Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais deposit - what to do!

Options
  • 04-06-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Bord Gais want me to pay €200 deposit for being a renter because I've never had gas before. I have not got the money for this.

What kills me is - they are putting a major advertising push on 'switching' to Bord Gais coz they're great (apparently) - and then when a customer does switch they get screwed because of this deposit.

I have never not paid a bill, loan, credit card etc. But I genuinely have not got the spare cash flow to pay this extra. I am not unemployed but you know yourself - I'm barely scraping by and everything I spend is scrutinised closely.

I also don't have anyone to act as my guarantor. I rang their credit control dept and asked them to give me some advice or help and they just said it was policy.

I have been with ESB previously with no hassle and am really annoyed that I have to pay this deposit which I won't get back for a year, and which was never mentioned on the 'big switch' ads.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Kimia wrote: »

Any advice?

It is standard policy. Is that €200 and paying by direct debit or is that the total deposit? I remember it used to be €200 with DD nad €400 without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Yea that's it. You sound exactly like the person who I was talking to on the phone. I was never informed about this 'policy' when I signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

ESB actually do exactly the same. You can get it back after 8 months. Consider it a way to save €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sounds fair to me to be honest. Im sure they have been stung by renters in the past doing a runner. Think of it as a low interest savings account!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Kimia wrote: »
    Yea that's it. You sound exactly like the person who I was talking to on the phone. I was never informed about this 'policy' when I signed up.

Thanks. Either was I when I had to do it. No information but it is on the website as far as I can recall.

It's not called a security deposit for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I checked out the Big Switch with the same intentions - having been an ESB customer for over 10 years now - only to find this deposit clause.

Now in fairness, I can understand why they apply it. But I think that they could do a little more to promote it in their advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

You have 2 choices. Either sign up to DD and pay €200 deposit or if you don't sign up to DD, its €400.

I beleive if you have had a gas bill in your name in other rented accomodation within the last 3 years, they may be able to waive this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Get your landlord to pay it or move out. Surely heat and hot water are basic services you are entitled to. I don't know if they are part of your rental agreement but I suspect that if you cannot be provided with those you can probably leave.......and landlords can't be picky at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Get your landlord to pay it or move out. Surely heat and hot water are basic services you are entitled to. I don't know if they are part of your rental agreement but I suspect that if you cannot be provided with those you can probably leave.......and landlords can't be picky at the moment.

BG is entitled to cover its arse be looking for a deposit, especially with rented accom as its common for people to move on without paying....its the same reason why ESB also looks for a deposit now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

twenty8 wrote: »
    ESB actually do exactly the same. You can get it back after 8 months. Consider it a way to save €200.

Its actually after 14 months- it comes off your next bill after you have been a customer for 1 year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

If you're trying to sign-up for BG electricity - then go for Airtricity... they don't charge a deposit, and make is easier to budget month-to-month as they debit your bank a/c an equal amount every month.

If, on the otherhand, you're signing up for actual gas from BG... then I'm afraid you're screwed! Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

The landlord is providing the facilities for heat & electricity, but is the tenants responsibility to pay for it. The LL is not responsible for Bord Gais & ESB's T&C's.

Advertisement