Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast Connection, Slow Browsing?

Options
  • 04-06-2009 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help me

I recently switched to UPCs 10mb broadband connection. I was previously on 2mb from Irish Broadband delivered from an antenna on my roof. I assumed this UPC connection would be multiple times faster but I'm finding it's actually really slow even though I'm getting a 9mb connection according to multiple speed test sites. I even have to wait while Google loads whereas on the Irish Broadband connection it would be instant, and also I notice that even when a page does load there are pictures and things that havnt or dont
    :(

Anyone able to venture a guess as to why this is happening ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Just wondering if anyone can help me

I recently switched to UPCs 10mb broadband connection. I was previously on 2mb from Irish Broadband delivered from an antenna on my roof. I assumed this UPC connection would be multiple times faster but I'm finding it's actually really slow even though I'm getting a 9mb connection according to multiple speed test sites. I even have to wait while Google loads whereas on the Irish Broadband connection it would be instant, and also I notice that even when a page does load there are pictures and things that havnt or dont
    :(

Anyone able to venture a guess as to why this is happening ?

Thanks
    Internet Explorer :P Download Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Make sure DHCP enabled etc....you may still be using IBB DNS etc etc.... will probably be something simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Im using Safari, its generally as fast as Mozilla, and I have DHCP enabled. I think you're on the right track though because when I connect straight to the modem I get the same results on speed test websites but pages load much faster. Maybe it's something to do with the router? And I wouldn't say it's just the loss from going wireless because when I was with Irish Broadband it was the same speed wireless and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think I fixed it! After I realised that it was got to do with the router I had a look at common wireless problems and apparently a cordless phone can interfere if it's on the same channel, I switched to channel 1 and there's a very noticable difference.

Thanks again! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Yeah 802.11x channels are very crowded in some areas - maybe get the router to auto select channels.

Suggest getting a good MIMO router if you are in an area of high interference (do loads of networks show up on your wireless set up screen?) - which, ironically will make the overall problem worse, which will mean your neighbours will do the same, which ironically will make the problem worse....and so the cycle continues! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement