Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

access being denied

Options
  • 04-06-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

my daughter is 12 now, and has been with me every weekend friday to sunday since she was born. our relationship is super strong , she keeps asking when will she be old enough to come live with me forever. my babys mother is married with another child and has allways made things hard . 2years ago she cut our time together in half it nearly killed me but to keep the peace allowed it .she is acting the maggott again and i wont stand for it .if i bring her to court for access what would be my chances any body any advice .i have allways paid maintanance she currently gets 85 euro a week.i am not my own daughters guardian im not even down on her birth cert .any advice will be truly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You can and should seek both guardianship and greater, regular access, given your circumstances. If you have a strong involvement with your daughter, then you will get both without difficulty via the courts, IMO.

What is important is that you keep a record of all payments and access, as well as where access has been denied or obstructed, so that you can show to to the court that you have been both involved and responsible and the mother has not.

I would suggest you tell her mother, by registered letter, that this is what you want and she can agree to it or you will be forced to take her to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭sweetswing

thank you very much for your advice,i will be looking into it on monday. hopefully it will put an end to my having to beg to see my little princess:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shaz00

No parent should have to beg to see their kids. i totally agree with the reply above if she isn't playing fair with you then u may have no other choice but to go to court. you sound like a decent guy and it says an awful lot about you that you've stuck around all these years - there should be more like you out there. my cousin went to court recently and was granted extra visiting hours - he did keep records and notes of all payments, of all previous visiting and extra times he'd taken his son to help his ex out.

Hope it works out for you.

thanks shaz everything you said is appreciated .just had murder with my little girls mother[again] so off to court i go. tryed my best to stay out of them but there is only so much i can take. thanks again shazoo

def sounds like your only option if she isn't going to play fair well then the courts will make her, and i mean ur daughter will benefit more from it too. def contact your solicitor on monday and get the process started.

• Advertisement

first thing on monday ill be on the phone . just worried about lies . she can cry at will an can be pretty convincing. i have heard horror storys from people i know where they go to court have to listen to a pack of lies storys turned around ,and they walk away with less than they started. chance i have to take :confused: the wheels are in motion now any way so no holding back now . thanks again shaz

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Op, I think that you are doing the right thing by taking it to court if the Mother won't be fair, Beware of the lies but remember solicitors are aware that people tell lies in these situations, your daughters opinion counts too so its looking good for you, especially in getting guardianship, you are her next of kin. Best of luck with everything sounds like you are a great dad

hi, just checking in and to see if things have got any better for you - did you make the phone call ?? Hope you got to spend some time with your daughter this wkend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

hey there,
    I'm on the other side of your situation, as i'm a singel mum, but my daughters father is the one who acts the maggot.

i brought him to court 3 years ago to get him to see my daughter.

it was the best thing i ever did.

you have one thing in your favor, your daughter is 12 and the court will take into account what she wants over both what you and the mother want.

the judge doesnt tend to listen to sob stories if you go in with a stack load of evidence. any emails txts bank statements phone bills photos of days out birthdays everything.

if you walk in prepared and she justr cries the judge will see right through it.

best of luck let us know how it went for you

shaz00 wrote: »
    hi, just checking in and to see if things have got any better for you - did you make the phone call ?? Hope you got to spend some time with your daughter this wkend
    didnt get her this weekend:( applied to the courts for regulated access and guardian ship ,im getting educated by two fantastic guys ,there is nothing about the family law process that they dont know:) i got to talk to my daughter by phone and i will be getting her this weekend ,happy days . thanks again im feeling so much better now the process has started

• Advertisement

*Page* wrote: »
    hey there,
    I'm on the other side of your situation, as i'm a singel mum, but my daughters father is the one who acts the maggot.

i brought him to court 3 years ago to get him to see my daughter.

it was the best thing i ever did.

you have one thing in your favor, your daughter is 12 and the court will take into account what she wants over both what you and the mother want.

the judge doesnt tend to listen to sob stories if you go in with a stack load of evidence. any emails txts bank statements phone bills photos of days out birthdays everything.

if you walk in prepared and she justr cries the judge will see right through it.

best of luck let us know how it went for you
    thanks for the advice .i have friends just like your x , cant under stand guys like that . you sound like a cracking mother and i wish you all the best

Hi Sweetswing, dat is great to hear, glad u contacted the courts, def the right way to go and u sound like ur in great hands. Hope it all works out well for you, keep goin down that path now and as quoted above the courts will take ur daughters feelings into consideration too. Keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Yasmine

Fathers rights for their children in Irelans is crap the mother is always right in the courts and i think its just awfull THE CHILD has the right to see both parents equally not just the father every second weekend. Its a disgrace this country

Advertisement