Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitting CD player?

• 04-06-2009 3:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Fitting a car stereo
    I just got a cd player for my car,was wondering where i could get it hooked up without being ripped off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Do it yourself its a piece of piss (on the most part: What car is it BTW?):

All you need is removal keys (motor factors / eBay) and possibly a factory to ISO loom (I got mine on eBay for €6) and a fascia adapter (eBay/Halfords/Motor Factors). .....eBay is the handiest for all the parts I found!

Guide to fitting the radio: http://fitaudio.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do it yourself its a piece of piss (on the most part: What car is it BTW?):

All you need is removal keys (motor factors / eBay) and possibly a factory to ISO loom (I got mine on eBay for €6) and a fascia adapter (eBay/Halfords/Motor Factors). .....eBay is the handiest for all the parts I found!

Guide to fitting the radio: http://fitaudio.com/

Its a lancer GLX..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Deffinitely do it yourself. Look for a fascia and iso adapter on ebay. Takes about 10-20 minutes to do.

Degsy wrote: »
    Its a lancer GLX..

What year is the lancer..any pics of the existing headunit.

If its got 1 hole on the top and 1 on the bottom each side you can bend coar cangers into a U shape and pull it out. The hardest part I found is actually removing the old stereo.

Seriously I never fitted a stereo before and done my own in 30 minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Any idea what adaptor I would need for 03 Passat? I'm thinking of putting a Lidl car stereo into it.

If anybody fancies the job i'll give them 30 quid.
    I'm in dublin btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

If anybody fancies the job i'll give them 30 quid.
    I'm in dublin btw.
    whereabouts in dublin?

Yeah something like that it depends..some cars have ISO leads from the factory others dont what year is your car? As for the fascia adapter not always needed only in cars that have big gapping holes from factory fitted stereos

ronanc15 wrote: »
    whereabouts in dublin?

i'm in finglas but will drive!

• Advertisement

i'm in finglas but will drive!

do it yourself and get the self satisfaction that you done the job yourself. If your a disaster at DIY then forget about it stick to your genral ledger :pac: Otherwise its a piece of piss.

seriously I've fitted car kits, radios and other 12v accessories and I've never touched a car before 3 years ago.

do it yourself and get the self satisfaction that you done the job yourself. If your a disaster at DIY then forget about it stick to your genral ledger :pac: Otherwise its a piece of piss.

seriously I've fitted car kits, radios and other 12v accessories and I've never touched a car before 3 years ago.

So.
    Step by step...
    Pull out the old one?i need aspecial key or something??

So.
    Step by step...

Yes:

Not sure what year your car is but as Ive said before it maybe just the cut the coat hanger into a U (x2) and pull the radio out if you upload a pic of your head unit people will be able to tell you what keys you need.

Unhook the loom and attach ISO loom to factory loom

connect to Radio

SIMPLE AS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

So.
    Step by step...

Hey, here's what I done...

* OPEN TO CORRECTION FROM EXPERTS

( actually I didn't disconnect the battery and after 60 mins of messing about I drained it... learn from my mistake :o )

1. Disconnect the battery. Negative (-) terminal first, then postive (+) terminal. Don't let them touch the metal bits of your car or each other !

2. Remove old radio.
    You may or may not have to remove some interior trim/plastic surround to get at it. There is probably a couple of screws holding the radio in, remove those and save them

3. Pull the radio out gently. Disconnect the wires.
    Hopefully it's an ISO connection ( typical in most cars ) and fits directly into the back of your new radio.
    You may have an extra wire if you have an automatic aerial that goes up/down when you switch on the radio.

4. Plugging the new radio in should be easy. If the wires don't look like they fit then you may need a Lancia to ISO adapter. Probably no more than a tenner in eBay or halfords I imagine.

5. Before screwing the new radio in you could reconnect the battery,
    positive (+) terminal first, then negative (-). ie. the reverse disconnecting in step 1. Just to give the radio a quick test.

6. If everything looks okay, secure the radio into position (if it had screws) and put back the interior trim.

cheers,
    CD

Right..i managed it.
    Pulled the old one out(it didnt need any fancy keys or anything).
    Had to buy an adaptor from halfords which joined teh two boxes together and all in all it took about ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Hardest part I found about replacing stereos if getting the bloody thing back in again to my Octavia due the wires at the back. There's not a whole lot of room behind the stereo so you need little girly hands to try tuck them down so you can slip the in to its locking position. Never disconencted the battery as if you're just switching them using ISO connectors there's no need, little chance of touchng wires off each others and causing a short.

Advertisement