Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic Micra not starting

• 04-06-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

I've got a 2002 automatic Micra which won't start. Not a battery problem as far as I can tell (lights don't dim if turned on when attempting a start).
    I try to start it, the engine fires and seems to catch but as soon as I let go of the key it dies.

Have tried
    • Basic ignition - failed
    • Ignition with foot fully depressed on accelerator - failed
    • ignition with a bit of power - failed

I haven't flooded the engine, the 'foot fully depressed' idea is from the owners manual which it recommends if the car is failing to start in hot weather. Last few days in Dublin have been hot so I tried that, no luck.

When I hold the key in the 'on' position and rev it, it does sound like it's ready to go, soon as I let the key go though it just drops off and dies.

It's stuck in the driveway at the moment.

anyone got any ideas? I've got the Haynes manual for the car and have followed their checks but still have no luck. The only thing I've not tried is looking at / cleaning the plugs. The car only has about 50K on the clock so i dunno, might not be it but might be as well.

Any helpful suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Not meaning to sound obvious but have you checked that theres petrol in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Not meaning to sound obvious but have you checked that theres petrol in it?

If we're checking obvious stuff, I assume it's not in D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Stekelly wrote: »
    If we're checking obvious stuff, I assume it's not in D?

No problem questioning the obvious stuff, it's got a good 3/4 of a tank (of petrol!) and is in P when attempting these starts.

Keep any suggestions coming though, welcome all feed back as long as it's helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

check the car manual, is there a mention of automatic petrol stop in case of the accident,

for some reason that might be activated and therefore no petrol goes to the engine,

also battery connections should be checked, is the ground cable (minus,black one) properly connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

is there a flashing light with a pic of a car with a key inside it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 IDCI

If you're sure the spark-plugs are firing (could pull one out and get someone to look when you turn on ignition) the next thing I'd check is the inlet fuel pressure.
    Pull the inlet line out of the throttle body and hold it over a jar/container and see if fuel squirts out when you try and start the car (if not could be the fuel pump or line pressure sensor).
    Finally, if it's neither of those, you could try manually bypassing the fuel injector by spraying a small amount of fuel into the inlet (from a bottle with a pierced cap or something) and seeing if it fires then.
    If all of those are fine then there's something more complicated going wrong (generally fuel + spark = running), like possibly your ECU or your ignition switch unit??

BTW I'm not a mechanic.

Also, if you wind up not being able to get it fixed, disconnect the battery and/or see if you can get it recharged somewhere. Having the car not running for a while + attmpted restarts will really wear down a battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sounds like 1 of 2 things to me:

1. Immobiliser - trying locking and unlocking with key fob a few times before starting. If it still fails, look at your dash to see if security light is coming on when starting.

2. Gear stick position sensore - try cycling the gear stick thru P,R,D etc a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

try starting it in N. or try using a different key.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    try starting it in N. or try using a different key.

This struck me as interesting so just tried with a different key (after cycling up and down through gears to make sure it knew it was in park). No joy, same problem.

Tried starting in neutral, nothing. Very annoying. It has had this problem to a lesser extent before, fails to start a couple of times but generally if i leave it for about 15 mins it's ok then. Not this time though.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Sounds like 1 of 2 things to me:

1. Immobiliser - trying locking and unlocking with key fob a few times before starting. If it still fails, look at your dash to see if security light is coming on when starting.

2. Gear stick position sensore - try cycling the gear stick thru P,R,D etc a few times.

There's nothing out of the ordinary with the starting, it all sounds perfect, you'd swear that it had started properly. Just as soon as I let go of the key it dies again. The immobiliser, not sure but when it's 'immobilising' how does that work? Does it allow ignition but then kill the car? I am pretty sure it's not the immobiliser.

Last thing to check are the plugs, although I've no idea what I'm checking for!

• Advertisement

Is the car a Nissan March Japanese import, or and Irish spec Nissan Micra?

The gearbox can be ruled out if the starter motor is turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I had a problem like this with a micra before. Take out the fuse for the fuel pump and turn the engine over for a couple of minutes, then put the fuse back in and it might start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

chabsey wrote: »
    There's nothing out of the ordinary with the starting, it all sounds perfect, you'd swear that it had started properly. Just as soon as I let go of the key it dies again. The immobiliser, not sure but when it's 'immobilising' how does that work? Does it allow ignition but then kill the car? I am pretty sure it's not the immobiliser.

Last thing to check are the plugs, although I've no idea what I'm checking for!
    hi, How many keys on your key ring? is it just the car keys or a big bunch?

I think 2qk4u's suggestion is worth looking at, the car MAY be flooded

beachlife wrote: »
    hi, How many keys on your key ring? is it just the car keys or a big bunch?

Just the one key.

I tried the fuel pump fuse thing, took it out, turned the car over a few times then popped it back in, no joy.

Also, weird thing has just started happening, when I use the key to remote unlock it unlocks then relocks right away. Happens as well when I tried the key in the door, unlocks then locks again. Had to try a few times to get in, bizarre!

I think 2qk4u's suggestion is worth looking at, the car MAY be flooded

Aye, tried it but no go. Did use that trick a few times on other Micra (95) that had a similar-ish problem with starting after it had been moved only a small distance. That used to work on the older car but have never had that issue with the newer model.

Battery is starting to sound a little strained now, not surprising as I've tried the car so many times with no result. Damn annoying though.

does the car have an aftermarket alarm? or even a factory fitted alarm. again, is it a Japanese import or an Irish model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Just the one key.

I tried the fuel pump fuse thing, took it out, turned the car over a few times then popped it back in, no joy.

Also, weird thing has just started happening, when I use the key to remote unlock it unlocks then relocks right away. Happens as well when I tried the key in the door, unlocks then locks again. Had to try a few times to get in, bizarre!

that' sounds like the immobilizer to me. i would open and close all the doors. lock car,unlock car ,disconnect battery .leave for 5mins reconnect battery. shut bonnet ,lock car,wait a few secounds,unlock and then try starting.

beachlife wrote: »
    that' sounds like the immobilizer to me. i would open and close all the doors. lock car,unlock car ,disconnect battery .leave for 5mins reconnect battery. shut bonnet ,lock car,wait a few secounds,unlock and then try starting.

Ha! Sounds like the car equivalent of the computer 'turn if off and turn it back on again'! Will give it a go though cheers.

does the car have an aftermarket alarm? or even a factory fitted alarm. again, is it a Japanese import or an Irish model?

Sorry, no alarm just an immobiliser, it's an Irish car.

• Advertisement

cool. is the security light on the car flashing unusually? same as normal?

When you turn the key just to get red lights on do you hear the fuel pump prime ? should be a small kind of a buzzing noise... did you notice any lack or power or spluttering when you last drove it ?

cool. is the security light on the car flashing unusually? same as normal?

seems normal...would it flash obviously faster or something? Doesn't seem out of sync or anything.

2qk4u wrote: »
    When you turn the key just to get red lights on do you hear the fuel pump prime ? should be a small kind of a buzzing noise... did you notice any lack or power or spluttering when you last drove it ?

Can't say I've noticed the fuel pump. Put it this way, I turn key the car seems to fire up normally, engine fires and all seems fine. I let go of key and engine dies.

Now that i think of it, maybe there's normally a buzzing that isn't there at the moment. Gah! Can't tell.

Presuming the worst here but...Assuming i *don't* hear that buzzing...does that mean new fuel pump?

Can't say I've noticed the fuel pump. Put it this way, I turn key the car seems to fire up normally, engine fires and all seems fine. I let go of key and engine dies.

Now that i think of it, maybe there's normally a buzzing that isn't there at the moment. Gah! Can't tell.

Might be the fuel pump. It could be getting enough fuel to ignite but not pumping enough to run the engine.

Advertisement