Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Zippitydoo

Ag we've got ourselves a witty one ;)

Thanks though, there was always gonna be pvp though wasn't there, bioware aren't idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Ok after seeing the games repetative combat system and very average/not so good looking graphics we can safely say the game is going to fail.The only thing that was sort of interesting to me was the story choice things.SWG pre-cu is still better.Hopefully a private server will have that soon.

Regarding the graphics- did we just watch the same video because I can't see where you're coming from.
    To say the combat system looks repetitive is a bit premature in my opinion, only saw a very small segment of it. Isn't all MMO combat repetitive if you think about it? Doesn't make it bad.
    Sounds like you had a bad breakup with SWG- gotta move on dude!

Your graphics card/games must be living in the dark ages buddy.Either that or you prefer a game that is plainly worse than Pre-CU SWG in almost every way possible.If what you meant to say was move backwards...well no thanks.SOE making new star wars MMO anyway.You could say any game is repetative if your putting it that way.So lets put it this way:

Every
    Fight
    Is
    The
    Exact
    Same
    For
    Each
    Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

What are you talking about cookie? The game looks far better than SWG, alot smoother. Graphics are fine, if they went nuts on the graphics, you would be here a week after release moaning about how slow/laggy the game is on your machine.

The combat looks like any MMO tbh, and alot better than SWG. Not sure what game you were playing but it doesnt sound like SWG, in that game you just spammed your most powerful attack and could solo pretty much anything. Only thing i had to group up to kill in that game was those force sensitive chicks on that rancor planet (sorry all names escape me) And SWG ran like ****, things loading up too slow etc

And yes you can be jedi/sith right off the bat, did you read into the story of this game much? Its set thousands of years prior to SWG where jedi/sith were in the many and thank god tbh as if i had to do the grind i did in SWG to become jedi i wouldn't be happy.

Stop basing your opinion on ignorance and wait and see what the games like when you play it, as you know your gonna buy it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know its set in that era, and thats another reason why its gonna suck.Most people will just go jedi/stih.This game is set up to be a massive fail.And no the graphics are not much better than SWG.After seeing the gameplay vids I can say that on a good computer they look about the same except the player models for SWG are way better.The ones for republic have a WoW/plastic feel.And you gotta remember SWG is an old game and you probably ran it on an old pc, so you wouldnt have that loading crap now.

And who cares about the grind for jedi, it was worth it.

Bottom of the line: The graphics are crap compared to other MMOS that are coming out around the same time as this, its going to be heavily instanced, main focus is storyline and pve- once you finish that what next?Nothing.The game has no sort of endgame.Its a button masher.And Bioware is known for good RPGs not MMORPGs.This will be the game where you play for the free month and then quit cause you finished the storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Considering the game isnt even in beta yet it looks bad ass.
    The only thing is havent seen any actual MMO parts of it just seems like a monthly sub single player game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 motd2k

This looks amazing - scared with it being SOE though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wait, when did this become SOE? :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 motd2k

Sorry, you are of course correct, it's not SOE.

I was just reading a slashdot about SOE starting a new casual MMO based on Starwars, and did 2+2=5...

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/73904

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cool new story trailer, Hope, below. They really know how to make their videos.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Savage, Cant wait for this game.... again :D

My only gripe is the lack of classes, 4 on each faction isnt enough if ya ask me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »

Wasn't impressed by the 2nd trailer tbh. It looked amazing but at this stage more ingame footage needed to be shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

nix wrote: »
    Savage, Cant wait for this game.... again :D

My only gripe is the lack of classes, 4 on each faction isnt enough if ya ask me :(
    Don't each of the classes brankch off into two other classes after a certain level?

Also, I'd say the game will automatically be a resounding success because of the Star Wars name, so a lot of classes are probably being held back for expansion packs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Kiith wrote: »

ZOMG :eek:

George ... pay attention to how your films should be made .... that's two in a row that Bioware have just handed ILM their arses ...

Venom wrote: »
    Wasn't impressed by the 2nd trailer tbh. I need a vacation

Fixed that for you Venom :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Agreed, those two trailers in short have been better then any fight ive seen in ANY star wars film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I didn't know they could throw hadukens.

The thing that worries me most about this game is the fact that most subscribers will probably play as Sith, the rest as Jedi and anyone left will be screwed.

I didn't know they could throw hadukens.

The thing that worries me most about this game is the fact that most subscribers will probably play as Sith, the rest as Jedi and anyone left will be screwed.
    From what I've read, I think that may only be a temporary thing as each character class has a seperate story line, so people will have lots of alts cover all them.

Also, you'll still get loads of people being the less "sexy" classes since they're still the basic classes from other MMO's and people will have their favourites. I thought when I started Lord Of The Rings Online that everyone would be rangers, but a lot of people went for the support classes like the Minstrel and Burglar who aren't exactly the coolest sounding guys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I for one will be starting with a Smuggler for the Galactic Republic. Jedi's can be cool, but Han freakin Solo is cooler. After that, will try a Bounty Hunter and a Jedi/Sith.

I'm going to be a trooper because I'm so bad at MMO's that I usually end up as cannon fodder anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

I'm really hoping that this lives up to expectation as I'm a massive Star Wars fan/Bioware fan and still regard knights as the best rpg I've ever played. At the moment all we're seeing so far is impressive trailers and until I actually see some gamelay footage I can't really judge it

I've a funny feeling though that it's gonna be a huge letdown to be honest. The graphics do look an awful lot like Wow and I'm hoping that this is'nt an avenue Bioware are going down. I think they should design a game that stands on it's own merits rather than copying someone elses.

On a side note one MMO that looks really beautiful and is shaping up to be something special is the new GW2. Some of the gameplay footage looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Why does the Dark Side always seem to win usually. The Sith always apppear to be stronger then the Jedi in one on one battles, and they always seem to almost cripple the Republic. First in KOTOR, when the Sith first came under Revan and Malak and they almost beat the Republic if it weren't for Bastilla and her Battle Meditation. Then in this new game coming out it seems to be the same thing. Also Darth Sidious did actually manage to do it. But anyway just something I noticed from the Star Wars universe. It seems to repeat itself.

By the way here are some videos I found on youtube detailing the events of Star Wars The Old Republic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6FAkhbMM4&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vB41d3Cwcg&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7dcWLWKnXM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcctAmxO_Q&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfN1JMIv84&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qG3vIOe7SQ&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-2YA9DC80&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmUkKAjCgr4&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Why does the Dark Side always seem to win usually. The Sith always apppear to be stronger then the Jedi in one on one battles, and they always seem to almost cripple the Republic. First in KOTOR, when the Sith first came under Revan and Malak and they almost beat the Republic if it weren't for Bastilla and her Battle Meditation. Then in this new game coming out it seems to be the same thing. Also Darth Sidious did actually manage to do it. But anyway just something I noticed from the Star Wars universe. It seems to repeat itself.

By the way here are some videos I found on youtube detailing the events of Star Wars The Old Republic

The Jedi don't rule the Republic or GA, while their were Jedi generals mostly is just some politician telling everyone what to do, while the Sith have a dictator. A group of varying sizes Vs. an empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I known the game is going to be nothing like that, but frak me if that didn't get any Star Wars fan's blood pumping I dunno what would!

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Shiminay wrote: »
    I known the game is going to be nothing like that, but frak me if that didn't get any Star Wars fan's blood pumping I dunno what would!

Really looking forward to getting stuck into this.

Yeah those trailers are getting me pumped, along with there being a job opening in my company to work on that game. EXTRA PUMPAGE.

Sweet :D

The hiring continues in Galway for their support centre too as I understand it, I have one friend living there who's waiting to hear back on a management job.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Methionine

Didn't know anything about this game until recently. I'm not really into MMO's but I do like RPGs and the original Star Wars. I loved the KOTOR games (even if KOTOR 2s ending was broken).

They're claiming that each class has its own roughly 100 hour story and there are 8 classes. I.e. It appears to be KOTOR x 8 :) plus the MMO side of things.

• Advertisement

Gabe from Penny-Arcade's been playing the beta and they allowed him to talk about it (scroll down). This news pleases Morbo :)

Advertisement