Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed II

Options
  • 04-06-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else excited about this? As repetitive as the first one was, I absolutely loved it, and can't wait to get into the sequel, which from what I've seen and heard so far, seems to improve on every aspect of the first game!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

They still haven't listened by the looks of things. People want dynamic assassinations ie Hitman style rather then linear scripted events. Free roaming mechanic however is the best around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its gonna be great.

The assasins creed engine is one of modern gaming's finest achievements....Graphically its gorgeous, animimation is fluid, great draw distance.

It was just a pity the game itself was poor. Repetetive missions, needless exposition and one tone combat. All of this should be fixed for the sequel. All sorts of assasinations are gonna be added instead of standard chase and kill...and 30+ weapons.

My favourite part of the video was without a doubt the death from above scene where he climbs onto the chimney thing and drops about 20 feet onto the guy......that was something I would try so often in the original and it would rarely work....it looks like its a "proper" move in this one....which is good. The double kill, one with each hand blade, was also pretty snazzy.

I hope the A.I. is better in combat this time. When you are fighting 5 enemies at once, they SHOULD be gang banging you...attacking at once. I'm hoping for that this time so that there is a bigger deal about getting caught. In the original, you could just stand there and kill 30 guys easily...you never NEEDED to run and escape. Hoping that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats beautiful. As long as they have lots more variety, I'll be grabbing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's making the same mistakes as the previous game. The assassination looks very scripted. It looks like it gives you a massive interesting world to explore and no freedom again :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Glee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ugh! Still haven't finished the first one. I started it there a while ago with the intention of finally finishing it. My playthrough this time was much more enjoyable, for the first few hours, then the boredom set in. Finally it felt like I was hitting a wall and I could barely lift the controller. My mind was beginning to fall apart, the screen blurred...

Honestly, I can't remember a more upsetting game experience, at least not since I bought a launch copy of MOO3 and was met with an unfinished, muddle of ideas that could not even be called a game.

I refuse to get excited about AC2, the first one left such a bad taste in my mouth that I won't be fooled twice. Even more annoying than the game were the reviews it received, what were those guys smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Played the original and loved it even through all it's faults. I echo what others here say in that the assassinations still seem scripted when they really need to be dynamic with a number of different outcomes depending on how and where you kill you're target.

One thing I hated in the first one was that you could spend ages creeping around and kill you're target without being spotted and all hell would break loose. You soon learned to just walk in and start fighting til everyone was dead and then walk up and kill you're target

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'll be happy if it's the exact same game as long as they added the ability to skip the crappy future parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like the look of the new one. First one was half a great game (in terms of movement, setting and basic narrative) and half a dull game (repetition, awkward storytelling, swimming or lack thereof). But if this addresses some of these issues (which hopefully it will), it has great potential.

If there is one thing this series should be applauded for (apart from the joy of movement which really is fantastic once you get into the 'swing' of things) is its bravery in choosing outlandish and original settings. A game set during the Renaissance that actually incorporates the insane designs of Da Vinci? Now that is promising. In an industry where oh so many games just have dull, endless corridors something like this should be welcomed. That firework / masked festival just looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Never played original, should I? Heard alot of mixed reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Smegball wrote: »
    Never played original, should I? Heard alot of mixed reviews.

Whats your views on DRM?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Stev_o wrote: »
    Whats your views on DRM?
    Given the gamercard in the sig, I'd assume it'd probably be the 360 version, thus unaffected by DRM issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

having been to venice, it looks, from that video, that they've mapped it exactly like the actual city. Really looking forward to this. I loved the original, despite of all the criticism and thought the look and atmosphere was perfect as well as the various different finishing counter attacks.

Sure there wasn't a lot to do in between missions, but overall it was refreshing.

This looks like they haven't thrown out the manual but are sticking to what they know but changing the setting. The various different melee weapons will be an interesting addition. I'll also be interested to see how far they go in using Da Vincis ideas

L31mr0d wrote: »
    having been to venice, it looks, from that video, that they've mapped it exactly like the actual city. Really looking forward to this. I loved the original, despite of all the criticism and thought the look and atmosphere was perfect as well as the various different finishing counter attacks.

It does look pretty spot on, which is awesome! Wandering the little streets of Venice would seem perfect for this sort of game!

In the original, the different counter attack/kill moves are what kept me wanting to fight more guards, plus running up behind one and jumping on them with the wrist blade was always going to be one of the coolest moves in the history of gaming. Glad to see that not only is that still there, but it's been expanded with the high pounce kill, and the double wrist blade kills! :)

Changes I haven't seen yet but hope for:
    Viewpoints to be a hell of a lot more varied than in the first game.
    More really high points, like the huge church near the in AC1.
    More clever little moves like pulling the guy off the tower in the clip above.

[edit]

BLOOD! Where the hell has it gone? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i'm looking forward to the second one, i enjoyed the first one regardless of it's flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Niska

Play seem to have the exclusivity on the "Black limited Edition" version of Assassins Creed II. The figurine looks quite nice - after infamous and a few other's recently it's nice to see a proper collector's edition.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/10287856/Assassin-Creed-II-Black-Edition/Product.html

http://www.consolemonster.com/newspost.php?id=0000005502

10287856l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

i'm looking forward to the second one, i enjoyed the first one regardless of it's flaws.

haha thats video is great

Niska wrote: »
    Play seem to have the exclusivity on the "Black limited Edition" version of Assassins Creed II. The figurine looks quite nice - after infamous and a few other's recently it's nice to see a proper collector's edition.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/10287856/Assassin-Creed-II-Black-Edition/Product.html

http://www.consolemonster.com/newspost.php?id=0000005502

It's pricey, but I couldn't resist, and pre-ordered it last weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

It's pricey, but I couldn't resist, and pre-ordered it last weekend...

haha, i was going to be like you but i'm being sensible and saving for my world trip.

......... but for how long........

that figurine is too tempting!

Advertisement