on, other then the models of development and there's no way i'll know them by tomorrow...

• Advertisement

I dunno, I mean its come up 3 years in a row. I just feel like..I dunno. I really hope it does though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Can someone give me a brief run through of what they themselves are doing, I'm a bit lost in the exam's layout atm and worrying if I have something for each section :S

I've heard a lot about human int with rock cycle so I have mining covered, the Mezzogiorno as a peripheral region.. Some good stuff done for Biome/Soils, and the growth of Sao Paolo in Brazil, Limestone pavement as an Irish landform, what else do I need to get done that's likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackthunder

This probably sounds really stupid, But in all fairness I haven't had a geography teacher all year :p

In section 3 options you answer ONE question.

But stupidly the day before the exam I don't know if that means one out of Global Interdependance, Geoecology, Culture and Identity, Atmosphere-Ocean.

So do I answer one of them (then do all 3 questions) Or do I answer one question out of 13-24? (Like one question under one option)

Don't exactly know how to explain what im asking so hopefully you'll understand.

This probably sounds really stupid, But in all fairness I haven't had a geography teacher all year :p

In section 3 options you answer ONE question.

But stupidly the day before the exam I don't know if that means one out of Global Interdependance, Geoecology, Culture and Identity, Atmosphere-Ocean.

So do I answer one of them (then do all 3 questions) Or do I answer one question out of 13-24? (Like one question under one option)

Don't exactly know how to explain what im asking so hopefully you'll understand.

I do Geo Ecology so I do 1 of the questions under that mate, if that's something to go by. (Hopefully I'm not unknowingly in the same boat as you D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

is this subject really hard? i'm expecting to get a b1+ in it like for my lc, im only in 5th year now

• Advertisement

RHunce wrote: »
    is this subject really hard? i'm expecting to get a b1+ in it like for my lc, im only in 5th year now

It's so ridiculously easy if you put the work in. It doesnt even take much work. I myself find it easy to learn but have sort of slacked til the last while so I'm aiming for a high C or a low B!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackthunder

Claypigeon wrote: »
    I do Geo Ecology so I do 1 of the questions under that mate, if that's something to go by. (Hopefully I'm not unknowingly in the same boat as you D:)

Thank you!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

what have you all studied for human interaction with biomes!?

california?

what have you all studied for human interaction with biomes!?

california?

I think you need to realise something very important for the biome question!

You are talking about a type of biome not a place.

For example I study the hot, desert biome, This is not confined to one place. For example the Sahel region and certain areas of America can be talked about.

You're talking about a certain set of conditions, wildlife and other traits of an area and its climate, soils, etc etc not a place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

I think you need to realise something very important for the biome question!

You are talking about a type of biome not a place.

For example I study the hot, desert biome, This is not confined to one place. For example the Sahel region and certain areas of America can be talked about.

You're talking about a certain set of conditions, wildlife and other traits of an area and its climate, soils, etc etc not a place..

i know what you mean ..

i meant the human impact on the american desert biome-california..

do you think i could write about desertification caused by humans,settlement and industrial development in my answer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Geo is so unpredictable and it has one of the lowest statistic of A1s of all subjects so I wouldm't call it easy. Simple to get an c1 but hard to get an A. You have to know everything or get really lucky.

Whats the chances of the sambra meuse thing coming up...don't think I'll have time to revise it :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if one of the land use theories is going to come up? All that Hoyt Sector stuff? And the other ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭piggies

ImJohn wrote: »
    Geo is so unpredictable and it has one of the lowest statistic of A1s of all subjects so I wouldm't call it easy. Simple to get an c1 but hard to get an A. You have to know everything or get really lucky.

11 people in the 6th year geography class in my school got an A!
    I think its fairly easy to do well especially with the fieldstudy, i got a B1 in my mocks and i had'nt even covered most of the elective and left out one Q in regional!! so it's not that hard to do well :)

Aye I got a b3 in the mock and I didn't get the last long q done. I dunno how I got so much revised for it though, I remember feeling like I'd done a good job in what I did do. Now I'm kinda flustered with which to cover and whether it's worth revising 2 soil related qs ><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Does anyone know if one of the land use theories is going to come up? All that Hoyt Sector stuff? And the other ones?

They could come up. I say have atleast a good understanding of one of them. The Concentric zone theory by Burgess is the easiest (circle one). CBD in centre, older houses nearer cbd, rich people on outside, no heavy industry.

• Advertisement

haloauto wrote: »
    They could come up. I say have atleast a good understanding of one of them. The Concentric zone theory by Burgess is the easiest (circle one). CBD in centre, older houses nearer cbd, rich people on outside, no heavy industry.

Where in the question do they come up again, how much marks are they?

It only hit me now that having a subject like this on the same day as Maths is fcuking ridiculous. Maths/English should be on completely separate days. I don't care if the Leaving cert ends 2 or so days later!

Where in the question do they come up again, how much marks are they?
    In 07 it came up in Q12 part B worth 30 marks. It was an easy question though, had all the zones named for you and you only had to discuss relevence of one of the theories.

It's not that hard to get a B in Geography with a bit of waffle but if you want higher you need to know a lot of key terms (Cassa per il Mezzogiorno, NDP, Latafundia etc.) for every section to get an A......hence why Im aiming for B :p

haloauto wrote: »
    In 07 it came up in Q12 part B worth 30 marks. It was an easy question though, had all the zones named for you and you only had to discuss relevence of one of the theories.

Hmm ok :( I was looking there and at least this exam is good at the very least for the amount of choice involved ;(

I'm hoping an importance of culture in defining a continental region question comes up...... I can write loads on India for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

I am well and truely screwed for geography tomorrow.

I only know:

The three possible biome questions
    All of physical pretty well, including landforms etc.
    Cultural region and a region of industrial decline
    Sort of know the Mezzo and India
    As for the elective, I only know overpopulation...

God damn it.

3 biome questions?? Theres just 2 i thought: Characteristics and human impact

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

lads, ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Right this is what i know:
    Waterfall processes
    Primary act. in sub-continental (India)
    Sambre-meuse(Industrial decline)
    Core (paris basin)
    Migration
    Periphery (Nordkalotten)
    Characteristics of a biome

Last minute cram right now.. what do you think i should go over :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

Haha I'm so screwed for the elective and regional!!
    I've learned Dublin, the BMW, and Paris Primary sector.. that's it in regional.
    As for geoecology, I'm just learning human impact on biome, cause our teacher said it's almost guaranteed to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

HELP!!!

How do you do a question on overpopulation? I have a case study on Rajastan which talks about flooding but how is that a cause of overpopulation?

How are you supposed to get 15 SRPS in a question that says one cause and one effect? like how do you go about answering it. Would appreciate some help,

Thanks a mil

Advertisement