Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording piano on pro tools

Options
  • 04-06-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

:eek:

i recently discovered that when i record a piano track theres a wee bit of a wobble in some of the notes and when i use the elastic time tool it just make the piano sound crazy,,,anyone else have this problem with recording piano....
    and also when im recording single long held notes one after the other and then usethe elastic time to put em on the correct mark it makes it sound crazy still,,,,,the timing isnt too off, like not even half a second so dont understand it,
    if anyone has a solution or has experienced the same let me know please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

gerky7518 wrote: »
    :eek:

i recently discovered that when i record a piano track theres a wee bit of a wobble in some of the notes and when i use the elastic time tool it just make the piano sound crazy,,,anyone else have this problem with recording piano....
    and also when im recording single long held notes one after the other and then usethe elastic time to put em on the correct mark it makes it sound crazy still,,,,,the timing isnt too off, like not even half a second so dont understand it,
    if anyone has a solution or has experienced the same let me know please.

If you recorded a piano into protools and then when you played it back there was a wobble that wasn't there originally it suggests a sample rate/ clocking issue somewhere.

However if this only becomes relevant when you use Elastic Time I would suggest that you should use the Polyphonic algorithm for piano . Also by hi-lighting the Elastic time field in the Edit Window you can alter the parameters for each EA algorithm. You should also check where all your analysis markers are and either delete unwanted or use Elastic Properties/event sensitivity to
    reduce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Is the moudulation wheel on the piano turned down?

or>

Go to the playback settings in Pro tools at the top of the screen and make sure you playback engine is set to 128 or 256

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerky7518

woodsdenis wrote: »
    If you recorded a piano into protools and then when you played it back there was a wobble that wasn't there originally it suggests a sample rate/ clocking issue somewhere.

However if this only becomes relevant when you use Elastic Time I would suggest that you should use the Polyphonic algorithm for piano . Also by hi-lighting the Elastic time field in the Edit Window you can alter the parameters for each EA algorithm. You should also check where all your analysis markers are and either delete unwanted or use Elastic Properties/event sensitivity to
    reduce them.

ya i messes around with the polyphonic algorithm and turned the window counter window thing all way up which got the best result but still altered it.

the sound is there in the original recording without doing anything to it,,,i found out its manly due to pedal on the piano (roland rp 101)

but its just really frustrating trying to use elastic time,,,,

like putting single notes in time is harder than long complicated things,,,,it de tunes the notes down and up.

have no idea what thats about,,,
    iv tried all the algorithms even rhytmitic,,,but turning polyphonic all the way was the best i could get

its a really strange thing,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭woodsdenis

ya i messes around with the polyphonic algorithm and turned the window counter window thing all way up which got the best result but still altered it.

the sound is there in the original recording without doing anything to it,,,i found out its manly due to pedal on the piano (roland rp 101)

but its just really frustrating trying to use elastic time,,,,

like putting single notes in time is harder than long complicated things,,,,it de tunes the notes down and up.

have no idea what thats about,,,
    iv tried all the algorithms even rhytmitic,,,but turning polyphonic all the way was the best i could get

its a really strange thing,,,

I would suggest recording the piano via midi and editing/quantizing it that way. Will give much better results than any audio stretching would

woodsdenis wrote: »
    I would suggest recording the piano via midi and editing/quantizing it that way. Will give much better results than any audio stretching would

ha i know i considering it alright, but its just a lovely sound from the piano,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Alternatively you could just practice the part until you have it right... Another obvious one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

ha i know i considering it alright, but its just a lovely sound from the piano,
    As Denis said, record the MIDI, do your editing, then record the audio. Your Roland has MIDI in as well as out, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

yeah record the midi, edit that, then send it back into your piano and record the new fixed take.
    Alternatively you can just use clever edits and crossfades instead of using elastic time, won't mess with your sound at all and you've got complete control

if6was9 wrote: »
    yeah record the midi, edit that, then send it back into your piano and record the new fixed take.
    Alternatively you can just use clever edits and crossfades instead of using elastic time, won't mess with your sound at all and you've got complete control

hmmmm never thought about editing it into place,,, probably cause iv had awfull trouble trying to get rid of those god dam clips ha,,,even when i lind rthe waveform up to zero or crossfade i still hear the clips AGH!
    ha,,but yeah i do record midi notes first usually when im recording guitar, its good way to kep in time,

madtheory wrote: »
    As Denis said, record the MIDI, do your editing, then record the audio. Your Roland has MIDI in as well as out, right?
    yah it does i recently bought a midi lead and have started recording midi,,,,iv made nice piano sound too using expand plug in, mixed few pianos and a bell to make it nice and piano-ey

but question,,,,is there a way to take the sound of the roland and use them as midi sounds?
    like take the piano sound from it or the strings or bells sound?
    just wondering, im kinda new to using midi instruments, usually just spend alot of time making em with the mouse ha

• Advertisement

Yes, send MIDI out of the computer in to the ROland, and it will trigger it just like XPand.

madtheory wrote: »
    Yes, send MIDI out of the computer in to the ROland, and it will trigger it just like XPand.

oh cool!
    do i need to change the inputs of the cables then??
    or just do it all in protools,,
    i usually have cable from roland output to mbox input,,,i dont need to reverse that do i?
    i know prob silly question, just double checking

Use two MIDI leads. See if you can disable local control on the Roland too. If not, set MIDI thru to off in PT. Otherwise, it gets a note from the keyboard, and again from the computer. Causes phasing, and halves polyphony.

Advertisement