Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband & hot weather

Options
  • 04-06-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Up to a few months ago my line (1MB) was synching at almost full 1024kps speed. Recently my speeds have been droping to what I now have 416kps giving speeds of 488417275.png.
    My question is can the extreme temps effect the ability of the line to carry ASDL?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

To answer your question, yes hot weather can effect overhead copper lines, the hotter the copper gets the more resistance increases. As for your problem it could be anything from; traffic, problem with your line etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I doubt its anything to do with the weather.
    Run a few ping commands and traceroutes to servers such as www.boards.ie etc and post them back here.

Start, Run, Type "cmd", tracert www.google.ie
    tracert www.boards.ie

Reason i say this is there may be huge congestion/contention on one of your local servers, usually excess pings can show this

Also you should try to download some files from different servers and compare the speeds, speedtest isnt exactly reliable.

Finally post back your line stats, you can get these by entering http://192.168.1.254 into your web browser, clicking expert mode and then statisitcs / DSL.

Your looking for SNR stats and line attenuation stats

Best of luck

Edit: Your on BT? You still be able to access your router with 192.168.1.254 , if that doesnt work try 192.168.1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Hot weather will definitely affect wireless connections though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

It can cause interference.

Happened to me earlier.

Oh, my ISP have locked me out of my CPE :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

If you're on wireless and connected to a mast, then it's possible that the growth in the trees around the area might be effecting the signal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Chorus have told me at various times that after a heavy downpour the waxed paper (?) that the old copper lines are wrapped in, hold in moisture, causing loss of internet connectivity. I always wondered why I lost my b/band during/after very heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Now that things have stabilised-weather wise-to day my synch speed is 800Kbps giving the following-
    493533442.png
    PS: these are my line stats from BT voyager 2110 router
    Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:05:41:00
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 800 Kbps 128 Kbps
    Noise Margin 5.9 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 31.5 dB
    Output Power 3.3 dBm 15.8 dBm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Max001 wrote: »
    Chorus have told me at various times that after a heavy downpour the waxed paper (?) that the old copper lines are wrapped in, hold in moisture, causing loss of internet connectivity. I always wondered why I lost my b/band during/after very heavy rain.

Monkstown or Montenotti ??

Machinehead , disconnect everything in the house from the line.

Plug modem straight in , no filter , give us those stats again ( they are cack especially the 63db one )

Advertisement