Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

superintendents

• 04-06-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi

I've been invigilating the leaving and junior cert exams for at least the last ten years, often from the reserve panel. I have corrected so couldn't do it before that.

My question is 'why did I not get it this year?'. I never had any problems with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It goes on years of teaching service, basically, by agreement with the teacher unions. Previous service as a superintendent is not taken into account, AFAIK. So, this year there were evidently more applicants with more years of teaching service than you.

If you think this is an unfair way of appointing people, get on to ASTI or TUI about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

must say i gave up as i was never getting it yet others who were just into teaching were getting it which annoyed me so don't bother applying anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Judging by this year's fiasco - perhaps you were too competent for the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

appointing people based on years service is ridiculous. given the number un or partly employed teachers, it is unfair that these jobs are given to those higher up the scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lindamaria

Exactly, its mad appointing people based on years of service... i.e. teachers who are more than likely permanent and pensionable... Its unfair to part time teachers, it was on today's independent that the superntendent that gave out the wrong English papers wednesday is retired two years and in his mid sixties. Why not give it to a part time teacher who cannot get full hours as opposed to a retired teacher...
    It is the teachers unions that came up with how superintendant posts are allocated - based on years of service for the majority of people and they allow a small percentage of posts to be given to substitute or unemployed teachers which is good but its only a very small percentage of the total no. of posts given out and its a lottery to get. Why not give the other posts to other teachers such as part time teachers or teachers who are on contract but not on full hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Sorry, I should have been more comprehensive in my earlier post. I should have said that there is an arrangement, I think, that qualified but unemployed teachers are considered first, and thereafter it's on teaching service. I'm not sure how exactly "unemployed" is defined, and what the story is with people who only have PT hours, etc.

I remember the discussion in union circles around the time these arrangements was being sought by the unions and agreed with the Department, but I can't remember the nitty-gritty.

qualified but unemployed or substitute teachers are considered yes but only for a limited number of places. The majority of places available are based on years of service i.e. for people with a lot of teaching experience.

by substitute teachers I mean teachers who are not employed on a yearly contract i.e. teachers subbing for teachers on sick leave or maternity leave or ad hoc subbing with no contract. These teachers are considered for the limited number of places available for unemployed or substitute teachers. I do not think part time teachers on contract are considered for the limited no. of positions panel. They have to compete with teachers who have years of service including retired teachers for a position.

It's the same with on call substitute work, retired teachers can be called in to do this and get paid for it instead of a substitute teacher who is also competing for substitute work. I won't go into the whole age thing as there are many teachers in their 30's and even 40's who are on temporary contracts or are substitute teachers, perhaps due to doing the h. dip after working in the private sector - thus bringing real life experience into the classroom or moving area. It also takes years to obtain a permanent position in any case.

Retired teachers shouldn't be allowed take a pension from the state.... and... compete with teachers who are not receiving a pension, part time, substitute teachers etc, for positions such as on call substitute work and supervising the state exams. This is unfair to people seeking work.

If they're retired fair enough, if they have their years of service done or if they retired early. Teaching is pretty intense. Nothing to stop them looking for work in other areas such as admin or advisary positions or something totally different etc as they would have a wealth of experience, but if they are retired from teaching they are retired from teaching and hence should not be allowed to compete for positions that other teachers are looking for such as superintendant for the exams or on call substiute work...

• Advertisement
Advertisement