Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great singer, bit of a plum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Van Morrison could easily be the biggest wanker in Irish music, miles ahead of Bono, Geldof etc.... different breed of tosser entirely, leader in the victor meldrew league of old obnoxious rock stars.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Driver 8 wrote: »

Having met both Buck and Stipe, I can attest to them both being gentlemen.

I can back this up too. Nice guys all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Bono can sing really well. I don't care for U2 much but he can. As for him as a person, well he just seems nauseating and insincere. I'm not surprised he's a pal of Blairs. I just wish they'd leave the Africa thing alone. It's like demogogery, charity turned into egotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Coyne didn't so much apologise as correct himself - his beef was with Arcade Fire's management type people, who are kind of known to be arseholes, rather than with the band themselves, who aren't. Or, at the very least, they were really damn nice to me. I can imagine them keeping to themselves backstage, but in my experience, they've always been an especially gracious and friendly bunch of guys and girls, and they've done some really cool things more than once for friends of mine.

They're Canadian for God's sake, how rude can they possibly be?

God knows Coyne's got a mouth on him. I'm fond of him and all, but I think less of him every time he goes on one of his "I'm-nicer-than-Band-X" rants. I don't think it does his own nice-guy reputation any good. Thought Butler's response was pretty diplomatic, considering.

Re: the topic, I don't think you'll ever really top Billy Corgan in terms of Lead Singer Knobbery. And Emily Haines, though she has a fantastic voice, is a bit of a bint by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

And Emily Haines, though she has a fantastic voice, is a bit of a bint by all accounts.

Do tell please...

• Advertisement

She's terrifically moody, and she's been known to turn up for a few of her solo gigs trashed. When she plays she's brilliant, but in the meantime she's rambling and clearly chemically distracted, which is apparently par for the course. There's video of it on Youtube somewhere and it's kind of horrifying to watch.

I'd love to see it if you have a link.

I'll have a root around for it later on, it was a while ago now and I can't remember which show it was from. One of the smaller local shows she played for Soft Skeleton though.

Legend has it she took a swing at an audience member who was yelling sh*t at her once too, but I can't say how true that is. Nor can I say I'd blame her.

Could this be it?

I'd expect worse.

lol, no I think it was older than that.

Although, that's kind of awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

Billy Corgan. I fervently dislike that man. Love some of his music but I think the world would be slightly better off without him standing on it. And the sacrifice would be pure joy. Anyone see the ad he did for TNA? If you like a good cringe check it out.

What do ye think of mark Lanegan? I'm a huge fan and he seems pretty cool but I dunno, sometimes he seems a little too into his own image. or maybe he's just like that, I dunno. That reminds me, Josh Homme seems like a bit of a twat.

Josh Homme seems like a cool guy. I like how he's a big tough guy that has big beef with bullies and has no problem beating the crap out of his best friend for turning into one (Nik Olivieri).

Just watched that Billy Corgan advert - Never listening to a Pumpkins tune again:) Embarrassing. I can't believe people who say they were the better band than Nirvana and should have had all their glory. Corgan is the epitomy of the American Douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VegetativeState

I know, it's foul isn't it? I can't listen to bullet with butterfly wings anymore without thinking of that.
    As well as ruining one of the coolest songs ever he's also responsible for a truly stomach-turning christmas song and a hideous version of Dylan's Forever Young, which is a pretty ass song to begin with. Not to mention all that "music first" bull**** he's involved with. He has to be the worst asshole goin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Badly Drawn Boy as anyone who saw his Carlow show a couple of years ago could attest to.

Quite like his music though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Glassheart wrote: »
    Maynard Keenan.What a knob!
    yeah, a complete tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

cashback wrote: »
    Badly Drawn Boy as anyone who saw his Carlow show a couple of years ago could attest to.

Quite like his music though.

What happened there then? Maybe he was just pissed off because he was in Carlow! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Here's some examples:

Michael Stipe - brilliant with R.E.M., but have you heard an interview with him? Arrogant and dull!
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Stipe hates talking about music and has admitted that if he finds the interviewer boring and asking routine questions he gets frustrated. I was talking to some of the staff in gruel on dame st where he ate nearly everyday when REM did the 5 night stint in the olympia. They said he was always pleasant, friendly, polite and kept to himself. Which is what i expected him to be like. Top bloke in my opinion and he'd be welcome round my house for tea... any day of the week.

Met him briefly, he was lovely :D

3450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Don't think anyone has mentioned Damien rice yet! Pretentious plum. Loved his first album but having read interviews with him i was thrilled his second album was absolute rubbish and can now b found in most bargain bins.

It's probably quite possible for somebody to come across as an arsehole just because they don't like the media aspect of what they do.

Also that picture of Michael Stipe and Molberts is awesome. :D

Crystal Castles - by literally every account - are quite wanky. This doesn't surprise me in the least. One of those bands where it kind of suits the music perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd imagine a lot of the time when word spreads that a singer is a wanker though, it's down to them telling an annoying, egotistical, narcissistic music journalist to fuk off...

What's funny is you can't be nice to everyone, someone along the line will piss you off or catch you off guard and you're gonna look like a wanker for it. When famous, the one person who thinks you're a wanker will spread the word far more than the many people who think you're sound.

I remember Mark Greaney of JJ72 giving out about Michael Stipe (who has been praised above - never met him & would like to think he's as great as people say) saying that he walked up to him in a club/gig in Dublin during height of JJ72s fame and said he was a big fan and loved his music. The reaction from Stipe cause him to throw away all his REM records and bitch about him in the press.

PS - Nice pic Molberts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

I never want to meet any of my heroes - they usually turn out to be c*nts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Pighead wrote: »
    IanCurtis was also an idiot.
    Affable wrote: »
    I love Joy Division. I thought he was a pretty unassuming guy actually.

One wonders how either of you would know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Amy Winehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IxM

Billy Corgan
    Bob Dylan
    Just irritating to watch in interviews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I'm surprised that everybody isn't just saying Bono and Geldof? :confused:
    Then again "I" never really thought either of them were that great singers!

I'm surprised also that there are no mentions of Axl Rose and David Lee Roth? Probably two of the best singers of all time and both total twats! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

This has veered into the realm of music in general rather than Alternative & Indie, hence my moving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

What's funny is you can't be nice to everyone, someone along the line will piss you off or catch you off guard and you're gonna look like a wanker for it. When famous, the one person who thinks you're a wanker will spread the word far more than the many people who think you're sound.

I remember Mark Greaney of JJ72 giving out about Michael Stipe (who has been praised above - never met him & would like to think he's as great as people say) saying that he walked up to him in a club/gig in Dublin during height of JJ72s fame and said he was a big fan and loved his music. The reaction from Stipe cause him to throw away all his REM records and bitch about him in the press.

PS - Nice pic Molberts.

I remember reading that interview with Mark Greaney and to be honest, it ended up making me think that Greaney was a bit of an eejit. So Stipe may have been rude to him but the the reaction seemed incredibly immature and disproportionate.

• Advertisement

I'd have considered it fairly on-topic to Alt/Indie up until about a few posts ago?
    I'm surprised that everybody isn't just saying Bono and Geldof?

Reckon the two of them probably go without saying. ;)

Advertisement