Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah i cant wait for this tbh, swg was my fav mmo. i played it until they done away with holocrons.

And no need to be nervo as Bioware are looking after this one, not the retsrds of sony ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mediafreak

glad to hear Bioware's in charge of this one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bioware being in charge should hopefully mean they get a good storyline in there. I just hope they have quests/events that actually change things in the game. I'm sick of nothing making any difference in online games (excluding Eve of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

EVE in my opinion got too big for it's boots, and the number of people on the server, plus the larger and larger ships available, kinda ruined it for me... awesome game though.

Not the biggest star wars fan but cannot fricken wait for this game. Will need a new PC and dunno where i'll get time to play it but it's gonna be awesome from what i've seen so far. Great team working on it and I'd be shocked if it wasn't better than SwG. Let's hope so anyway.

That trailer is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

More Star Wars is usually a good thing but this looks like it could be another generic Team 1 vs Team 2 MMO. Not that thats a really bad thing.. It seems so many people are in MMO's for the A.I. bashing elements.

Still too early to tell anything though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I simply Cant wait for the game. The trailer is awesome but lets be fair its only a trailer, I'm waiting for gameplay trailers before i start getting excited.

People are hailing this game as a WoW killer, Them's fighting words if yous asks me. Im not sure myself if it will topple WoW but one thing i can say for sure is that its going to be a million times better than galaxies ever could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Amazing trailer that is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I've watched that trailer about a million times in the last 2 weeks and i can safely say that those 3 minutes are better than the last 3 SW films put together:P

The game will probably suck, but if they produce a few more of them ill buy it just to reward them:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

'AL wrote:
    [EN;60685803']People are hailing this game as a WoW killer, Them's fighting words if yous asks me.
    They also hailed Age of Conan and Warhammer as a Warcraft killer...they need to stop hailing these games.

I have high hopes for this with Bioware at the helm. Hopefully, as quoted below, they can make an excellent story with actual consequences.
    A major focus in the game is on developing characters' individual stories[15] and, in October 2008, BioWare considered this game to have more story content than all of their other games combined.[7] The writing team, which has been working on the game longer than any other developers,[12] includes 12 full-time writers, some of whom have worked on the project for more than two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Dustaz wrote: »
    I've watched that trailer about a million times in the last 2 weeks and i can safely say that those 3 minutes are better than the last 3 SW films put together:P

The game will probably suck, but if they produce a few more of them ill buy it just to reward them:)

you know the sad part is that's absolutely true, plus I'd even hasten to add dustaz that those 3 minutes of the trailer are also better than that tripe called the clone wars thats running on telly at the moment.

Agreed Kiith i don't buy into the hype machine either, granted im a massive WoW player myself but i wont stop playing just because this new shiny MMO is coming out. granted after reading what you posted from bioware im pretty psyched about the game now. It sounds like there's allot more to swor than your standard grind to deathalthon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

I'm not much of a star wars fan, but i am really looking forward to this game. There are so many fantasy MMO's that there is little to distinguish most. This has the potential to be awesome. The fact that it is Bioware behind it just makes the expectations higher. Fingers crossed they can deliver a terrific game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Cinematics dont mean anything really except how much the company is prepared to spend on the game...I dont think it will live up to expectations TBH, Bioware is good and all, but I saw some screenshots and it looks very outdated, but hell if the gameplay owns of course il play.

Outdated compared to what? It's an MMO so you have to compare it to other MMOs... looks great to me.

Outdated compared to any upcoming/in devlopment MMO.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/screens/house/3/display/14464

Looks like SWG but with a much worse 'WoW' cartoon feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

dacookie wrote: »

Uhmm... lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Looks like great fun to me, and it doesnt look too cartoony. Perhaps the human with the lightsabers hair could do with some work. but im guessing that just goes down to how you customise your toon.

And im guessing they are setting a style that will last the tests of time, like wow did.

We will see, bioware can make a great game but...from what I have seen I am not impressed.Pretty much anyone can become a jedi/sith right of the bat, I think any SWG veteran will know that this is a terrible thing.I await for a decent gameplay vid to judge it more.

And to me it give a cartoony feel, I would take SWG graphics over it any day.They are making the game with the same thing like WoW, cant remember exactly what its called but its where the game doesnt look bad on a ****e computer.But in saying that it doesnt look good on a good computer.This is bad IMO.

We will see, bioware can make a great game but...from what I have seen I am not impressed.Pretty much anyone can become a jedi/sith right of the bat, I think any SWG veteran will know that this is a terrible thing.I await for a decent gameplay vid to judge it more.

And to me it give a cartoony feel, I would take SWG graphics over it any day.They are making the game with the same thing like WoW, cant remember exactly what its called but its where the game doesnt look bad on a ****e computer.But in saying that it doesnt look good on a good computer.This is bad IMO.
    I realise WoW is the standard MMO by which all other MMOs must eventually be compared to, but why must people continuously make statements like "...it's just WoW with <insert IP here>"?

The art style is nothing like it, it's a totally different universe and it's largely story driven, something WoW has never really been able to do. In fact, in my opinion, the only similarities between the two are the fact that you kill stuff to xp... and if you use that tenuous link to compare any MMO to WoW you'll find that every MMO is just WoW with <insert IP here> :(

Looks great to me- especially the landscapes. Post pictures of a MMO which is in development with much better graphics... I wouldn't really know of any others. I trust Bioware to develop a stable engine which still looks good- seems to be on track from what I can see.
    As far as being able to choose Jedi at the start I'd say they've learned a lot from SWG so doubt they'll make that mistake again. As long as the Jedi's aren't ridiculously powerful and there are other classes to rival them in different fashions then I can't see there being much of a problem with that.

Have another look at the Galaxies engine and tell me again honestly you'd choose it over Old Republic's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

And they now have some of the dev team from mythic working on the game so expect a buggy pile of crap :(

• Advertisement

Zippitydoo wrote: »
    Looks great to me- especially the landscapes. Post pictures of a MMO which is in development with much better graphics... I wouldn't really know of any others. I trust Bioware to develop a stable engine which still looks good- seems to be on track from what I can see.
    As far as being able to choose Jedi at the start I'd say they've learned a lot from SWG so doubt they'll make that mistake again. As long as the Jedi's aren't ridiculously powerful and there are other classes to rival them in different fashions then I can't see there being much of a problem with that.

Have another look at the Galaxies engine and tell me again honestly you'd choose it over Old Republic's!

The only other possible issue is that they make the classes not fun. But I think Bioware have enough experience and know-how to avoid that happening.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    And they now have some of the dev team from mythic working on the game so expect a buggy pile of crap :(

Have you got any sources to suggest that Mythic is taking a hand in anything Bioware is working on and not that a member of Bioware's founding team is now taking over Mythic as CEO? Since the press releases seem to just imply that Jacobs' is out and Rob Denton is in.

Even still, if anything, it's a positive for Mythic and for Bioware. Since Mythic will benefit from improved leadership that is more open to criticism/suggestion and Bioware will gain 10+ years experience designing and supporting MMOs.
    Whatever you might have to say about Warhammer, Dark Age of Camelot is and always has been, a gem of a game.

In fact, I could even go so far as to suggest this could be something to be excited over, since it means the potential now exists to have a character driven, well designed Star Wars RPG with the possibility of RvR on a spectrum similar to DAoC or even beyond. I'm not quite foaming at the mouth, but if Warhammer starts turning things around; while under new management, I will definitely be sitting up and taking careful notice of announcements regarding The Old Republic.

An article went up on euro gamer about it,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-mythic-will-help-star-wars-mmo

BioWare has told Eurogamer that Mythic Entertainment will "without a doubt" help out on Star Wars: The Old Republic, as there are "absolutely opportunities to share and learn" within the newly formed RPG/MMO group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Lone Stone wrote: »

The problem with Warhammer wasnt so much the dev team just that they were forced into releasing the game way to early. Also dosent help hyping the hell out of the game and failing to deliver.

Yea that is true , but i use to chat to some guy who tested that game in alpha and he told me it wasn't anything but those Scenario's and then they just stuck the "RvR" on because the Daoc players kept asking for it :s either way it was a bad engine they used to make the game , bad animations bad attitude from Mbj then goa. I hope these kotor guys stick to there own vision if blizzard could make one with no prior experience i hope they do a good job.

Anyway back on topic :P that trailer is bad ass !!!

Ivan wrote: »
    I realise WoW is the standard MMO by which all other MMOs must eventually be compared to, but why must people continuously make statements like "...it's just WoW with <insert IP here>"?

The art style is nothing like it, it's a totally different universe and it's largely story driven, something WoW has never really been able to do. In fact, in my opinion, the only similarities between the two are the fact that you kill stuff to xp... and if you use that tenuous link to compare any MMO to WoW you'll find that every MMO is just WoW with <insert IP here> :(

I was only comparing the "cartoony feel" and the graphics.I always use wow as a comparison because its what most people have played/are currently playing and also because I detest it.Meh, maybe its an l2 thing but most of the top players in l2 generally look down on people playing wow.There is a fairly big learning curve in l2(if you wanna be one of the top pvp clans)L2 is very buff orientated you see.You wont get anywhere without having a decent clan in the end game levels.

I was only comparing the "cartoony feel" and the graphics.I always use wow as a comparison because its what most people have played/are currently playing and also because I detest it.Meh, maybe its an l2 thing but most of the top players in l2 generally look down on people playing wow.There is a fairly big learning curve in l2(if you wanna be one of the top pvp clans)L2 is very buff orientated you see.You wont get anywhere without having a decent clan in the end game levels.
    I have a similar feeling towards people who play Lineage 2 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 murfz

Forget about taking on any other mmo's i just hope it plays good. Any idea of when the release date is? Also I wonder how the voice thing will work out while your in a group. What if the other group member picks something to say that will effect your standing or change the later chat options you get with the npc. Is it done in turn based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Lookin' good.

Has there been any mention of a pvp aspect to the game does anyone know? I haven't come across any...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Funny answer is http://lmgtfy.com/?q=the+old+republic+pvp&l=1, but looks like there isnt much known yet apart from that it will be there.

Advertisement