Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat - What oil?

• 04-06-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Went into Halfords yesterday and they were charing me € 60(looks like a 5 litre container) for oil for my 05 VW Passat Sport Diesel 2 litre, anyone one here know what oil is best to use
    or should I go with what Halfords recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

google your nearest motor factors. It will be a lot less than what halfords are charging.

your manual for the car will indicate what oil it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

If it's the new shape it needs to be the fully synthetic VW507 standard... that engine comes with the long life oil for the long service intervals.

Check the manual to be sure... it should give a VW 50X number for the oil.

I picked up a 5Ltr from a motor factors for about €50 where as the 1ltr. were €18 from a garage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Make sure the local motor factors give you the correct (0w30 Fully synthetic) oil. In my experience motor factors will try to pawn off any old semi synthetic gunk on you. My da uses castrol edge on his Audi 2L Tdi although there are better oils out there for the money if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ferris wrote: »
    Make sure the local motor factors give you the correct (0w30 Fully synthetic) oil. In my experience motor factors will try to pawn off any old semi synthetic gunk on you. My da uses castrol edge on his Audi 2L Tdi although there are better oils out there for the money if you ask me.

good point. gonna make a new thread for this.

Advertisement