Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookie Cutter Shark?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

A guy I know was fishing off Lambay island (North County Dublin) and caught a tope. Attached to it was this strange fish. After my friend removed it he said there was a circular hole on the tope where the small fish (nearly ten inches long) had been attached. He also said it's mouth was like the suction cup found on an octopus. I've shown him pictures of a cookie cutter shark but he says that's not it. This fish looked more like an eel.

Does anyone know of any other fish that attach to larger creatures in such a way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If it was eel-like, then maybe a sea lamprey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lamprey

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Def sounds like a sea lamprey, they are just coming back to our rivers to spawn around now...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Could possibly be a Remora either but more likely to be a lamprey.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Alun wrote: »
    If it was eel-like, then maybe a sea lamprey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_lamprey

Wow never new these existed, nasty little things or what..... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Fredrick wrote: »

Bad enough to give you nightmares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fredrick wrote: »
    Yes, they're nasty looking things alright. Their freshwater cousins used to be considered something of a delicacy in England and parts of Europe in medieval times especially during Lent due to their meaty flesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey#Uses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Sounds like sea lamprey alright. Here's a pic of one I took last year on its way upstream to spawn. Great mottled coloration, blends in brilliantly with a gravelly riverbed.

2572577791_6d023b90cc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Thats an excellent shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks like a lamprey alright. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bye bye

gr8 picture zzippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Zzippy wrote: »
    Sounds like sea lamprey alright. Here's a pic of one I took last year on its way upstream to spawn. Great mottled coloration, blends in brilliantly with a gravelly riverbed.

2572577791_6d023b90cc.jpg

Where was that shot taken, "Zzippy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pic was taken at the Salmon Weir on the River Corrib in Galway, just upstream of the bridge at the cathedral. You can click on the photo to see it in flickr and click All Sizes to see it in a larger size.

Advertisement