Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great singer, bit of a plum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Ryan Adams, unbelivable voice and great musician, but man he is just so full of cr@p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

What's wrong with Brian Molko? I thought he was absolutely lovely on both Gonzo and the Graham Norton Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

His sexual confusion act is beyond tiresome at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

ND 1978 wrote: »
    Thom Yorke (sorry).

Don't apologise. From personal experience I can confirm that Thom Yorke, is not a nice man and i do not like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Dudess wrote: »
    I absolutely adore Joy Division, but I believe Curtis was not a nice fella at all.

Love Joy Division too, read Touching From A Distance by Deborah Curtis (Ian Curtis' wife) a while back, a very clear-eyed and moving account of young love going horribly wrong, he was a troubled person rather than a nasty person. Your welcome to borrow the book Dudess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Bob Dylan.

I love him to bits but he is an absolute bastard to interview. Tricky little cryptic arrogant cúnt who dodges all questions and generally makes an absolute arse of whatever poor sod has the business of getting any information out of him.

Still, that's kind of one of the reasons I like him. Some of his interviews are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Love Joy Division too, read Touching From A Distance by Deborah Curtis (Ian Curtis' wife) a while back, a very clear-eyed and moving account of young love going horribly wrong, he was a troubled person rather than a nasty person. Your welcome to borrow the book Dudess. :)
    I think Ian Curtis was a poetic genius but, troubled or not, he cheated on his wife and in my book cheaters are among the lowest of the low. I was surprised at how, despite this, Deborah managed to give such a seemingly unbiased insight into Ian's personality. Defo recommend the book.

Far be it from me to pass judgment on people I don't know personally, but when cheating comes into it I automatically lose respect.

Don't apologise. From personal experience I can confirm that Thom Yorke, is not a nice man and i do not like him.

Not surprised. He blanked Ronan Keating as well, which is pretty much unforgivable in my book.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0923/keatingr.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Care to share?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cOfiZjxTd8

For my money, a lot of them just get over indulged about how deep they are and interesting they are. In Morrisseys case, for example, he's been deified so it's hard for him not to act pompous. I think it's his way of living up ot expectations when he is shy and about the art.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Arcade Fire?

The Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne (the nicest guy in music, imho) shared his thoughts on members of Arcade Fire "They're pricks, so fcuk 'em"

"I'm a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness ... We've played some shows with them and they really treat people like ****. Whenever I've been around them, I've found that they not only treated their crew like ****, they treated the audience like ****. They treated everybody in their vicinity like ****. I thought, 'Who do they think they are?' I don't know why people put up with it. I wouldn't put up with it. I don't care if it's Arcade Fire or Brian Eno. If either of them walked into a room and treated people like **** I'd be like, '**** you, get outta here.'
    ... People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it. Those sort of opinions change my view of their music. They have good tunes, but they're pricks, so **** 'em. Who does Arcade Fire think they are? I've been around groups. I've been around the Edge from U2 and he's the ****ing sweetest guy ever. I was around Justin Timberlake when he was young and he was just a normal, nice, kind person. Anyone can be polite and kind and people who have the privilege and money and attention should understand that. If they don't, then **** 'em."

He later sort of apologized, but I reckon there's no smoke without fire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Wayne Coyne has apologised to that, basically saying he was out of his element saying it. Win Butler had retaliated saying they have barely been around each other long enough for Wayne to come up with such a conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

James from Glasvegas - grand voice but he's a bit of a pleb.

Can we do an opposite poll of singers that are a bit sh*t but who turned out to be surprisingly nice people? :)

Y'know - to cheer us all up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Can we do an opposite poll of singers that are a bit sh*t but who turned out to be surprisingly nice people? :)

Y'know - to cheer us all up!
    That's not as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

+1 on Billy Corgan and Lou Reed.
    I'd throw in Courtney Love too.

tbh , i think that courtney love gives one of the most entertaining interviews possible, and her interviewing ability far outstrips her musicality, which is dubious at best .. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

To think of it, most of my favourite musicians and singers are also ones I like the most. So there is a correlation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

James Dean Bradfield has to be the most affable, un-asuming, down to earth, soundest frontmn ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Prince and Bob Dylan were mentioned - but are these two not pre-absolved all sins because of their incredible contributions to their art?

Prince is very arrogant, yes, and I'm still bitter about his cancellation in Croke Park, but he's also arguably the most talented musician working in popular music today. So I choose to ignore his plumness :p

Michael Stipe, really? I always thought he was really cool. Could anyone link me to some outstanding interviews?

Same for Thom Yorke, actually. I know he had a really tough time dealing with being famous around the OK Computer tours, but I thought he was over that? The interviews I read portrayed him in a good light. Sure, the eco-warrior stuff can grate, but he's not over-playing his arguments like Bono or Chris Martin or someone.

James Dean Bradfield has to be the most affable, un-asuming, down to earth, soundest frontmn ever :)

+1

Onstage in the olympia last week, he was so...normal. Congratulated Ireland on recent grand slam, and it felt like your mate down the pub saying it! I know there is an argument for retaining the 'mystique' of the frontman, and keeping a distance from the fans; Its just not him though, and I love the manics all the more for it.

I have HUGE respect for that guy, other pretentious individuals that don't have half his talent or back catalogue could learn a thing or two...

ND 1978 wrote: »
    +1

Onstage in the olympia last week, he was so...normal. Congratulated Ireland on recent grand slam, and it felt like your mate down the pub saying it! I know there is an argument for retaining the 'mystique' of the frontman, and keeping a distance from the fans; Its just not him though, and I love the manics all the more for it.

I have HUGE respect for that guy, other pretentious individuals that don't have half his talent or back catalogue could learn a thing or two...

Yup, you could see yourself sitting down in yer local and having a couple of pints with him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Thank God you finished that sentence , I was about to be enraged :eek::D

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    Thank God you finished that sentence , I was about to be enraged :eek::D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

tbh , i think that courtney love gives one of the most entertaining interviews possible, and her interviewing ability far outstrips her musicality, which is dubious at best .. :)

Totally agree. I saw her on Jonathan Ross and thought she was incredibly interesting.

Who said Brett Anderson? He was sound anytime I met him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

monellia wrote: »
    I think Ian Curtis was a poetic genius but, troubled or not, he cheated on his wife and in my book cheaters are among the lowest of the low. I was surprised at how, despite this, Deborah managed to give such a seemingly unbiased insight into Ian's personality. Defo recommend the book.

Far be it from me to pass judgment on people I don't know personally, but when cheating comes into it I automatically lose respect.

If you read Torn Apart:The life of Ian Curtis by Tony Wilsons ex-wife you actually can read Annick Honore side of the story. I think that Deborahs book is v.biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Pity that Nicky Wire is such an asshole then.
    Can we do an opposite poll of singers that are a bit sh*t but who turned out to be surprisingly nice people?
    Once you get past the poshness and the awful music, James Blunt seems like a nice guy. Saw him on Top Gear and some chat show, and he was really funny. He doesn't mind people taking the piss out of him.

KT Tunstall also seems like a really cool person. Personally, I like some of her music and do I think she has a great voice, but I know loads of people can't stand her.

Pity that Nicky Wire is such an asshole then.

Once you get past the poshness and the awful music, James Blunt seems like a nice guy. Saw him on Top Gear and some chat show, and he was really funny. He doesn't mind people taking the piss out of him.

KT Tunstall also seems like a really cool person. Personally, I like some of her music and do I think she has a great voice, but I know loads of people can't stand her.

Wire's funny, he's got a self-depricating sense of humour, although he is an acquired taste :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

You're right, wishing Michael Stipe death by aids is an acquired taste...

Driver 8 wrote: »
    You're right, wishing Michael Stipe death by aids is an acquired taste...

He was only a naive kid when he said that and has since apologised - Him and Stipe get on fine now.

Ant if we're talking about arseholes, we've got a winner in Stipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Made up or not, I don't see anything "naive" about his comment, it's typical of the stupid posturing comments he makes to this day.

Having met both Buck and Stipe, I can attest to them both being gentlemen.

• Advertisement

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Made up or not, I don't see anything "naive" about his comment, it's typical of the stupid posturing comments he makes to this day.

Having met both Buck and Stipe, I can attest to them both being gentlemen.

And having met Wire 2 or 3 times, he's was top notch on every occasion

Advertisement