Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psyche-Trance

• 04-06-2009 4:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the Life Festival discussion, i thought this warranted its own thread. So, what do you think of Psyche-Trance?

I was forced to listen to it all weekend cause the group of nackers camped next to me at Life played it 24/7 resulting in zero sleep - no one in my group could see any appeal to it. Maybe they were just playing really bad psyche trance, but it all seemed the same to me and there was little interesting variation.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Any examples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I wouldnt have said it was really for scumbags at all. Its always been a crusty thing. Not much time for it myself. Better than commercial Trance but not by much. That said ive never actually been to a Psy Trance night or set myself. I know a few heads who would be into it but was never tempted to join them.

Is psyche trance the same as psy trance?

Wouldn't really listen to it driving along in the car. And it sure doesn't suit clubs either. But have been to psy trance nights in the middle of nowhere in South Kerry and West Cork with hundreds of bohemian types and ordinary people (and no "nackers" in sight) and they are a blast. Great feel good vibe, even with most of them out of their minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

folks who were at the Life fest 2 years ago may remember the Sunday night headliners OOOD. Now that imo would be top notch psytrance ... as in pushing all the right psytrance buttons but still doing something new:

I'd reckon them to be probably the best out there. Beyond that, it's become a pretty stagnant genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

wouldn't be my favourite by any stretch of the imagination but, as someone said, it's better than commercial trance. there was quite a good psy trance spot in the woods at electric picnic last year....good vibe, loads of people, everyone dancing.
    it's very hypnotic so if you're just sitting in your tent chilling and/ or trying to sleep and it's coming from ****ty boom box it's going to sound samey/ monotonous.
    but you could, and many do, say that about many dance music genres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

I enjoy it from time to time. Alot of music classed as Psy-Trance is pretty different.
    You get your bangin psy from the likes of Infected Mushroom and 1200 Micrograms which I don't really go near.
    Best of it I reckon is the ambient/dub side of it. Anything producer Simon Posford puts his hands to i tend to Love. e.g. Shpongle, Younger Brother, OTT.

In summary, Shpongle is great psytrance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Sorry but I find it tedious in the extreme

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I enjoy what I always knew as goa trance in small doses or included in a set of trance and techno... the blend of techno, trance and goa can work very well together... or certainly did, way back - I can't speak for psy trance of today as I don't know any of the tunes.

Although I don't normally have time for Paul Oakenfold, I loved this mix years ago and its a good example of early goa trance.

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Oakenfold-A-Voyage-Into-Trance/release/12454

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Here is some decent psytrance. I could listen to stuff like this all night. :D
    There really is a lot of fantastic stuff out there.

The psymaster himself

A little cheesy, but great fun

Psybient/dub

Darkpsy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

francois wrote: »
    Sorry but I find it tedious in the extreme

I'm actually a little surprised at this mate as i recall you playing some Goa type stuff in the Waterfront back in the day and Psy Trance is really just another name for Goa.

I find a lot of it similar to Acid Techno in many ways,i was never a huge fan but the last year or so i found myself listening to more and more of it and personally i find some of it brilliant,unlike certain elements in the Techno scene who are geekish to the extreme Psy Trance isnt at all and is an underground scene and always has been and that is to be admired.

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    ....and Psy Trance is really just another name for Goa.
    That was impression of it to, and the examples given so far kinda confirm it.

fuse wrote: »
    I enjoy it from time to time. Alot of music classed as Psy-Trance is pretty different.
    You get your bangin psy from the likes of Infected Mushroom and 1200 Micrograms which I don't really go near.
    Best of it I reckon is the ambient/dub side of it. Anything producer Simon Posford puts his hands to i tend to Love. e.g. Shpongle, Younger Brother, OTT.

Yeah love the dubby side to it, that Blumenkraft album by OTT is excellent, perfect with a spliff! As is the remix album 'in Dub' by Halluciongen, remixed by OTT, love them both and must buy some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭fuse

Yeah that's what I'm talkin bout! The new OTT album Skylon is deadly too.
    Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity is my favourite of all his stuff, really love that album. It's more Prog (as in Pink Floyd prog) than PsyTrance I reckon tho.

Yeah that's what I'm talkin bout! The new OTT album Skylon is deadly too.
    Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity is my favourite of all his stuff, really love that album. It's more Prog (as in Pink Floyd prog) than PsyTrance I reckon tho.

Yeah read some recommendations about the Younger Brother album too, must pick that up. Been a while since I listened to the others also so must dig them out for a spin. I always loved LSD by Hallucinogen back in the mid 90's so was interested in more recent years to see where Simon Posford had moved on to and discovered the OTT remix first of the Hallucinogen stuff and then the Blumenkraft album.

Yeah I wouldn't class them as psy or goa as such, maybe a close relative though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

If you like OTT,shpongle and the more chilled out psybient stuff then check out the album
    solar fields - movements

Its pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Meh, always struck me as both music for crusties and skangers.

I know it's a strange combination but a lot of the scobies start mellowing out in their twenties (read 'start taking more hallucinogens than stimulants') and they get into psytrance.

Seems very cheesy and New-agey to me, but some people love all that, so each to their own, horses for courses, etc.

Seems to be the music of choice for culchie hippies. Well it was that way when I was in college.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Meh, always struck me as both music for crusties and skangers.

I like the contempt.

Don't worry, down these parts we know everyone in Dublin still wears 3 year old Celtic tops and loves Scooter and the Blackout Crew.

Have any of them managed to grow a thick moustache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

Havent listened to it in years never really liked it,but having said that there was some good releases on Dragonfly records and flying rhino.

Went to the trance buddha night club in amsterdam and have to admit i did enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I like the contempt.

Don't worry, down these parts we know everyone in Dublin still wears 3 year old Celtic tops and loves Scooter and the Blackout Crew.

Have any of them managed to grow a thick moustache?

sorry you'll have to speak up, I'm listening to Aslan :p

jtsuited wrote: »
    sorry you'll have to speak up, I'm listening to Aslan :p

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

In summary, Shpongle is great psytrance!

I'll agree with you 100% on Shpongle and the whole Posford oeuvre...

5% of ANY genre is always worth a listen - even if you don't rate it you'll still always learn SOMETHING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The top 5% of ANY genre is always worth a listen - even if you don't rate it you'll still always learn SOMETHING

Fixed.

In the Spirit of the exam season...

"Psytrance is to Trance/Acid as Happy Hardcore is to Minimal." Discuss.

jimi_t wrote: »
    Fixed.

In the Spirit of the exam season...

"Psytrance is to Trance/Acid as Happy Hardcore is to Minimal." Discuss.
    Yeah but who defines what the "top 5%" is of any given genre. Surely it's subjective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah but who defines what the "top 5%" is of any given genre. Surely it's subjective?

Well to some extent, but you'd be suprised by the amount of acquiesceal within a given time frame. The top 5% usually rises to the top - the industry reviewers tend to get it right a good bit imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

gsparx wrote: »
    wouldn't be my favourite by any stretch of the imagination but, as someone said, it's better than commercial trance. there was quite a good psy trance spot in the woods at electric picnic last year....good vibe, loads of people, everyone dancing.

Not too sure but i think that might have been Evolution, a psytrance promotion group. Good guys who put on great nights, headed by the guy who heads Life.

I quite like Psytrance, though obviously i see good psytrance and bad psytrance, and "good" as a descriptive is purely a matter of taste when used as a descriptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

jonny68 wrote: »
    I'm actually a little surprised at this mate as i recall you playing some Goa type stuff in the Waterfront back in the day and Psy Trance is really just another name for Goa.

I was young and under the influence of a lot of drugs :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's no excuse! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gotta love honesty....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

weren't we all :pac::D:D:D

ahh those were the days :):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Dragan wrote: »
    Not too sure but i think that might have been Evolution, a psytrance promotion group. Good guys who put on great nights, headed by the guy who heads Life.

I quite like Psytrance, though obviously i see good psytrance and bad psytrance, and "good" as a descriptive is purely a matter of taste when used as a descriptive.

Hi Dragan. Cheers for the mention but it was actually Neutronyx/Life festival crew who did the party in the woods at EP. I did manage to play there though (shameless plug 1). Like any music it has its excellent and it has its bad. Ultimately it depends on your personal taste. I can't stand Infected Mushroom but the party they played at in the Tivoli last year was excellent.
    (shameless plug 2) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60591362#post60591362

Advertisement