Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've ordered Kumho KU31's

• 04-06-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Sick to the back teeth of the ride in my M-Sport so I am ditching the RunFlats in an effort to saving myself a fortune selling up for something that doesn't shake my teeth out and make the missus sick on every journey.

I have ordered a set of the above as I have read some good reviews about them.
    Anyone here any opinions ?

Longevity is not an issue, sticky (wet/dry), quiet, and comfortable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Will be doing the same myself tomorrow, from reading a bit online most people reckon they're a viable alternative to Falken FK452's or even Toyo T1R's.

Will have to do a few hundred K's and find out ourselves though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i had them on my Lancer Evolution and they were perfect, no complaints at all.

i ditched the RFT's on my E90 recently and the difference is great, just make sure to pack a wheelbrace, a jack and a spacesaver to get you home just incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would do the same, those runflats are a joke really especially when you consider price and the idea of possibly having to fork out for a new one because of a normal puncture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I had Kumho Ecsta's (I know its probably a completely different tread pattern, etc) and no matter what I did, the car they were on always pulled to the left.
    I replaced them with another brand, and hey presto, problem solved.

Im afraid it put me off Kumhos for life. Just my tuppenceworth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had Ecstas on the Sporting 10 years ago, and will never buy Kumho's again as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

kceire wrote: »
    i had them on my Lancer Evolution and they were perfect, no complaints at all.

i ditched the RFT's on my E90 recently and the difference is great, just make sure to pack a wheelbrace, a jack and a spacesaver to get you home just incase.
    Going to use gunk and a compressor.
    mickdw wrote: »
    I would do the same, those runflats are a joke really especially when you consider price and the idea of possibly having to fork out for a new one because of a normal puncture.
    Have a slow puncture in one anyway - not spending the money replacing the useless pieces of ****e.
    bazz26 wrote: »

Sandyford tyre centre - 225/45/17 - €95 fitted - 255/40/17 - €110 beats almost any internet price bar tyre-bay but only saving €20
    would rather support the locals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I've got some Kumho Ecsta KU31's on my car..also sourced from camskill last year. Excellent tyre for the money. Decent wet performance, and not too soft a compound to worry about premature wear.
    A little noisy on motorway, but nothing to scream about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Going to use gunk and a compressor.

Have a slow puncture in one anyway - not spending the money replacing the useless pieces of ****e.

Sandyford tyre centre - 225/45/17 - €95 fitted - 255/40/17 - €110 beats almost any internet price bar tyre-bay but only saving €20
    would rather support the locals

thats a good price ,cause you still need to get the other tyres fitted and balanced and the old tyres disposed off.That's got to cost 15/20 euro each anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I had Kumho Esta SPT KU31 on my Ibiza and found them perfect and would defintly purchase again.

Although that car didnt really have much to offer in the way of performance, but even still going into corners or under braking etc. i found the Kumho's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This is an interesting article. Those tyres are placed 11 out of 16.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/213186/tyre_guide.html#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I have a 03 Audi Allroad and always went for Continentals which are close to €200 each. I would get 20k miles out of them.

Heard good things about the Kumhos so went for the KH11's at €90 each. I have to say that I'm very pleased. The ride is good and there is no noticable difference in grip from the Continentals. However, the quattro 4WD may be a factor in not noticing a difference in grip.

Definitely a good tyre for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

JHMEG wrote: »
    This is an interesting article. Those tyres are placed 11 out of 16.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/213186/tyre_guide.html#

Interesting that the P7 is at the bottom of the list and most would consider this to be a premium tyre. They are when it comes to price.

Well given the shocking ride of the Bridgestone RunFlats and the poor wet weather grip - these things can only be better to be fair.
    I have always been a big fan of the Eagle F1's but I for the price and given the ( until now ) almost universal praise for them I am sure they are worth a punt.

Thanks for the info guys
    Will keep ye updated.

Just as an update I have done about 50 miles on them so far.
    The ride quality improvement is a revelation and the road noise has been halved.
    not done any serious driving yet so no comments on handling ( although I already suspect steering feel may have suffered )

moral of the story -

1 - believe the multitude of reviews I have read : the ride is too harsh with RFT
    2 - don't be so hung over when going to test drive a car that your dumb enough to stick to smooth roads and think everything is fine.

still its my 35th car and still one of the most disappointing - but the tyre change has made things better -

Advertisement