Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Batt O'Keefe fire the invigilator?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Gonna throw this one out for the laugh?

Since it is currently the common perception that it is harder to win the Lotto than it is to get fired from the Public Service
    I though it was easier to win the lotto than to get fired from a public Job.
    If you do, do wrong, they suspend you first with full pay for many years and when they do get around to fire you because they are still protesters protesting against you, they will give you a big lotto win at tax payers expense. Look at the many Doctors over the years who got caught in scandals and that paedophile Judge in Tralee who got paid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

Dumb wrote: »
    Yes. You cannot be aware of the lives of others.

According to user Anne Marie!! seen in my previous bolded statement of this user

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

According to user Anne Marie!! seen in my previous bolded statement of this user

Emm, i have no idea why you're quoting me. Whats according to me?

From a leaving certs point of view, no, i dont think he should be sacked. I feel sorry for him. His first mistake was simple human error...nothing can be said against that. However, his more serious mistake was not immediately informing the SEC. This had worse implications than the 1st mistake, as it lead to re-scheduling instead of just changing the paper.

And yes, we are aware that the leaving cert is not the end of the world, however this thought is in the back of our minds until after these few weeks. At the moment, they ARE the be all and end all for most of us. Sitting down and completing the exam is THE most important thing that we have going on right now. Its easy to say they're not the end of the world, but not when you're actually doing them.

See bold writing. You are unaware of what's going on in other people's lives. Don't presume everyone think's it's that important.

See bold writing. You are unaware of what's going on in other people's lives. Don't presume everyone think's it's that important.

Theres no way that i would expect anyone who isnt doing the leaving cert this year to care about the exams. I didnt last year and I wont next year. This year, however, it is the single most important thing to me at the moment, as it is for countless others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

You are all arguing about the Leaving Certificate being more important than death and that the man behind the mistake should be sacked. I am giving the background and how Minister O'Keeffe dealt with the situation. He dealt with it in the best manner possible given the pressure he was under.

Nobody argued that the Leaving Certificate is more important than death.

NOT ONCE in this thread does anyone say that.

The invigilator should surely be suspended from duties, if not for his error then for his compounding of that error and trying to cover up the mistake he'd made, and costing the state one million euro.

In any one of the companies I've worked for I would have had security standing over me while I cleared out my desk if I'd lost them a million euro (heck they would have done it for a lot less). But this is the public sector, he'll probably get sent home with a nice bonus for undue stress he suffered due to all the media attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Theres no way that i would expect anyone who isnt doing the leaving cert this year to care about the exams. I didnt last year and I wont next year. This year, however, it is the single most important thing to me at the moment, as it is for countless others.

Yes it is Anne Marie. I hope your English paper went well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Countless others: foundation math beckons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Apparently the person responsible was a retired teacher so he can't be sacked. So what next? Will there be people calling for his pension to be taken away? :rolleyes:

IMHO, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Yes the man made a bad mistake and didn't handle it very well. I'm sure he feels a lot better now that the Sun published his details.

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Countless others: foundation math beckons.

In fact, honours maths beckons. "countless others" is a phrase afaik
    lighthouse wrote: »
    Yes it is Anne Marie. I hope your English paper went well today.

Thank you, it was ok :)

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    Apparently the person responsible was a retired teacher so he can't be sacked. So what next? Will there be people calling for his pension to be taken away? :rolleyes:

IMHO, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Yes the man made a bad mistake and didn't handle it very well. I'm sure he feels a lot better now that the Sun published his details.

I agree. Minister O'Keeffe had to act in the best manner possible for Students and country. He was in meeting and had to attend a function at Dublin Castle for the Lord Mayor of Dublin. His colleague O'Dee was in Trim that day and could not help the situation. The man should not be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Heard on the radio today that the invigilator in question was a male who was over the age of 60. Marian was trying to make the point that it may be because he was from the "older generation" that he may not be aware of the significance of a person seeing the paper for even a second (i.e. cos of the modern technnology available now to transmit the 'tips').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

limklad wrote: »
    I though it was easier to win the lotto than to get fired from a public Job.

Ye my bad, that was a typo, but you know what I was getting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭francish

Workers in the public service should never be sacked. Instead he should get an extra payment for the stress he is going through, after all it's not is fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I also think the whole story is being blown out of proportion. It could be a lot worse. How?, I hear you say. Back in the day of priests sticking rulers and ping-pong balls up your hole. That was terrible. Nothing in comparrison.

Also I think there might be something else behind this. The supervisor may have been a Fine Gael, Labour or Sinn Fein supporter or some man who does not like the current government. He then subsequently went about opening the Paper 2 and Fuc.king up the whole thing.

Joan Burton (Labour) was on Vincent Browne and she began to blame the government only for Vincent to intervene. It was not the government's fault. It was that man. Simple as that.

Also why are these eejits on Joe Duffy, this website, bebo, facebook, twitter etc. Would they go and study for Christ's sake.

Well DumbDumb, what an elightened post... Secret Fine Gael plot eh.. students who get screwed over through no mistake of theirs are eekits, or is because they give a sh1te about their education why you believe they are eejits? Should they not be entitled to voice their disgust through their chosen medium by using up a few minutes of their study time? Have you nothing better to do yourself than come on here and post utter garbage?

What on earth previous decades of child abuse has got to do with this is beyond me..

Advertisement