Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lomo cameras

• 04-06-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I Need some advice!

I want to get a lomo LC-A Camera. I love the look of the photos, but i hate sitting on photoshop all day making my own photos look that good.

Anyone see them anywhere around ireland? Anywhere at all.

I'd rather touch and feel a camera than buy online, especially because they're older cameras.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i've been looking at all kinds of lomos for a while now online, have never heard of anywhere in ireland that sells 'em. i'm just surmising here but i'd say your best bet would be to keep an eye on e-bay, much much cheaper that the exorbitant prices on lomography.com where they can be up to €250 including a cable release, batteries and 2 rolls of lomo branded film :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

to be fair, lomos are only bought and sold online unless you went through, and were incredibly lucky to find one in the classifieds (adverts, gumtree, etc). The prices are somewhat ridiculous now though. I've had mine for about 10 years now and could probably sell it on ebay for twice the price i paid for it.
    I recently got a little tired of it and wanted something new, so i bought an olympus XA2, for 12 euros inc P&P. it even has a detachable flash, and the quality of the shots is better than the lomo for a tenth of the price

check the website for some more info. this camera has never had the hype surrounding the lomo, but has just as many fans. check out the XA groups on flickr for examples

http://diaxa.nfshost.com/xa/xastart.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

Wow thanks guys
    I think whether I get the lomo or not, i will definatly invest in the olympus.
    I had a look at flikr, they're fantastic.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

u can get LCA on ebay by many seller for around 160 ish i think, it used to be 100, to me novelty has worn off, few years ago they looked nice, the images looked retro'ish now every joe blogg on flickr as lomo esk pics and its just WHATEVERSSSSS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

i could be wrong, but is most of the 'lomo' look not actually down to cross processing the film?

yes, it vignettes a whole lot, but is there anything else all that special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

true but plastic lense also adds to the effect

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You can pick up a Diana+ in Urban Outfitters for 65 quid. It also has pinhole effect. I kinda agree that they can be well overused. Good in small doses though...but it's not a cheap and cheerful burst of fun.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

from reading that site... i get the impression he doesnt shoot much film...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Gunns have Holgas for 49 quid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

sineadw wrote: »
    Gunns have Holgas for 49 quid..

Was just about to say that.
    Also, I got a Diana original, boxed in its original packaging, in working order for under e30 incl. P&P on e-bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Mr Dave C

I had a lady in my Taxi and she told me that the National Art Gallery sell them, worth a call to the Gallery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The national gallery from what I remember sell those ludicrously overpriced LSI packages that you find in Urban Outfitters and that shop underneath the IFI in meeting house square. I'd steer clear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

going down the diane route, youd may aswell make a shoebox pinhole, i'm disapointed with mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i may be really late jumping in here, you've probably made your decision already! but i think that lomos are incredibly overpriced when you can get pretty much the same kind of unusal photography from the holga or diana instead, as other people on here have mentioned.

i got my holga from ebay (i think it came from japan) and it was relatively cheap. there is also a shop in templebar called turtlehead that sells them and all holga related materials. at least they used to last summer, i haven't been that way in quite a while! if you google turtlehead dublin you should find them.

anyway the basic thing i'm saying is that cross processing with a holga, or even just experimenting with different types of film is great fun and you get really great results. if you type hoga into flickr you'll see what i mean, there are a host of amazing photos on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i just bought a holga for €16 on ebay.

Advertisement