Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Batt O'Keefe fire the invigilator?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Gonna throw this one out for the laugh?

Since it is currently the common perception that it is harder to win the Lotto than it is to get fired from the Public Service, I was just wondering will the Dept. Of Education make an example of this guy with a view to demonstrating to the taxpayer that their employees ARE accountable for their actions. Should he be fired?

(Cant see why the invigilators weren't forced to make provision to find printing facilities for tomorrow, then upload the paper to a password protected website (which could be issued at 8.30am tomorrow), and then printed out. Sure there might be a delay in some places, but it's just a photocopy after all.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Anyone can hack into a website or email no matter how protected it is.

He should not be fired. The poor man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No he shouldn't. If you fired everyone who made a mistake nobody would have a job. Everyone makes a serious mistake at one time or another - $hit happens.

O'Keefe should seriously question the SEC though. Why weren't the alternative papers under lock and key in local police stations so that the exam could go ahead as scheduled? That's the way it used to be done.

All those leaving certs whinging and moaning on Joe Duffy. Would they ever fuc.k up. Jaysus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fire him from invigilator duties only

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Macros42 wrote: »
    No he shouldn't. If you fired everyone who made a mistake nobody would have a job. Everyone makes a serious mistake at one time or another - $hit happens.

Agreed. Apart from that, it would be illegal under the Unfair Dismissals Act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I think he should.

Not for giving out the wrong paper, for the fact that he didn't report it to the department.

Department of education heard about it from a parent of a student in another school.

If the invigilator reported it immediately they could have had a new paper out in time for today.

The saturday exam is massively fuc*ing over people doing history early next week.

so yeah, fire him for not following procedure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dumb wrote: »
    Anyone can hack into a website or email no matter how protected it is.

Not true they could set up encrypted email between the sites if they were going that way, or a website using HTTPS using my suggestion. If you're point was true nobody would use e-commerce.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not true they could set up encrypted email between the sites if they were going that way, or a website using HTTPS using my suggestion. If you're point was true nobody would use e-commerce.

You can still break encryption. Technically.

eCommerce sites are broken into. There is no "fully secure" website really.

Sully wrote: »

Exactly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I think he should.

Not for giving out the wrong paper, for the fact that he didn't report it to the department.

Department of education heard about it from a parent of a student in another school.

If the invigilator reported it immediately they could have had a new paper out in time for today.

The saturday exam is massively fuc*ing over people doing history early next week.

so yeah, fire him for not following procedure

Too right man you think it would've been the very first thing you'd do after such a **** up but that's screwed me over for history

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sully wrote: »

You can be pendantic about it if you want. I'm sure the two of you use online banking and have bought stuff over the net.

Of course encryption can be broken, but there are measures that are put in place in proper systems that make it VERY difficult to do so. If would be far easier to try to rob, copy and reseal one of the containers of papers in the existing setup than to break the encryption key and get access to the paper (which like I said would only be uploaded the morning of the exam). I think that ye are all missing the point that no system is fully secure, whether distributed over computers or not. It's all a matter of balancing risk.

You can be pendantic about it if you want. I'm sure the two of you use online banking and have bought stuff over the net.

Of course encryption can be broken, but there are measures that are put in place in proper systems that make it VERY difficult to do so. If would be far easier to try to rob, copy and reseal one of the containers of papers in the existing setup than to break the encryption key and get access to the paper (which like I said would only be uploaded the morning of the exam). I think that ye are all missing the point that no system is fully secure, whether distributed over computers or not. It's all a matter of balancing risk.

I would never use online banking. If I was doing the LC and I had the opportunity to hack into that e-mail or that website I would do so.

On a seperate note is there a PDF file anywhere on the net of the paper? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I think he should.

IF this is not gross misconduct (not the act itself, but the non reporting of it)I'm not sure what it? So should (s)he be fired? IMHO yes, would this be a sackable offense in the private sector, of course, however we are probably talking about firing teacher here or some other similar civil servant.

As far as I know the only way a teacher can actually get fired in Ireland is if he or she actually physically has sex with, or actually kills someone during a disciplinary board meeting (okay, technically that last bit may not be 100% accurate...)

I also think the whole story is being blown out of proportion. It could be a lot worse. How?, I hear you say. Back in the day of priests sticking rulers and ping-pong balls up your hole. That was terrible. Nothing in comparrison.

Also I think there might be something else behind this. The supervisor may have been a Fine Gael, Labour or Sinn Fein supporter or some man who does not like the current government. He then subsequently went about opening the Paper 2 and Fuc.king up the whole thing.

Joan Burton (Labour) was on Vincent Browne and she began to blame the government only for Vincent to intervene. It was not the government's fault. It was that man. Simple as that.

Also why are these eejits on Joe Duffy, this website, bebo, facebook, twitter etc. Would they go and study for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭glanman

thats one of the best conspiracy storied ive ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

eigrod wrote: »
    Agreed. Apart from that, it would be illegal under the Unfair Dismissals Act.

How so??!
    thks

lala stone wrote: »
    How so??!
    thks

Because, believe it or not, he made a simple mistake.

I also think the whole story is being blown out of proportion. It could be a lot worse. How?, I hear you say. Back in the day of priests sticking rulers and ping-pong balls up your hole. That was terrible. Nothing in comparrison.

Also I think there might be something else behind this. The supervisor may have been a Fine Gael, Labour or Sinn Fein supporter or some man who does not like the current government. He then subsequently went about opening the Paper 2 and Fuc.king up the whole thing.

Joan Burton (Labour) was on Vincent Browne and she began to blame the government only for Vincent to intervene. It was not the government's fault. It was that man. Simple as that.

Also why are these eejits on Joe Duffy, this website, bebo, facebook, twitter etc. Would they go and study for Christ's sake.

Listen man its still fairly the biggest L.C fiasco that anyone can remember it completely throws everyone in the country off course as some people think they should study different topics now in case the material changes other people focusing on the topics which came up because they think they are sure to come up again so overall I think its fair to say its worth complaining about.

No, he didn't. If he reported it before 10am it would have been a simple mistake. That didn't happen and his subsequent covering up of his mistake meant was not in any way a "simple" mistake

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Listen man its still fairly the biggest L.C fiasco that anyone can remember it completely throws everyone in the country off course as some people think they should study different topics now in case the material changes other people focusing on the topics which came up because they think they are sure to come up again so overall I think its fair to say its worth complaining about.

Yes but worse things can and no doubt will happen in the lives of the children of this day.

• Advertisement

No, he didn't. If he reported it before 10am it would have been a simple mistake. That didn't happen and his subsequent covering up of his mistake meant was not in any way a "simple" mistake

It would make no difference whatsoever if he reported it. :rolleyes:

It would still be cancelled. Simple as that for a simple mistake. :cool:

Thank God Mr. Joe Duffy is over. All those whining little children may go about actually preparing instead of moaning, screaming, groaning and horning on about the Paper.

Yes but worse things can and no doubt will happen in the lives of the children of this day.

That's true and when their time comes to complain, let them, but now is our time and i'd like to say, lets go down to drogheda and do some serious ass forking.... :):D

You'll get there by about 7 tonight so...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

You can be pendantic about it if you want. .

Not to be pedantic, but.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the whole point is that YES people do make mistakes..... do I personally think the guy should loose his job over this mistake .... maybe not...but he should certainly be suspended (WITHOUT PAY) for a period of weeks as punishment.

I dont want this to turn into a civil/public service rant but if he's made accountable for his (non) actions then a message is sent to others that there are punishments for making mistakes (and people will be more conscious of making the wrong decision in future)

Personally I think politicians should be made accountable for their actions - ie. wasting 50Million on taxpayers money on E-Voting and still keeping your job is crazy, and IMO if someone chooses to go into a career in politics then why are they allowed pension/benefits of previous job - you either make a career change or you dont - and if you dont get elected, you fail as a politician so try another career.

You'll get there by about 7 tonight so...

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Not if you're one of the ones counting on getting high points and can afford neither fuck up or distraction, no....I'm not one for a lynch mob, but by failing to report it, he made a major, major error. Thats what he's/she's going to get slapped for, not handing out the wrong paper as such.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    the whole point is that YES people do make mistakes..... do I personally think the guy should loose his job over this mistake .... maybe not...but he should certainly be suspended (WITHOUT PAY) for a period of weeks as punishment.

I dont want this to turn into a civil/public service rant but if he's made accountable for his (non) actions then a message is sent to others that there are punishments for making mistakes (and people will be more conscious of making the wrong decision in future)

Personally I think politicians should be made accountable for their actions - ie. wasting 50Million on taxpayers money on E-Voting and still keeping your job is crazy, and IMO if someone chooses to go into a career in politics then why are they allowed pension/benefits of previous job - you either make a career change or you dont - and if you dont get elected, you fail as a politician so try another career.

You're right man, they get paid surreal amounts of money for what... Sitting in a room of quiet students ...occasionally they have to stand to open the door so the tea and biscuits and arrive, gan pá!

• Advertisement

It would make no difference whatsoever if he reported it. :rolleyes:

It would still be cancelled. Simple as that for a simple mistake. :cool:

Of course it would. If he'd reported it by 10am they could have had the contingency paper ready for today.

Advertisement