Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology HL/OL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Download the podcasts and listen whenever, that's what I do
    yep it does help when the tell us what there looking for!!!

examinations.ie

They're called "marking schemes" you may have heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Ant tips for ordinary Biology?I need to do some serious cramming today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cheesy-does-it

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Ant tips for ordinary Biology?I need to do some serious cramming today!!!
    same as meslelf man... someone said

Respiration
    Enzymes
    Photosnth
    Human Production (sexy time)
    Ecology
    Pollution
    Sense
    Human Excretion (****'in)

Basically the full course...:rolleyes: Gonna go on the net for a bit tho... Study the externel female reproductive organs...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Gonna go on the net for a bit tho... Study the externel female reproductive organs...:D
    Classy.
    Probably been said before the osmosis experiment is heavily tipped, it always comes up in some shape or form but never as a full question.

Classy.
    Probably been said before the osmosis experiment is heavily tipped, it always comes up in some shape or form but never as a full question.

Ordinary Level aswell yea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Im gonna look over photosynthesis and repiration aswell as genetics and evolution.

Then as much as I can cover after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Doctor Dee

Does anyone know what to study for this exam? I'm absolutely genuinely completely and utterly F*CKED =[

Any hints at all at all given by your teachers?? :)

Ok, I have seen a few lists on here and elsewhere. With these, and having looked over the section C's since 2004, here are my predictions for section C:

Human Reproduction
    Ecology
    Photosynthesis/Respiration
    Circulation
    The Nervous System
    Immune System
    Plant Transport
    Cell Structure/Cell Cycle
    DNA Structure/Variation and Evolution

I would bet serious money on this list.

We'll see tomorrow.

Experiments (3 or more of the following):
    Dicot Stem
    Heart Dissection
    Osmosis
    Leaf Yeasts
    Enzyme Experiments.

Doctor Dee wrote: »
    Ok, I have seen a few lists on here and elsewhere. With these, and having looked over the section C's since 2004, here are my predictions for section C:

Human Reproduction
    Ecology
    Photosynthesis/Respiration
    Circulation
    The Nervous System
    Immune System
    Plant Transport
    Cell Structure/Cell Cycle
    DNA Structure/Variation and Evolution

I would bet serious money on this list.

We'll see tomorrow.

Experiments (3 or more of the following):
    Dicot Stem
    Heart Dissection
    Osmosis
    Leaf Yeasts
    Enzyme Experiments.

Shouldve added: Proteins Synthesis!

What about the Nitrogen Cycle guys? Nitrification, de-nitrification all that stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Claypigeon wrote: »
    What about the Nitrogen Cycle guys? Nitrification, de-nitrification all that stuff?

That goes under the heading of ecology

• Advertisement

ANYBODY HAVE ORDINARY LEVEL TIPS??? :mad:

That goes under the heading of ecology

Alright, what else do I need to cover within that heading since it's probably my worst, didn't write up my report or anything

Alright, what else do I need to cover within that heading since it's probably my worst, didn't write up my report or anything

Trophic Levels, Pyramids, Carbon Cycle, Symbiosis, Adaptation, Competition, Population Dynamics, Predator-prey relationships, Conservation, Pollution, Waste Management.

Field Ecology: Estimating Population in an area, % frequency, % cover, capture-recapture, measuring abiotic factors, examples of adaptations and competition from your habitat study.

Thats pretty much it, I think, did I miss anything?

Doctor Dee wrote: »
    Trophic Levels, Pyramids, Carbon Cycle, Symbiosis, Adaptation, Competition, Population Dynamics, Predator-prey relationships, Conservation, Pollution, Waste Management.

Field Ecology: Estimating Population in an area, % frequency, % cover, capture-recapture, measuring abiotic factors, examples of adaptations and competition from your habitat study.

Thats pretty much it, I think, did I miss anything?

Cheers, % freq/cover is using the little grid or a grid within a quadrat to estimate and get an average of % of squares filled with whatever?

Any particular bits of use from a seashore study? My revision book is useless, goes on about a hedgerow as if we weren't allowed leave the confines of the school or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Download the podcasts and listen whenever, that's what I do

examinations.ie

They're called "marking schemes" you may have heard of them.

indeed i have but i was refering to the questions on the paper and as far as i know you dont get a marking scheme with those!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Lads, Just missed Countdown to 306, Can some one tell me what the predictions were? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

siobhan08 wrote: »
    What time does this countdwn to 360 b on at on 2fm?
    Anyone listen to the show and know what they advised to study? Unfortunately I'm in work and can't download podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

genetics,ecology,enzymes,human reproduction,microbiology,photosyntesis,respiration,food.
    thought it was pretty crap advice seen as everybody knows those things are always on it. he didnt say anything about the heart but its highly tipped to come up by a lot of teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 xprincessashx

Yeah seriously, he just said the things that come up every year that every one knows.
    Like no sh*t sherlock.
    Not very happy with them considerin the history guy got it very wrong...they are NOT psychic...just lucky sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

What colour is starch agar and nutrient agar anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JamzerM

thanks for all the predictions....seriously the predictions on this have gotten me through my leaving so far..and now if i jst do well in ag science and pass biology i should easily get my course....thanks to everyone again:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

i've a feeling tomorrow will not be for the bull****ters. i'll be praying everything i know comes up and the dodgy stuff ****s off.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

hi lads and lassies, just studying heart stuff does anyone know

is it enough to be able to label the heart???
    i cant draw it!!!!!
    would we ever be asked 2 draw or would they nly ask to label it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

I am totally ****ed for biology!!
    I would take pass but I know I need honors for the points:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

could any one tell me the optimin ph and tempeture for catalase enzyme... in the ph9 was markd rite but i tink its 7?? and tempeture i tought was 25 but it was markd wrong and 37 was rite??

naasface wrote: »
    hi lads and lassies, just studying heart stuff does anyone know

is it enough to be able to label the heart???
    i cant draw it!!!!!
    would we ever be asked 2 draw or would they nly ask to label it??

you do need to know how to draw it but i don't think it will be this year. could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

could any one tell me the optimin ph and tempeture for catalase enzyme... in the ph9 was markd rite but i tink its 7?? and tempeture i tought was 25 but it was markd wrong and 37 was rite??

I thought it was 9 and 25

its 9
    25 is right too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

im so gona fail pass biology:(

• Advertisement

smndly wrote: »
    What colour is starch agar and nutrient agar anyone?

I don't think you need to know; the agar is kind of a bland color naturally as far as I know and then (I'm guessing you're doing the Yeast expt) the yeasts manifest as pinkish patches/blobs within the agar after a while!

Advertisement