Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Issue - help!

Options
  • 04-06-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi All,

After 3 years, my broadband connection to BT suddenly stopped working almost 2 weeks ago. I logged a call with BT and have been in an infinite loop ever since - BT referring the call to Eircom, who reject it on the basis that they claim the line to the house is fine, and that the problem must be inside the house.

I have tested three modems, all with the same result and we had an electrician visit this morning, who can't find a problem with the wiring - the only issue he found was noise on the line as the modem connected (on 2 different modems). I am going to bring my modem to a relatives house tonight to test it. This is Netopia modem.

The call has been sent back to Eircom, who will certainly reject it again.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get this fixed?

Thanks.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

radiofoot wrote: »
    Hi All,

After 3 years, my broadband connection to BT suddenly stopped working almost 2 weeks ago. I logged a call with BT and have been in an infinite loop ever since - BT referring the call to Eircom, who reject it on the basis that they claim the line to the house is fine, and that the problem must be inside the house.

I have tested three modems, all with the same result and we had an electrician visit this morning, who can't find a problem with the wiring - the only issue he found was noise on the line as the modem connected (on 2 different modems). I am going to bring my modem to a relatives house tonight to test it. This is Netopia modem.

The call has been sent back to Eircom, who will certainly reject it again.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get this fixed?

Thanks.....
    Noise on the line when the modem is connected (2 of them)?

Have you replaced all the filters in your house with new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

cpu-dude wrote: »

No, but we have disconnected all phones etc. and tried connecting the modem to the entry point at the front door with the same result. Does this eliminate the filters as a potential issue?

cpu-dude wrote: »

Just checked the modem in another house and it works perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

radiofoot wrote: »
    Just checked the modem in another house and it works perfectly.

The Modem does'nt work in your house but works in a friends house and BT say they can see no problem outside? To me it points back to your house.

I would suggest you get a telecoms engineer out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Vanbis wrote: »
    The Modem does'nt work in your house but works in a friends house and BT say they can see no problem outside? To me it points back to your house. I would suggest you a telecoms engineer out and not a Electrician.

Make sure it's not your computer/laptop either mate that could be a reason why it worked in your mates house.

Is the DSL & Internet light illuminated on the modem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Try checking your connection or internal wiring using the following link

http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Helped me a great deal.

This is what the Eircom "Engineer" and electricians are supposed to follow!

Good luck

jayflame wrote: »
    Try checking your connection or internal wiring using the following link

http://www.reci.ie/Portals/0/RECIDocuments/technicalinfo/eircominterface.pdf

Helped me a great deal.

This is what the Eircom "Engineer" and electricians are supposed to follow!

Good luck

Thanks for the advice.

BT finally sent an engineer out today and he has confirmed that the problem is not in the house, but with the line coming into the house - excessive noise. I just hope they can persuade Eircom to look at it now.

Advertisement